binge eating and depression/ anxiety medication

Options
Hi everyone. I struggle with anxiety and depression, but mostly anxiety. My anxiety makes me binge sometimes. I am currently not on medication but my therapist thinks I may need them. Has anyone found medication to help with binge eating?

Replies

• Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed prozac for bulimia, severe anxiety & depression. Prozac does have some side effects. I cant say it helped with the restrict - binge - purge cycle, but it did help with anxiety. My binging didnt stop until I quit restricting.
  • glittersparklehamlet
    Options
    I take Citalopram for anxiety and depression. I'm not sure if it has helped my binge eating, maybe at least a little. It hasn't stopped it completely but my dosage is quite low so that might change when it goes up.
  • captjhax
    captjhax Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am on Citalopram as well as Abilify for anxiety and depression. The medications have helped my mood significantly but they didn't stop me from binge eating. However, if your binge eating is related to your anxiety, then being on meds to help that anxiety may help. I've found that seeing a counsellor in addition to my meds has really helped my binge eating. My counsellor also worked on practicing mindfulness with me (especially when eating) and that has helped tremendously.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    I take prozac for depression and it helps me short term.
  • x_makewar_x
    x_makewar_x Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i take a couple meds for bipolar disorder...i wouldn't say any of them alone helped me with binge eating, i think that came from my mood becoming more stable on them.
  • laceyjjj
    laceyjjj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I tried Lexapro and it unfortunately made it increase due to extreme hunger. Side effects are different for everyone. I decided that antidepressants weren't for me but the benefits outweigh these side effects for some. I have found endorphins from running help me to combat depression.
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I HAVE READ THAT CLONAZEPAM, SERTRALINE, & ALPRAZOLAM MAY REDUCE APPETITE. I'M GUESSING THIS IS WHY SOME DRUGS ARE SAID TO REDUCE THE TENDENCY TO BINGE. I TAKE MEDS FOR CHRONIC ILLNESS THAT REDUCE MY APPETITE YET I CAN BINGE EVEN WHEN MY APPETITE IS LOW. I HAVE FORCE FED MYSELF MORE THAN I CARE TO REMEMBER.

I SUGGEST YOU DO SOME RESEARCH & TALK TO YOU DOCTOR ABOUT ALL OF YOUR PRESCRIPTIONS. AN OPEN MINDED PROFESSIONAL MAY BE ABLE TO FIND MEDS THAT HELP ALL OF YOUR CONCERNS.

I'M NOT YELLING AT YOU. I TYPE BIG BECAUSE I SEE SMALL.

• enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I find that my bingeing is very much tied to my anxiety. Stress is a huge causal factor. I find that when I am stressed I don't want to eat. I have to remind myself to eat meals even if I'm not really hungry, because what invariably happens is that I become ravenously hungry and then binge on anything I can get my hands on.
    I'm on an antidepressant medication to treat my chronic depression. Some meds I've tried have made me gain weight because they caused increased hunger. Wellbutrin is supposed to be associated with mild weight loss, but it didn't help my depression or anxiety. Everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to the medication. It's impossible for you or your doctor to guess which drug might help you with the anxiety and whether that drug will have an impact on your bingeing. I'm afraid you have to go by trial and error.