Failing on deadlifts due to grip

Options
adjoa84
adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
Hi there,

Hoping for some advice from those more knowledgeable than me, I've tried gloves and pad grips but they were too big. I'm already on mixed grip. What should I try next? Chalk? Straps? I'll continue to hunt for smaller gloves but in the meantime is there anything I can do to strengthen my grip? My weights are getting quite heavy for me but I do feel I'm failing to complete sets/reps due to the weights slipping out of my hand rather than fatigue. Many thanks

Replies

• adjoa84
    Options
    To clarify I did normal grip up until 120lbs then mixed grip from there upwards. Currently at around 80kg/176lbs.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Try chalk next, gloves make your grip worse IMO I wouldn't bother with them

If this is effecting your DL sessions use straps and work on your grip separately.

People might disagree with that but as i see it if you are training heavy rows or deadlifts........you are training heavy rows and deadlifts, not your grip. So don't let your grip diminish your results from those sessions when you can just as easily train grip at the end or on a separate day.

Training grip is pretty simple, pick up a heavy weight....hold for as long as possible........then repeat.
  • adjoa84
    Options
    Thanks for your response.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Try chalk next, gloves make your grip worse IMO I wouldn't bother with them

If this is effecting your DL sessions use straps and work on your grip separately.

People might disagree with that but as i see it if you are training heavy rows or deadlifts........you are training heavy rows and deadlifts, not your grip. So don't let your grip diminish your results from those sessions when you can just as easily train grip at the end or on a separate day.

Training grip is pretty simple, pick up a heavy weight....hold for as long as possible........then repeat.

^^I agree with this.

Chalk can really help. If your gym does not allow it, try liquid chalk.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I just ordered some ball thing from amazon that is supposedly just as good as chalk, without the powder. I looked at the liquids, but they seem a bit expensive.
  • adjoa84
    Options
    Thanks!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    There's no shame in using straps. You can still work grip strength in other ways. You'll find people with the most developed backs use straps.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    There's no shame in using straps. You can still work grip strength in other ways. You'll find people with the most developed backs use straps.

It's true that there is no shame in using straps, but it might not be advisable for a beginner to use straps before grip strength is developed.

OP, gloves make it harder to grip the bar if you have smaller hands already (and you probably do, as a woman). The reason is that they increase the circumference of the bar, and it is harder to grip a larger cylinder. Okay that sounds kind of dirty. Hope you see what I mean, though--imagine hanging from a bar that's .75" wide vs. one that's 1.5" wide.

The mixed grip does give you more leverage over the bar; I used it for a while before switching to an overhand grip and the hook grip. The hook grip is the strongest and safest, but it's harder to do if you have small hands. The overhand grip does work once you develop your grip strength.

If you want to develop grip strength while not overdoing deadlifts, you could do farmer's walks or something similar.

Upshot: ditch the gloves and those grip pads
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give the ball thing or liquid chalk a try. AND do some extra grip work at the end of my sessions. A big part of me says it's not worth it to keep adding heavy weight if my grip can't handle it, to just be patient and let my forearms catch up.
  • adjoa84
    Options
    Thanks again everyone, great suggestions here!

Adjoa
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking for now so we can keep track of currently active threads easier. Please PM ether myself or SideSteel if you have any further questions or comments, and include a link to this thread and we will unlock.
This discussion has been closed.