Hiking Suggestions Near Estes Park, CO

Options
Desterknee
Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
Hey All,

I'll be in Estes Park for a week and I wanted to do a 3-day backpacking trip. I'm near Rocky Mountain NP, obviously, and I'll definitely do some day-hiking there but I want the backpacking trip to be a little more remote.

Any suggestions? If not I'll just do some backcountry stuff in RMNP.
Thanks!

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've not spent a whole lot of time in that area. But last May, I did a 1 night trip in RMNP on the east inlet trail (which is on the opposite side of the park from Estes Park). The first day, I didn't see a single other person on the trail. The day I left, I saw a ranger, maybe 5 other hikers, and 2 NPS volunteers out on the trail... until I got within a mile or so of the trailhead. So it seemed pretty remote.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I remember doing a short day hike up there and losing the trail in the snow. Tracks every direction. My wife and I were lost about three hours up there without seeing a soul. It was much more remote than we had planned! lol.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've done a few trips to RMNP. All I have done is day hikes, not any backcountry stuff. I do know the East side of RMNP is crawling with people in the prime summer months. The west side is a little less travelled.

My trips to RMNP we pre-fitness days, in fact, my first trip there was my main motivation to quit being a fatass. All the hikes I really wanted to do...I wasn't in shape to do them.

However, here are the hikes I want to do upon returning.

Long's Peak Keyhole Route:

http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/upload/keyhole_route_2011.pdf

And, I'd like to do a trip from the West side over the divide and come down near Bear Lake.
    There are several ways to do that. You will have to get out a trail map and figure it out.
    You can start that process here:

http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/backcountry.htm

When were you planning to go? If it's going to be in prime vacation season you need to get reservations done now.