How to Search Though Keto Group?

DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
Does anyone know how to search posts in the "Keto" group only?

When I hit the search link, it searches all of MFP.

Thank you,

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Good question......
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    Not sure it's possible. I click All Discussions and then input what I want to search in the browser's Find feature, then go through page by page. You can probably go through Google to do it. Let me see if I can figure that out.
  • ElMonstroDeCarne
    ElMonstroDeCarne Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2015
    The easiest way is probably to use Google (like @baconslave mentioned). Put the entire URL of the group in quotes, then what you are searching for:

"community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto" carbs
    "community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto" weight
    "community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto" "fat bombs"
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Look up bool searching
  • DittoDan
    The easiest way is probably to use Google (like @baconslave mentioned). Put the entire URL of the group in quotes, then what you are searching for:

"community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto" carbs
    "community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto" weight
    "community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto" "fat bombs"

First I tried it with fat bombs, only had three hits. I would guess there is over 100 posts on that.

I tried it with my signature and came back with zero results....

Thanks for the suggestion though...

• ElMonstroDeCarne
    ElMonstroDeCarne Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2015
    Ah - I see what you are saying.

Let's open up the search a little. We'll pull out the specific group name and apply @sweetteadrinker2 's suggestion for bool searching:

"community.myfitnesspal.com" ("fat bomb" or "fat bombs")

At first, there will only be two pages of results. On the last page, click "repeat the search with the omitted results included" and the results go from 12 to 75 (with some duplicates, probably, and a few off-site results).

We'll try one more:

"community.myfitnesspal.com" "Dan the Man from Michigan"

This one is interesting - Google says "about 200 results" but only returns 12. Granted, sometimes there would be several posts on one page, but it doesn't explain all of the missing results.

Still, it's a little better than before. Good luck!

P.S. I stumbled across this post by @CyberTone mentioning Google Advanced Search. I had not considered that one but it's also worth a try!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    I'll stick with my pathetic old school Find on Page approach. It works for sure, even though it is time consuming.
    You know what MFP should do? MAKE A DARN SEARCH FUNCTION IN THE GROUPS. (Among a million other things...) I know...I know... I'm a genius. No one in the world thought of that! I wish they would though.
    My husband could whip that up for them in less than 2 minutes.
  • DittoDan
    Ah - I see what you are saying.

Let's open up the search a little. We'll pull out the specific group name and apply @sweetteadrinker2 's suggestion for bool searching:

"community.myfitnesspal.com" ("fat bomb" or "fat bombs")

At first, there will only be two pages of results. On the last page, click "repeat the search with the omitted results included" and the results go from 12 to 75 (with some duplicates, probably, and a few off-site results).

We'll try one more:

"community.myfitnesspal.com" "Dan the Man from Michigan"

This one is interesting - Google says "about 200 results" but only returns 12. Granted, sometimes there would be several posts on one page, but it doesn't explain all of the missing results.

Still, it's a little better than before. Good luck!

P.S. I stumbled across this post by @CyberTone mentioning Google Advanced Search. I had not considered that one but it's also worth a try!

Thank you, that is better. I am still with Bacon Slave, it should be automatic on each group. It causes the newbies to ask the same questions over and over. Or sometimes I want to find a certain post that mentioned a good tip. I

Thank you again,

• I'm with you guys - I have a long list of stuff I'd love to see added (more nutrients, supplement tracking, timestamps on the food diary, meal and snack planning for the future that you can check-off as you eat, etc.) but I'm not complaining about the price :)

Also, the link with MapMyFitness is pretty cool. But now I'm just rambling...
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Great Question Dan, I was wondering the same thing. I'm actually surprised that will all the technology out there they don't have a function to search just a single group. As if!
  • DittoDan
    Yeah, that sucks. I started a blog with many of my previous posts, so I send that link sometimes.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Honestly, if I see something important, I copy and paste it into an email I send to myself. Google Mail has much better search options, for the most part.
  • gsp90x
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Honestly, if I see something important, I copy and paste it into an email I send to myself. Google Mail has much better search options, for the most part.

oooo there's a good idea too.
  • gsp90x
    I saw this in ummm.... another discussion group I think on "feedback for mfp".

It's a varation on EIMontro's by putting "site" part in front, but everyone commenting seemed to have good results.
    Just thought I'd put it out there.

Search google.com in the format:
    keyword site:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group

Examples:
    50 site:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group
    challenge site:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group
    diabetes site:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group
    gelato site:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group
    stronglifts site:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group
  • DittoDan
    edited March 2015
    gsp90x wrote: »
    I saw this in ummm.... another discussion group I think on "feedback for mfp".

It's a varation on EIMontro's by putting "site" part in front, but everyone commenting seemed to have good results.
    Just thought I'd put it out there.

Search google.com in the format:
    keyword site:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group

<Snip>

Gsp, I sign all my posts with: "Dan the Man from Michigan" So I entered in Google:

"dan the man from michigan" Keto:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group

And got a lot of good results! Yahoooo! I guess I did it right?

I will definetely use this techinique from now on....

Thank you so much!

• gsp90x
    edited March 2015
    Sweet! That's encouraging! Less hair pulling out!! I was searching waaaaay to long for discussions on potassium. I just don't want to ask questions that I KNOW have been beaten to death! I tried the above format and got what I was looking for first try!

If anyone is wonder how to modify the format (I was a little confused)

Dan searched for his own posts in the keto group with:

"dan the man from michigan" Keto:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group

I searched for posts in the keto group with potassium in the heading:
    "potassium" Keto:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group

So to look in the Keto group just change what is in quotation marks.

HTH

NB: Maybe we could add this to the announcements section of the group?