Green beans?

hotsungirl
hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
I had been listing in my mind green beans as a high carb NO for quite a while...then last night I read in Volek/Phinney's Keto-Bible (The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance) where they have it on the "short list of recommended vegetables that can be frequently consumed". (same page 58 where he says avoid starchy ones like potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, corn, carrots, beets, dried beans and peas) 1 cup cooked green beans is 2 g protein, 10 g carbs, 4 g fiber. That's a lot of carbs... I guess I had been linking all beans together, including green beans. Experienced ketos what do you think? Are you eating them?

Thanks,
Caro

Replies

• x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    edited January 2015
    I eat green beans from time to time, albeit in small quantity (like 3 oz or so.) They also have a few grams of natural sugar in them if I am not mistaken.

In any event, they are green veggies, and have never caused me to stall so they're still on my menu :)

Edit: I wanted to add that I'm not new to keto or the site (just wanted a fresh start after an extended break from the website.)
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Yeah, I eat them, and brussels sprouts and sugar snap peas, and sometimes carrots. I also eat squash every now and again. Now, I don't eat carrots and/or squash every day, and I didn't start out eating them. I've only really added them back a bit since I'm closer to goal.
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    So curious when we are looking at a total day and staying keto...could you throw it out in one big meal of food still on the keto list, but all eaten at once? I'm buying some keto strips but contemplating if it is impacted daily or in a big meal? (especially when I want to add a few oz of red wine back in to my day in March ;-)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Green beans are awesome. Chop up onion, bell peppers, mushrooms. Boil/steam some green beans. In a separate pan, Cook bacon, mush, onion and bell peppers (add mush, bell & onion about halfway cooking of Bacon, as not to over-cook them). Drain beans, pour bacon & veggies on top of great beans. Now add secret ingredient; 2-3 tbsp of any kind vinegar, mix & serve. Oh, add season salt and pepper.

In my pre-keto/brain washed days, I would of drained most of the bacon fat out before putting on beans. I love fat, so I don't do that anymore. Your choice.

Enjoy,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I eat them about twice per week. Sauteed in bacon fat, topped with butter, blue cheese and almond slivers. Super yummy!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    I eat them about twice per week. Sauteed in bacon fat, topped with butter, blue cheese and almond slivers. Super yummy!

oh yummy!

I eat them pretty often myself and have since the beginning. Cooked in sausage/bacon fat or butter. I sometimes add sour cream to my veggies or cheese as well. I look forward to them.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Green beans are more of a pod than a bean so that's probably part of it.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Saute in bacon fat with minced shallot. When done I add in chopped up bacon and almond slivers.
    I also green bean casserole from here. http://genaw.com/lowcarb/dotties_green_bean_casserole.html
    I omit the mushrooms and celery though. It's delicious and high in fat.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    I eat green beans, and a bunch of other green veggies, those that grow above ground, and mostly those that are cruciferous (cauliflower, brussels sprouts, kale, collards for example).

For green beans, I get them super fresh, still firm and crisp; trim ends and rinse, microwave lightly covered for 2 1/2 minutes, then toss with warm olive oil and garlic.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Love 'em! Totally eat 'em! Especially sauteed in bacon and butter and garlic.
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    I am sooo doing this today, ust bought bacon9 which i dont normally have)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    I always have bacon! Plus I keep a mason jar of rendered bacon fat in my fridge!