Cranky

Options
So cranky at the end of my fast day I can't hold a conversation. Please tell me that gets better.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It really does get better.

What have you eaten today?
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It really gets better. I feel great on my fast days. It's just one day at a time. Maybe go to bed early ;)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Fats? Are you eating fats? My standard advice with any kind of brain problem - "Eat more fat!" It usually helps.
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    Options
    Yes I'm eating fat and I believe too much. I ate 100 calories of cheese for lunch and then a grilled ham and cheese sandwich for dinner. Normally I eat better than that but it was just one of those nights.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'd feel cranky too if I ate a microscopic piece of cheese and then a sandwich for tea on a fast day!! You need a big plate of steaming veggies with a piece of fish and a big bowl of soup or something similar. The trick is making low calorie meals big and satisfying so they take a long time to eat & similar to digest.I did note however that this was not a 'normal' way of eating for you so maybe there were other circumstances during the evening that added to your being cranky and fasting got the blame! However even if you just have water on a fast day, YES it does get easier!
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    Options
    I'd feel cranky too if I ate a microscopic piece of cheese and then a sandwich for tea on a fast day!! You need a big plate of steaming veggies with a piece of fish and a big bowl of soup or something similar. The trick is making low calorie meals big and satisfying so they take a long time to eat & similar to digest.I did note however that this was not a 'normal' way of eating for you so maybe there were other circumstances during the evening that added to your being cranky and fasting got the blame! However even if you just have water on a fast day, YES it does get easier!

Good point! I made a mexican plate of food the other night with rice, lean ground beef, lettuce, rotel, sour cream for 400 calories and it was fabulous!
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    On those days I just go to bed early and wake up refreshed and feeling awesome!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    It is also important to eat all of your TDEE call on non fast days to avoid getting too much into a deficit. That can also make one cranky.
  • Revcminor
    Options
    I often just have to go bed at 8:00 on my fast day. Getting upstairs away from the kitchen helps of course, but I also just can't manage being around anyone.
  • JJA14
    JJA14 Posts: 82 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I echo everything said above...

Yes, it does get better and you may even find you enjoy fast days and feel happier (I do because I am not obsessing about what I am eating!)

I also agree with what somebody else said about food choices. You need to feel satisfied and spend your few calories wisely. [NB: I make sure I have less than 200 cals on a fast day as I have a sedentary lifestyle.]

FYI: So yesterday I had a huge mugful black redbush tea for b/fast (1cal) a vegetable oxo cube around lunchtime to keep me going and get me warm (office was freezing!) - I had half a cube per cup and had 2 cups spread out! (17cal.) For tea at 5pm I made a quick egg-drop broth: Weak beef stock, 1 egg white, leeks, cauliflower, green beans and broccoli, soy sauce and thai 7 spice. (117cal)
    I then did 1hr on wii fit (nothing too strenuous though) and so fancied a nibble afterwards so had an apple (55cal)
    Ended the day with a large pot of raspberry and echinacea tea (4cal)

Calories in - 183; exercise - 210 (apparently - but it didn’t feel anywhere near that!) so daily calories = -27!!

I also feel that if a fast day isn't going well get to bed early and enjoy it! Make yourself a large herbal tea to take up with you, snuggle up with a book for an hour and enjoy the luxury of being on your own - peace!

Hope that helps!

• jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Yes, I should add too that it does get easier. Like @JJA14 said, I look forward to fast days because I don't have to think too hard about what I will eat. Don't have that many calories to have tons of options. :) And I think my body has adjusted to the rhythm of 5:2.

Drink lots of fluids, keep yourself busy with things that are productive/enjoyable. Remind yourself that tomorrow you will get to eat more. Morning always comes.
  • Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Bed is a good idea to get away from food. Drinking water especially fizzy is a good choice. I sometimes have Metcalfs skinny popcorn as a treat if I have enough cals left at the end of the day.