I need good breakfast ideas

Options

Replies

• amandakgray1
    amandakgray1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for an easy, filling, freezable breakfast, try these breakfast burritos!! I eat one every morning and they never leave me hungry:
    Breakfast Burritos

1 pound sausage
    8 eggs
    ¼ cup salsa (your choice of desired heat)
    ¼ pound Monterey jack cheese
    12 tortillas (more or less depending on what size you use and how full you want to fill them)

Brown and crumble sausage in non-stick skillet. Drain on paper towels, wipe out pan with paper towel to remove most of the grease. Beat eggs with the salsa. Scramble in the skillet (hotel scrambled egg style) until just cooked through. Put the eggs and sausage in a large bowl and combine well. When cooled slightly stir in the cheese. Fill each tortilla, fold in ends, and roll to close. If eating immediately, wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 15-30 seconds to melt cheese and warm tortilla. Or put multiple burritos in a casserole dish and place in the oven for a few minutes.

To freeze, wrap each burrito in a paper towel, turning in the ends and rolling just like the burrito. Place the paper towel wrapped burritos in a Ziploc bag or air tight container and freeze. To reheat, place a paper towel wrapped burrito in the microwave for about a minute until heated through and cheese melts. If you freeze them, they take 2 minutes to reheat and they are good to go. These are really delicious and sooo easy to make. Great for yourself or make a bunch for a pitch in brunch!
  • cassnielsen
    cassnielsen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Greek yogert pancakes are a favorite with me and my kids
  • eseviour1981
    Options
    I like to make a batch of burritos and freeze them, then I can grab one on my way out to work and microwave it when I get there. This is the recipe I used this week:
    2 eggs
    4 egg whites
    roasted celeriac (about 6 oz)
    roasted butternut squash (about 3-4 oz)
    1/2 red bell pepper
    4 asparagus spears
    6 small broccoli florets
    1/2 onion
    6 low carb tortillas
    1 tbsp shredded mozzarella per burrito

This would have been enough for 8 burritos, but the tortillas only come in packs of 6 so I ran out!
  • mizmaxwil
    mizmaxwil Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am able to get some breakfast into my husband by adding half a scoop of Muscle Milk light to his first cup of coffee of the day.

You didn't post your goal, so these responses are all over the place, but I would recommend that if you must have bread, eat the darkest whole wheat bread you can enjoy. Rye and pumpernickel are healthier for you, too. I don't see any nutritional value at all in a bagel, a biscuit, or regular toast.
  • eseviour1981
    Options
    Also, if you really want some kind of bread, I really love this flaxseed flatbread:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/low-carb-flax-flat-bread-427534

This isn't strictly a low calorie recipe, but it is low carb and it's far better calories than you'd be getting from white bread. It's really high in fiber because of the flax seed, so if your body isn't used to high fiber you may want to start with smaller pieces.
  • mbutler64
    mbutler64 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a nutribullet smoothie in the mornings, this one has
    1/2 cup kale
    1/2 cup blue berries
    1/2 cup raspberries
    1/2 yogurt
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/2 banana
    1 tps flax seed 4taf931y2a5l.jpg

• eseviour1981
    Options
    Another option of mine is quinoa breakfast muffins

1 cup cooked quinoa
    1 cup veggies (whatever you like/have on hand), diced fairly small
    2 eggs
    4 egg whites
    1/2 cup cheese (whichever kind you prefer)

Mix everything together and bake in muffin cups. It can be a little sticky, even with the paper cases, so you might want silicone cases for baking them in. This recipe makes 6-7 muffins, you'll probably want 2 for a serving.
  • gailginger
    Options
    I make a big batch of steel cut oatmeal on Sunday (for the week)... 2 cups oats, 8 cups water, dash of salt and vanilla when done. We scoop out 7.5 oz servings in the am, heat in the micro for 2 minutes, add flax seed, fruit, honey or maple syrup. 150 cal minus additions.
  • aredwards247
    aredwards247 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out the pancake recipe I just posted! Healthy and delicious, and incredibly quick x
  • afbaka
    afbaka Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I mix up my own oatmeal packets to bring to work, and they are awesome!

In a snack size bag, mix this base:
    1/3 cup oats
    1 tsp chia seeds
    2 tsp wheat or oat bran
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1 tbsp brown sugar

then, depending on what i have in my pantry, i also add:
    1/4 cup freeze dried fruit (my favorite is banana)
    1 tbsp PB2 peanut butter powder (with banana, not so great with other fruits)
    1/8 cup raisins/craisins

