Um hello..?

Options
elfin168
elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
Hi there. I was hoping for some advice. I have been lifting weights now for approx 8 months between 8-12 reps normally in an attempt to build some muscle and strength. I would now like to incorporate some 'cardio' to challenge myself however I do not want to
lose any of my hard won muscle. My aim is to increase my fitness and endurance. What do I need to do to do this without risking any muscle gains made (and future gains)?

Replies

• craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people do cardio as well as strength train. Most I know, and myself included, do it on off days...and they don't go extreme with it.

I would simply incorporate it on my rest days...and I wouldn't go extreme with it, maybe 45 minutes or so (A lot supplement with HIIT, instead of standard cardio). I also know people that do it after they are somewhat recovered from their lifting on lift days....but that would kill me, as it would feel like I was doing nothing but exercise all day.

As long as you continue your lifting, are still getting your macros, you probably won't lose gains you have made by adding a little cardio (at least nothing you would notice).

Good Luck!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people do cardio as well as strength train. Most I know, and myself included, do it on off days...and they don't go extreme with it.

I would simply incorporate it on my rest days...and I wouldn't go extreme with it, maybe 45 minutes or so (A lot supplement with HIIT, instead of standard cardio). I also know people that do it after they are somewhat recovered from their lifting on lift days....but that would kill me, as it would feel like I was doing nothing but exercise all day.

As long as you continue your lifting, are still getting your macros, you probably won't lose gains you have made by adding a little cardio (at least nothing you would notice).

Good Luck!

Yeah, I do cardio on my non-lifting days. I also give myself one or two full rest days, where the most intense thing I do is maybe an hour-long walk with the dog.

The cardio I do is usually running, stationary biking, or ellipticals (rarely); never more than 45 minutes, and for running only 30 minutes. The reasons I do cardio are (1) to be able to eat more and (2) to have active rest days, which I find helps me with soreness.

Plenty of lifters don't bother with it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to do significant endurance type cardio?