I'm a "Constant Craver" - what are you?

Options
sijomial
sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
Took the test from the BBC Horizon program that seeks to work out what "type" of eater (or overeater) you are and then suggest different diet strategies which may lead to successful weight management....
I came out as 55% Constant Craver, 38% Feaster, 7% Emotional Eater.
So basically I want to eat all the time and when I do I want to eat lots of food - can't imagine why I've struggled with my weight for my entire life! :smile:

bbc.co.uk/guides/z2csfg8#zt83b9q

And the recommended type of diet for Constant Cravers is Intermittent Fasting (they call it intermittent dieting). Well, well - the most successful and easiest weight loss and maintenance method I've ever tried is 5:2.

Food for thought (excuse the pun!). Would be interesting to know what type of eaters other successful 5:2'ers are, my 5:2 friends seem heavily biased towards Constant Cravers too.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    75% constant craver! No big surprise.

I'm intrigued by the version of IF that they're using - it's a combination of IF and low carbing, and requires 2 consecutive 800 cal days. That seems to be enough to kick the body into producing fat-burning ketones.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm a mix of all three, but 43% Craver, 33% Feaster and 24% EE. Yay, I have all three Problems....guess why I got fat, Sijomial!

Probably why 5:2 is good for me, but daily restriction or 16:8 makes me crazy. My deficite would be pretty low if I did 800 as I am short, so I'm sticking with the 'traditional' version of 5:2.

I may look into the glycemic index a bit more. I already keep my protein higher than I used to and definitely stick to protein and veggies on fast days. They said pasta and grains are low glc. Which really surprised me. Although I know from experience, that grain carbs tend to make me hungry and cause water retention, while potatoes don't. Thus my empirical findings do not fit their 'science'.
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm 52% constant craver, 41% feaster and 7% emotional.

Watching the programme over the last couple of evenings have made me come to the conclusion, I probably need to do 5:2 with a combination of high protein/low GI on my non fast days.

I do agree that one diet doesn't fit all, and a combination of things works for each individual person.

I'll be watching the last one tonight to see what the final outcome is.
  • Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just done this and I am 58% constant craver, 27% feaster and 15% emotional. The 5:2 has been the only programme that I have followed over the years that I have had the willpower to stick to. Long may that continue. This has been a really good programme with lots of interesting information.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I am roughly 1/3 each with emotional being highest, followed by feaster, followed by constant craver. Bottom line for me is anything is a good reason for me to eat.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm 54% constant craver, 41% feaster and 5% emotional.
    Tried 5:2 4:3 with great success about 2yrs ago but fell off wagon last 6 months after period of medication that made me want to sleep all day. Back on it now and found the Horizon view very useful in so many ways. Convinced that this time it really will be a lifestyle for ever
  • davidlinker
    Options
    I am exactly 1/3 each (with Emotional being 34% so it adds up to 100). No wonder I struggle - but 5:2 has helped me lose 10kg in 6 months. My doctor recommended it and it certainly worked for me. It's also something you can just keep doing as on your fast days - you know the next day is a "normal" day and you will eat again. I found though that I don't eat as much even on the non-fast days as my body is getting accustomed to eating less.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Ooh, ooh...first of all, I am very overweight. :o 45% constant craver, 28% emotional and 27% feaster. I'm actually surprised I wasn't higher on the emotional side.
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    38% emotional, 37% constant craver, and 25% feaster.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    im pretty close to all 3 - 40% craver, 35% emotional and 25% feaster
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Definitely got to do this tonight!

I'm curious if anyone has ever heard about types of diets based on body type. There was a fad diet awhile back (I think 6 week makeover???) that had something similar to that- like for my body type (endomorph- lots of fat, etc lol) they said a low carb type diet. I did believe low carb was the only way my body was going to lose weight for a long time, too, just from experience, how it lowered my cravings, and how your body turned to fat for energy. That's why I'm so surprised I haven't changed what I've eaten- only how much and when- and I've lost weight. Kind of a duh moment, but definitely part of the bumps of the road to finding what sticks. Just interesting how many philosophies there are on weight loss and it really comes down to what you can stick to long-term.
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    45 constant craver 40 feaster 15 emotional.
    aka... greedy.
    hence 5:2
  • catchyb
    catchyb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Feaster - it's not my fault, my gut doesn't tell me to stop eating :) just what I needed, another excuse...
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    a gut reaction?
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Very insightful!
    64% constant craver.
    I see why 5:2 has been such a blessing.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Interesting. 47% craver, 33% emotional and 20% feasted ( which I think is more stress related) IF/VLC/LCARB for me. Which is what I do and why I lost 40 pounds!! Lol.
  • Juliemoo1960
    Options
    I did find myself the other day making the excuse of I'm a constant craver so that is why I ate that item
  • JJA14
    JJA14 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I came out as I expected, which is good I suppose...
    54% emo, 37% craver and just 9% feaster.

So I'm supposed to join a group, but I hate diet groups! I love 5:2 - I lost 2st last year doing it, then I've been through a totes emotional time and put half stone back on whilst not following 5:2 properly so I'm back today and ready again!

What I thought was, if I could join a friendly 5:2 group on here then I'd have the best of both worlds for my 2 eating types...Will anyone befriend me??
  • Juliemoo1960
    Options
    JJA14 wrote: »
    I came out as I expected, which is good I suppose...
    54% emo, 37% craver and just 9% feaster.

So I'm supposed to join a group, but I hate diet groups! I love 5:2 - I lost 2st last year doing it, then I've been through a totes emotional time and put half stone back on whilst not following 5:2 properly so I'm back today and ready again!

What I thought was, if I could join a friendly 5:2 group on here then I'd have the best of both worlds for my 2 eating types...Will anyone befriend me??

Hi welcome aboard feel free to add me always around for a chat.
  • WildAlix
    Options
    I'm an 86% constant craver lol. I do not enjoy overeating, even at holidays i just eat until I am full and stop, and I actually eat less and lose weight when I am stressed. But when I am feeling good I am just hungry all day long! Like two hours after I eat I want to eat again. I just started this diet, today is my first fast day but looks like I picked the right diet! A few years ago I did a simple calorie restriction diet and lost 20lb (my goal was only 15!). I really enjoyed it, I actually felt LESS hungry on that diet than usual! But I could not keep it up because logging every calorie was just too tedious. Two days a week of calorie counting seems much more doable. I am doing pretty well for my first day, I am hungry but that's nothing new so oh well! Lol.