when do you weigh?

ripemango
ripemango Posts: 534 Member
So, I assume that w 5:2 our weight may fluctuate more than your typical MFP person. Do you weigh yourself weekly? day after your second fast day?

Replies

• eychenn
    eychenn Posts: 64 Member
    I weigh myself daily and use the site TrendWeight to see the overall trend. It actually keeps me motivated to weigh daily, but I know it doesn't work for everyone.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Daily weigh er here too. I track the trend and Saturday is my weekly official weigh in as well as the 29th as my monthly. If the monthly trend is down or stable I'm normally happy as I'm close to goal.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Another daily weigher here but I graph it out and only look at the trends over a week. My weight after my second fast day is always up, but gets sorted after a few days with the required visits.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    When I first started I fasted on Mondays and Tuesdays and then weighing both before and after my fast [Sunday (high weight) and Wednesday (low weight)]. That gave me great numbers to work with.

Now, however, I fast on Saturdays and any other day during the week that fits so I only weigh-in on Sundays (which is probably a low weight).
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    I weigh after fast days so twice weekly at the moment.
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    I weigh daily and use Saturday as my official weigh in day.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    I always weigh after fast days. If I didn't lose what I thought I could I add a fast day. I'm not confident enough for daily weigh-in's yet.
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    I have been advised to weigh in on Fridays ( fasting mon, wed, fri at the moment but will fast mon wed when I am in normal for BMI - 3 lbs away!) think it's a good idea to record once a week though as it will go up and down quite a bit...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Daily - the wild fluctuations are interesting.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Wow guys. Thanks every1 for replying. I plan on weighing weekly and evaluating results monthly. .if that makes sense. I am thinking if i compare monthly weight that i will get a truer reflection of progress, or lack thereof vs comparing week to week. Lemme know if you think this to be an inaccurate assumption.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    I totally agree with you. My monthlies are written on my small year calendar and they are quite encouraging. Great choice.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Daily but I only record losses. Wide swings due to hormones or carbs can be frustrating.
  • SofaKween
    SofaKween Posts: 350 Member
    I'd weigh daily if I could but we have long term visitors at the moment and they keep nicking the scales! So my official weigh in day is Tuesday morning; my FDs are Tuesdays and Friday and figured if the scales were unkind then it would motivate my FDs.
  • pinkvici
    pinkvici Posts: 140 Member
    lulu1066 wrote: »
    I have been advised to weigh in on Fridays ( fasting mon, wed, fri at the moment but will fast mon wed when I am in normal for BMI - 3 lbs away!) think it's a good idea to record once a week though as it will go up and down quite a bit...

I weigh on a Friday too - usually do my fasts on a mon and weds. I'm considering adding a 3rd fast a week but I'm finding it sooooo hard!! It was easy in the summer, so I think it's the cold weather!
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    at least when it's cold I can go to bed early with a cup of tea. Summer has too many bbqs for my liking! stay strong everyone x
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    I usually weigh weekly, on the morning after my second fast but lately I haven't bothered. I know this eating plan works and have reached the "slow but steady" stage (about 5lbs from goal). I also know I'll be sticking to this for the foreseeable future (it's just fits my lifestyle so well) so I just think I'll hop on the scales once a month or so to reassure myself. Am not so hung up on the number now my clothes fit me again. :)
  • JJA14
    JJA14 Posts: 82 Member
    Emma - can't wait for this to happen! I know I will get to that stage too. My friend is already there and now fasts 6:1, but after a holiday or Christmas does 5:2 for a bit to get back to her healthy weight.
    - Roll on next year when I will be heading that way too!
  • BadgerLamb236
    BadgerLamb236 Posts: 823 Member
    I am going to weigh every 4 weeks, before I go to get my hair cut at the crack of dawn (OK, 9:00 but it feels earlier). As my hairdresser only speaks French, and chatters away the whole time, the need to concentrate and respond will distract my mind if the weigh-in is disappointing (my French is improving but no-where near good enough yet). Have a good week everyone.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2015
    I weigh every day. According to Krista Varady the author of everyotherdaydiet (4:3) those who weigh every day have better stats in maintenance. BUT...you must accept the daily fluctuations and not take them personally. Detach the number on the scale from YOU as a person (good or bad).

If you can't separate the fact that you have other factors like TOM, BM, water retention from exercise, macro composition etc, etc...I strongly suggest you weigh weekly or bi-monthly. No need to get a nervous breakdown cause of the scales. That's giving it way TOO MUCH power over you.

As repeated many times on general forum. Gaining all that weight didn't happen overnight. Losing the same weight takes the concerted effort of your body, mind and willpower to make a stream of small "good" choices every day.

ONE day overeating is not the problem. It's when excuses become weeks and months or years. Consistency is key.

Edit: I view daily weighing as a plus. I plug in the numbers in my sheets. That way I have total control. If I maintain over weeks or gain, I'll look over the numbers and see what I did in that period and what I need to change. For me, weighing daily is being given an early warning of what my trends are. As you may understand, I really detest bad surprises, haha. I do understand that others may feel differently though. Each to their own :)
  • MallowBrain
    MallowBrain Posts: 17 Member
    I think I'm going to weigh weekly on a Friday morning and cry if I don't lose weight lol nah I won't really but I may be a tad disappointed. The thing is this is my first week and I know I've made bad choices on my non fasting days and my exercise has been nil but at least it means I can only get better! I need a good kick up the bum to actually leave the house.