Base is 183 cals, just make sure to add in the cals for the extras if you add them! :)

to make it, just pour it in a bowl and add water to cover the oats and then microwave for 1-3 mins depending on what kind of oats you use (quick oats = 1 min 30 sec; rolled oats = closer to 3 minutes).
  • nickollette113
    nickollette113 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We haven't ventured into clean eating breakfast foods yet. So, we just do homemade juice with 1 or 2 fruits and at least 2 vegetables. Great way to get a nutrient packed breakfast and almost always under 200 calories.
  • nxnxjzkz
    Options
    I have 150g of onken fat free vanilla yoghurt with a slice of toast, teaspoon of raspberry jam and then either an apple pr 150g of grapes. Hope this helped
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is an Asparagus Breakfast Wrap (budgetbytes.com/2010/04/asparagus-breakfast-wraps/ ) I pre-cook asparagus and freeze them in 4 spear quantity. I sauté the frozen asparagus in 1 tsp of olive oil with garlic powder and then follow the rest of the recipe. They taste great about 230 calories per serving
  • AvidAdrienne
    AvidAdrienne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is:
    Greek Yogurt + blueberries
    and
    1 slice wheat bread topped with avocado slices + Sriracha Sauce

the sriracha wakes me up, the yogurt calms the flame lol
  • drgreen5555
    drgreen5555 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like a bagel thin or thin english muffin topped with a fried egg or a scrambled egg and salsa and a tiny bit of cheese on top. Also can add texas pete or jalapenos - if you like it hot or salsa verde. 200-400 cals depends if (1/2 bagel thin and 1 egg) or ( 1 whole bagel thin and 2 eggs).
  • Cynthiaj610
    Cynthiaj610 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg (eggland)
    1 stick cheese
    12 reduced fat wheat thins
    coffee
    sweet'n low
    cinnamon vanilla coffee mate

some mornings, I use 1/2 tsp sandwich spread
    and make egg salad. I put it on 45 calorie bread
    with reduced fat sliced cheese.
  • cyndiann210
    cyndiann210 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    adhbrooks wrote: »
    I love breakfast but I need some help

My "go-to" breakfast recipe:

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/4 cup milk of choice (I use "light" almond)
    1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1.5-2 TBS maple syrup (I use Maple Grove Farms sugar-free, but you can use stevia, or agave nectar, too)

Place in 4" diameter baking dish, sprayed with vegetable il spray (I use coconut), and bake at 375° for 20 min.

I also (now) throw in 1/4 to 1/2 tsp flax seed for fiber, and add the calories seperately.

With the way I prepare my oatmeal bake, its under 200 calories. Its filling and stays with me till lunch time. Try it out!
  • fatandsad13
    fatandsad13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest EVER eating a whole bagel for breakfast. You may as well eat an unhealthy glazed donut. Most days for breakfast, I eat two scrambled eggs with a little Frank's hot sauce (which is 0 cal but watch the sodium) and up to three strips of lean cut bacon. This is brain food. You will be more creatively wired and your brain functions better from the protein in eggs and the fats in bacon that your body will want to turn into energy. Notice that I said up to three strips of bacon, because no, bacon in the amount that a a meat lover with a weight problem might want it (5-6 strips) the calories and general fat will add up QUICKLY.

Also, try Greek yogurt pancakes. Lighter, fluffier pancakes that your body is willing to turn into energy.

http://lecremedelacrumb.com/2014/12/greek-yogurt-pancakes.html

I was able to make and LOVE this recipe with one tablespoon less of sugar than what is recommended. Remember 1 tablespoon of sugar is about 15 grams. No one really needs to go over 40. So watch your sugars and especially your sugary drinks.

Also,

Greek Yogurt is your best friend! That's what I've found at least. Try making an improvised Greek Yogurt parfait. I have some fruit and nut granola that I mix with a cup of Greek yogurt and a tablespoon of raw brown sugar. (not baking sugar) Its pretty good.

Sweeten your teas with honey instead of sugar at all. If you must use sugar, use the raw brown sugar.

Lastly, try just buying a cheap box of oatmeal, with varied fruity flavors so you don't get sick of them. I use the Quaker Oat's brand and its delicious!! :)

Hope that helps, guys!
  • fatandsad13
    fatandsad13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    KamL27 wrote: »
    I just do a boiled egg. Quick and easy overnight, then pop in microwave and go. Keeps cravings away. Or, I do low fat greek yogurt, with a little bit of splenda (whatever, sweetener you'd like). I've gotten pretty used to it with no Splenda now.

Hi! You might want to try using it with honey instead of Splenda, artificial sweeteners are more harmful than the sugars you're avoiding.
  • Katie4049
    Katie4049 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt Pancakes
    In a small mixing bowl beat together one egg and a single serving size nonfat Greek yogurt. Stir in a dash of salt, half a teaspoon vanilla, scant half cup whole wheat flour and 1 tsp. baking soda. Batter will be very thick. Glop four glops into a preheated sprayed frying pan and spread slightly with back of spoon. This is when I add some fresh blueberries and squish them in. When first side is nicely browned, flip them over and cook the second side. I serve mine with lite butter and sugar-free syrup. Makes 4 pancakes, serves 2 people. Really delicious!