shoulder pain

Options
So when ever I do shoulder workout, I have shoulder pain, feels more like joint pain. I experienced it the most with OHP and lateral raises (front or side). Only hurts when I lift, no pain lingering after. I do not think I have any form problems. I have had my shoulder completely give out in middle of a lift before on OHP, using DB 45lb each.

Only thing in past I can think of is that I wrestled a friend and my shoulder popped, could not even throw a baseball well for a bit. But this was 7 yra ago. My shoulder pops now and then.

Curious if I should get this checked out since it is affecting my lifting. Today I was doing OHP with 60lb DB and had to cut it off early due to discomfort and same with lateral raises.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    As someone that had rotator cuff surgery, and general shoulder surgery year later, I've had fun with impingement.

Not sure if you checked on that being reason. I'll describe check PT has done just in case you haven't.

Using half weight on dumbbells doing that front and lateral raises to test both movements. Then listening and feeling for it as you move slowly, if/when the crunches or popping kicks in.

Lateral raises, start with palms facing legs for few reps.
    The palms facing forward.
    Go slow. It may be it's only at a certain point something manifests itself, and it may hopefully be only when wrist/elbow is twisted one direction.
    In which case a slight change during the motion will allow escaping that impingement.
    Then again sometimes twisting motion while doing the lift is the problem too.
    But hopefully you can find that angle that allows it without issue.

Same with front raises.
    Palms towards legs.
    Then palms towards each other.
    Then inbetween angle if neither of those feels good.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I have not looked into impingement. I have been using less weight. Still getting the pain in shoulder on lateral raises.

Also get the pain when doing push ups but no popping.

The popping is not load like a popping knee, its more I hit resistance and then it pops forward.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ughhh, you just made me shudder. I hate that. Especially a big pop and a twang like vibrating tendon finally sliding over something, usually in the middle of a range of motion.

Ya, pain no good. Figuring out how to minimize the popping may help that, may be unrelated enough, though both could have come from same initial injury.

Didn't tackle a wall or something, right?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Definitely get it checked out. In the mean time, I would only do shoulder exercises/movements with a neutral grip.
  • CoachFrenchie
    CoachFrenchie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well tore a rot c in shoukder doing cleans 3 wekks ago; and already back at it this week. My coach had me do rotations front to side with upper arm immobilized. Reinforced something ( i am French so half the time I google what he says..) but maybe some help to you??? Quite impressed with 45 db btw :)
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I have shoulder impingement in my left shoulder. Your pain is exactly what I have experienced. OHP's and Lateral Raises. I would definitely get it checked out. If it is aggravated and inflammed, not likely it will just go away by lifting lighter IMHO. Good luck.