What non-keto things do you find yourself craving and what substitutes have you found?

Options
photo_kyla
photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
I know for me, I crave cheesy snacking things ( I probably should have owned stock in Cheetos and Smartfood).
I tried one of the no-carb cheetos recipes out there and it was basically an unsweetened meringue with tiny shreds of cheddar folded in. I just couldn't get past the texture. I do like these low-carb "goldfish" crackers that I found ( http://www.ruled.me/keto-recipe-better-goldfish/ ) so maybe the answer is to make them in stick form for when the craving strikes.

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't crave anything in particular, I just miss crunchy foods. I try to substitute when I can but it's not the same. I may have had a Dorito addiction before ;)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I get the urge to dive headfirst into something the kids are eating occasionally. But I have my Torani syrup coffee or nuts, with their fatty saltiness, kicks any chip cravings. For other chocolate cravings, I just ignore them. Before I'd just end up eating all the chocolate in the house. So I just eat something I can have. My fav cheese usually, but like I said, I rarely have cravings ever any more, except steak and bacon. Or randomly, raw broccoli with ranch, which I had last night. Who craves veggies? LOL!!
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I rarely crave anything from my former carb-filled life. Oh, once in a while I get an urge for a slice of traditional pizza, but I can sure live with the alternative workarounds I've tried.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Once in a while, while cruising the grocery store, I'll look at something fondly, like Cheerios, and think, I used to love those. Actual craving? Not really. Just keep on walking.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    For crunchy, try pork rinds, zero carbs. Can dip into just about anything chips could do.

I just made some Parmesan chips. I haven't got the time and temp right, but 2nd batch was really good, couldn't stop eating them. Basically, take fresh shredded Parmesan cheese, put on baking paper, about 1/2" deep. put in oven, 10-15 minutes at 325. First batch I over cooked, 2nd batch, I undercooked. It's much better to undercook, than overcook. (I threw the over cooked ones away). I will try againg until Goldilocks approves.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I get the urge to dive headfirst into something the kids are eating occasionally. But I have my Torani syrup coffee or nuts, with their fatty saltiness, kicks any chip cravings. For other chocolate cravings, I just ignore them. Before I'd just end up eating all the chocolate in the house. So I just eat something I can have. My fav cheese usually, but like I said, I rarely have cravings ever any more, except steak and bacon. Or randomly, raw broccoli with ranch, which I had last night. Who craves veggies? LOL!!

Sugar Free Salted Caramel Torani syrup (*)
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Needed something crunchy earlier found sweet pickles with no sugar added that fit the bill perfectly yummy.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Needed something crunchy earlier found sweet pickles with no sugar added that fit the bill perfectly yummy.

Hi thinner, what was the brand name of those pickles and where did you buy them?

I would like to try them. They sound yummy.

• ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Dan I got them at walmart. They are new I think cause I haven't noticed them before
    They are made by vlasic.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I crave crunchy - so I eat pork rinds topped with many different things.

I crave chocolate desserts and hot chocolate - so I make very low carb desserts and a low carb hot chocolate.

I crave italian foods - so I substitute zucchini or cauliflower for the pasta and eat with alfredo sauce and meat.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    I crave crunchy - so I eat pork rinds topped with many different things.

I crave chocolate desserts and hot chocolate - so I make very low carb desserts and a low carb hot chocolate.

I crave italian foods - so I substitute zucchini or cauliflower for the pasta and eat with alfredo sauce and meat.
    Dan I got them at walmart. They are new I think cause I haven't noticed them before
    They are made by vlasic.

Thank you, I will look for them next time I go to Walmart. I love all kinds of pickles.

• embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mmm low carb hot chocolate ... thats what i have often to . stevia , cocoa ,bit of milk or cream lulalacroix? or should u do like a bulletproff coffee style but w cocoa?
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't crave anything lately because my results keep me so motivated that there is no way I would cheat but my treats are : peanut or almond butter ( the latter one is very expensive in Poland :neutral_face: ) , whipped cream with stevia and a bit of real cocoa or baked ricotta cheese with vanilla and stevia. Tastes just like cheesecake.
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Semifredo wrote: »
    baked ricotta cheese with vanilla and stevia. Tastes just like cheesecake.
    This does sound good...
    I don't see any recipe on
    Pinterest yet, either...
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's my "invention". I mix 150g of ricotta cheese with a yolk and add some vanilla flav. and stevia and I put it in the oven like a muffin untill it gets a little brown and it dries a bit. Then I put some maple syrup on top ( one of those 0 kcal ).
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Semifredo wrote: »
    It's my "invention". I mix 150g of ricotta cheese with a yolk and add some vanilla flav. and stevia and I put it in the oven like a muffin untill it gets a little brown and it dries a bit. Then I put some maple syrup on top ( one of those 0 kcal ).

Nice...this recipe.
    Respectable Fat:P,C, too.
    Thx..!