Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

organic coffee

rendress269
rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
I'm trying to practice what I tell others. "The best way to start eating clean is to replace the items you use most often with healthier, organic items." My approach to clean eating is to buy minimal processed items and use as many fresh AND local products as possible.

I'm a huge coffee fanatic. I've cut back to about 4 cups per day due to calorie counting from at least 6-8 cups daily!

So this week I bit the proverbial bullet again and bought organic coffee. I've tried this in the past and had difficulty justifying the cost difference. I can get over that issue, but flavor wise the organic I purchased (Harris Teeter/ Community coffee brand) just isn't cutting it.

I'm interested in your thoughts on eating clean and organic coffee?

Replies

• ninayoungdog617
    ninayoungdog617 Posts: 55 Member
    Hi Rendress269,
    Thanks for the friend request. My take on clean eating is similar to yours. I buy fresh produce, locally grown and stick to lean protein. I'm not really shopping organic though. I do not eat any processed food, fast food or white flour or sugar. Whole grains are a must for me. Carbs are not bad if you stick to whole grains watch portion size. I love the flavors of fresh produce and fresh herbs. Organic coffee, I've never heard of it before. I love my coffee too! I'm drinking hot tea throughout the day and I find it helps with hunger as well as a natural diuretic. Sometimes when I think I'm hungry a cup of Earl Grey tea satisfies me. Good luck on your quest to get healthy.
  • rendress269
    I've read that replacing green tea for coffee will help with the caffeine. I do use green tea in my morning smoothies and somwtimes with meals. It's just not the same for me:(

I did mix my organic blend with my dark roast Maxwell House and the flavor is much better. I guess I'll drink half the pesticides for now and "wean" myself slowly!

As for organic...been on again off again. In warmer months I have a backyard garden in which I use organic practices. I started an herb garden last year in my front flower bed. So far I've been successful with oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage and parsley. My cilantro eas a bust & not sure if the lemongrass will make it thru the winter.
    Our local farmer's market has 2 organic practice farms with delicious veggies. I just signed up for a farm share program with one. Excited about that. Organic fruits are harder to come by locally though.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 233 Member
    In the 1960's use of the pesticide DDT was outlawed in the US. Production was not halted, it simply could no longer be used in America. It is still produced and exported to among other places South America. Much coffee (and during winter months produce) consumed in the US unless certified organic is sprayed with DDT &/or other pesticides potentially outlawed for use by US law. So if you drink coffee drink organic. DDT accumulates in body tissues & organs. Not a healthy product to drink on a daily basis.
  • rendress269
    In the 1960's use of the pesticide DDT was outlawed in the US. Production was not halted, it simply could no longer be used in America. It is still produced and exported to among other places South America. Much coffee (and during winter months produce) consumed in the US unless certified organic is sprayed with DDT &/or other pesticides potentially outlawed for use by US law. So if you drink coffee drink organic. DDT accumulates in body tissues & organs. Not a healthy product to drink on a daily basis.

Thanks for the insight. Coffee is my weakness. Decreased from 6-8 cups day to 4 while dieting. I will have to so some more research to find an organic blend I enjoy.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Try a different kind of organic coffee. You will eventually find one you love!
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    I also buy organic coffee. I found one I really like it's called Cameron's. I like all their flavors but I'm drinking French Roast right now. I buy organic because of the Fair trade thing, I worry about people having decent working conditions.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    I had no idea, thank you.
  • auntjudith254
    auntjudith254 Posts: 29 Member
    If there's a local coffee brewer near you, try them. Request it if they don't have it. Deans Beans is a good brand. Buying fair trade is important too.