Monitors and FSA

traveljjo
traveljjo Posts: 35 Member
Hi all,

I know there is that other thread on monitors, but I was unsure if I should post a new thread. Plus I didn't know if anyone would notice my question. Please let me know the protocol!

I have had a heck of a time buying a monitor and using my flex spending account (FSA). The Precision Xtra is not as common, but I finally got CVS to order it, although they had no item number, and buying it was a hassle (they rung up a different item at the same cost). Amazon purchases are rejected by the bank that issues the card bc they can't prove its a flex item. So I purchased some ketone strips from my regular bank account but it annoys me. At any rate, does anyone have FSA ideas or locations they use? Not sure if I can buy from Canada with FSA card or not. I am looking for deals of coarse... these strips are expensive~ much better deals on Amazon. The 100ct of BG strips was $189 at walgreens, and only $35 on Amazon. What in the world!

The pharmacist suggested I ask my doctor for a prescription and then I would only have to pay co-pays (since the strips are so costly). Not sure what those are. Ill try that route because FSA has to cover a prescription. Hopefully she will cooperate. I was in there multiple times with dizziness.

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Last year, I didn't do FSA (because I already used up the funds) but after I explained to my diabetic doc, he gladly wrote me a script. He stated that my insurance might not cover it because they usually give ketone meters only to type 1 diabetics. But if you aren't dealing with insurance, all you need is a note from the doctor. You don't have to have a Rx for the strips for FSA. The FSA law will allow for any medical supplies or over-the-counter-drugs/vitamin IF you have a note from your doc saying you need the item. For example, if you are pregnant and you need an OTC vitamin, you can FSA it with a doc's note.

You fax the Doc's note in, the FSA form, with your receipt for the meter supplies/strips. Make sure nothing else is on the receipt.. then you should be good to go.

And I would suspect that as long as you are using American dollars to pay for a Canadian supply, that will work.

You can always ask your HR department. Or google FSA rules and regulations. Our company uses PayChex.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• traveljjo
    traveljjo Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks Dan.

This does help! I copied it so I could take it in. thanks so much!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    traveljjo wrote: »
    Thanks Dan.

This does help! I copied it so I could take it in. thanks so much!

Please correct me if I'm wrong (after you talk to your HR)...

Dan the Man from Michigan

• x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    If you're looking for a ketone monitor there is a promo going on for a free one right now. I got a free NovaMax awhile back, but seems like now they're doing a similar promo with FreeStyle.

https://www.freestylepromise.com/enroll/?cid=org_ADC_Y14M03NONDORG01C02&responseTrackingCode=ADC_Y14M03NONDORG01C02&icid=www.abbottdiabetescare.com