Blood sugar levels yoyo-ing

faw1001
faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
So I bought myself a new toy...a blood ketone and glucose meter
And I have been playing with it the past few days checking my blood sugar before and after meals/drinks, as well as ketones once a day in the morning
My blood glucose readings are pretty up and down between 3.6 mmol (65 mg/dl) and 6.6 mmol (119 mg/dl).
I had a reading of 6.6 mmol when I got up this morning before eating or drinking anything!! (My Ketones were still 1.4 though :) )

Does anyone else find their readings jump up and down like this?
Does anyone have tips on stabilising blood sugars?
I am using macros of 75/20/5 atm, only eating at lunch and dinner, and having only water and coffee with heavy cream in between meals.

Replies

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    How long have you been ketoing? I have 40mg swings, but I'm T2 and have issues with dawn phenomenon
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    edited January 2015
    I was also wondering how long you've been on keto. I'm a Type 2 who takes no medication. When I first started on a ketogenic diet, my blood glucose was in the mid to high 200 mg/dl range (hemoglobin A1c was 12.5). In the past 2+ months, it's dropped considerably. My BG low is now typically around 79 mg/dl, with spikes around 100-115 after meals. So yes, there are ups and downs. That's completely normal, and your ranges don't seem out of the ordinary at all. In fact, I would say that compared to most people eating a standard American diet, you're doing great.
  • faw1001
    nill4me wrote: »
    How long have you been ketoing?
    9-10 weeks

• faw1001
    SteveKroll wrote: »
    I was also wondering how long you've been on keto. I'm a Type 2 who takes no medication. When I first started on a ketogenic diet, my blood glucose was in the mid to high 200 mg/dl range (hemoglobin A1c was 12.5). In the past 2+ months, it's dropped considerably. My BG low is now typically around 79 mg/dl, with spikes around 100-115 after meals. So yes, there are ups and downs. That's completely normal, and your ranges don't seem out of the ordinary at all. In fact, I would say that compared to most people eating a standard American diet, you're doing great.
    Thank you :)