Beginner

Options
Hello! I am interested in toning my stomach and arms. After having 6 boys, my core is not strong. What is considered strength training? Any exercises that you can suggest for beginners?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Check out YouTube or search online for free strength training workouts for beginners.

• cal0264
    cal0264 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! Good on you that you're beginning- congrats! Since you're just starting out, I'd recommend MACHINE TRAINING for a few months to help initiate initial strength (re-)building. DieHard bodybuilders will normally tell you 1) NO MACHINES!!! and 2) the "real results" come from loose weights: the latter is true because they activate and recruit "stabilizer" muscles. HOWEVER, for safety, I'd recommend MACHINES first to help you rebuild and retrain your muscles. Obviously, you'd have to have a gym membership or your own machines at home. If that's not an option, get some dumbbells in TWO DIFFERENT WEIGHTS from Walmart using a weight you're comfortable with (no less than 8 lbs though- you still want to make it challenging. I'd recommend 8&12 or 10&15lb). You can try P90X (DVDS) or, like the previous post, research some STARTING workouts for abs and arms online. TONS of good info out there...

When you're ready to move on and up, try leanitup.com (beginner/intermediate) or bodybuilder.com (need your big-girl pants for this one) for full workouts. Some include meal plans too!

Just remember to keep it challenging but allow REST PERIODS for muscle group recovery: so, for example, if you workout triceps/biceps TODAY, don't do them again TOMORROW: they need time to repair/recover.

Stay dedicated and on a regular routine even if you're exhausted and don't wanna do it- it's worth it and you WILL see the results.
    -
    Hope this helps! Good luck.
  • NezyRumRunner
    NezyRumRunner Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    wow! Cal0264! so much info and so welcoming...I appreciate your answer :)
    i think it really helps folks that are just starting off
  • hcolyer
    Options
    I want to strength train. I am 41 and never done anything like this. Were do I start?
  • cal0264
    cal0264 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    HCOLYER. It can be intimidating to start strength training- and until I attended a Crossfit class, I didn't realize how much of what I had been taught and SEEN was WRONG.

Start by EDUCATING YOURSELF: watch some workouts online at reliable sites (try bodybuilder.com, leanitup.com, testosterone nation). FORM IS IMPERATIVE to avoid injury and to work the right muscles the right way. You could even attend a Crossfit class (you can normally get a good rate via Groupon /Livingsocial/Amazon Local (and go thru Ebates or Fatwallet for cash back)) but make sure you check out the gym's rating to ensure you're going to someone certified and knowlegeable.

If you're a "But I wanna start NOW" person, join a gym (some range from $22-$30/mo) and start with the machines. BUT READ THE DIRECTIONS first and think about what muscle groups you should be engaging (so you don't use the wrong ones. Example: I noticed when I started Romanian deadlifts, I was using my back (BAD) rather than my hams. Think about what you're doing and WHERE you should feel it). Some gyms also have "personal trainers"... for a price. But remember, if you can afford it, it's worth training with a TRAINED PROFESSIONAL to make sure your form is right. Even record yourself so you can evaluate your form.

And don't rush through your workouts: warmup, workout with an appropriate weight, don't jerk the weights or do rabbit-lifting. Be careful of your muscles/tendons and work them fairly.