New to LCHF

I'm super excited to find this group here.
Question: What are some of the key things to look for when reading a nutrition label? ?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Does it have a nutrition label? If so, chances are it's an "iffy" food to begin with (with some exceptions). Meat and leafy green veggies don't come with nutrition labels.

Next, look at carbs/fiber and serving size.

Finally look at the fat and protein, generally fat should be within a gram or two of the protein and prefer higher.

Of course, this is just my approach. If it fits within your macro goals, you can fit things that don't meet these check.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I think its moreso the label if it has one. "Fat Free" and "Reduced Fat" should be red flags...usually that means "we took out the fat but added sugar so this has flavor". Fat isn't a bad thing.

For me, I try to make sure my meals are balanced...if its a little high in protein, ill add fat. Higher in carbs (such as a salad) making sure I add enough fat such as dressings, eggs, or avocado. Really trying to stick to my macro ratio each meal is a goal so I don't have my protein or carbs loaded into one meal. Yeah you may have 30g of carbs a day, but that doesn't mean 2 oreo cookies. You won't probably get the benefits of keto doing those high carb foods in one sitting. Your carbs should come in the forms of dairy and veggies.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    I'm super excited to find this group here.
    Question: What are some of the key things to look for when reading a nutrition label? ?

Also note the serving size and how many servings per the container. Don't bother reading the sugars, its the total carbs that count. Same with the fat, go by total fat. I don't bother reading the calcium, vitamins, sodium etc., unless you're allergic or need some certain nutrient.

I focus on the fat & carbs. I pretty much don't bother too much with the protein either. Yes, if you're low on protein, remember which foods are high and eat them at your latter meals to balance out your macros.

Of course, there are ingredients to avoid, but, I'm not gonna list them here.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan