Doubt about alternating sets

Options
paprad
paprad Posts: 321 Member
Hi, I had a doubt about alternating sets in the Stage 1 workout. As I understood it, the idea of combining 2 workouts in an alternate set is that the second workout uses different muscles from the first, so the recovery period is longer, even as you are working out. However, in Workout B for Stage 1, he has given Dumbbell Shoulder Presses to be followed by Lat Pull Downs alternately. Since both these use upper body, arms, biceps, shoulders, how does this make sense? Wouldn't it be better for Dumbbell Shoulder Presses to be paired with Lunges?

Replies

• LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Lat pull down works lats and rhomboids. Shoulder press works deltoids.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    This is a typical pull/push combo, like chest press and row.
  • paprad
    Options
    No, I get that they don't use the exact same muscles, but arms are being used in both and won't they get tired out ? Is there a reason why we shouldn't do sets as follows:

lat pull down, lunge

and

shoulder press, swiss ball crunch
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The arm has several different muscles - some work for pushing, some for pulling. The alternating sets alternate between pushing moves and pulling moves.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    yes, but the muscles like the biceps are secondary to the lift. I understand your question, but the same thing could be said about the core work of the shoulder press and the SB Crunch.
  • paprad
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. It occured to me today that even the Workout A has pushups followed by seated rows - a similar sort of issue as lat pull downs and DB press - so there must be some reason why he has paired them this way. I guess I shouldn't over think it, and just trust in the system!