Options
2»

Replies

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    EmmieBaby wrote: »
    I just discovered Onigiri

it's Japan's equivalent to the traditional sandwich and it is so good!

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Onigiri

the best part is that they have some cute onigiri molds to shape them into little bears, cats, penguines ect!

Yummy idea! I've been looking for any way I can find to eat pickled ginger and this calls out for it!!!

55835802.png
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    20150211_093433_breakfast_1%20calories_zpsgederioh.jpg
  • krp97
    krp97 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    NikonPal, I have noticed you eat a lot of spaghetti squash. I love it too and I was wondering if you have any recipies you like or if you just eat it plain?
  • garyandkimber
    garyandkimber Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    20150211_093433_breakfast_1%20calories_zpsgederioh.jpg

I love your happy breakfast!!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    krp97 wrote: »
    NikonPal, I have noticed you eat a lot of spaghetti squash. I love it too and I was wondering if you have any recipies you like or if you just eat it plain?

I started eating more and more spaghetti squash over the butternut because of calories. I like both and still eat both.

Here is a Jillian Michaels tidbit: “Butternut squash contains 82 calories per 1-cup serving, with less than 1 gram of fat and no cholesterol. Spaghetti squash is lower in calories than butternut, with 42 calories per cup. Butternut squash has a nutritional advantage over spaghetti squash when it comes to fiber content. It boasts 6.6 grams of dietary fiber -- 26 percent of your daily value, an intake recommendation -- per serving, compared to spaghetti squash's 2.2 grams. Both types of squash contain almost no protein -- 2 grams per cup of butternut squash and 1 gram per cup of spaghetti squash -- and virtually no fat.”

I use spaghetti squash is “many” recipes as a low-calorie filler (like broccoli). Almost any main chicken dish I make might find itself lying on a bed of spaghetti squash providing extra flavor / taste. I’ve added it to shrimp dishes and sometimes just have it on the side with a bit of tomato/basil sauce (and/or trkey meatballs. I’ll use it under my eggs (that are over medium) as a hash brown replacement to soak up the yolk.
  • krp97
    krp97 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Jillian Michales bit.
    I have never thought of using them as a replacement to hash browns. That is a great idea! I love having it with meatballs and sauce as an alternative to pasta. I have also made a really good Mexican one if you would like the recipe.
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream made from Bananas

Step One
    Take 4-5 ripe bananas (the more ripe the better – they should have at least a few brown spots), peel them, and add to a plastic freezer bag to freeze overnight until they’re completely solid. They will keep for at least a week.

Actually, I always have bananas in my freezer and you should too! You never know when the inspiration for one ingredient ice cream will strike, and they’re also a necessity for just about any good smoothie. There’s nothing worse than wanting to make a super kale shake and realizing you have no frozen bananas!

Step Two
    Cut the bananas into 1/2 inch chunks and add them to a food processor. See the banana pieces in the picture above? They’re way too big and they simply caught in the blades and spun around until I got smart and cut them smaller. Save yourself the trouble: use small banana chunks.

After about 45-60 seconds, the bananas should be fully blended into a smooth, creamy, and light frozen dessert. Be careful not to overprocess or the friction from the processor will begin to melt the ice cream. You can enjoy this dessert right away for best results, but it will also freeze well for a day or two.

Add a few frozen cherries (you can use fresh, but frozen works even better) and a few drops of vanilla to the food processor with the ice cream and pulse until the color becomes a consistent pink.