How Low do you go ;)

Options
2»

Replies

• mebeep
    mebeep Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my total carbs at or below 30. I am feeling some of the benifits I hear of, like mental clarity . I have not purchased testing strips and wonder if there are other ways to tell if you might be in ketosis?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I really shoot for 25 grams because of the hidden carbs. I do agree there is a learning curve and the carb level can vary from person to person to stay in ketosis. Based on my readings/experience I think we older males who have really abused carbs long term have to keep our carb intake much lower than many others to get into and say in a state of nutritional ketosis. The improvement in my quality of life since Oct 2014 should be enough keep me in this eating lifestyle for life.
  • nr650
    nr650 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    mebeep, I have noticed that when I am in ketosis (particularly at first) I can sort of smell it, particularly when I go to the bathroom (sorry if TMI, but you asked!) It's a distinct difference, sort of fruity or sweet if that makes sense. Again, sorry if this is TMI, I don't want to offend anyone...I also definitely notice a huge decrease in my appetite.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I started tracking only about a week ago, before that I was just working to eliminate as many carbs as possible without tracking, but now that I'm at my halfway mark I felt it could be important to start tracking. My goal is to stay between 30-50. My diet is full of yummy baked goods. My daughter calls my protein waffles "sugar cookie waffles" because they taste very similar. I love meat eggs and veggies, don't get me wrong, but I am not eating that every single meal every single day. It's protein fluff, waffles, and psylii wraps for me. :smile:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Damn, I've been trying to stay under 30 net, and have been a hungry MF'er all month ... maybe I'll try to stay under 20 during February, see if that helps.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm under 20. Mostly due to lack of hunger, I'll go to 50 if I'm hungry
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    WOW!! You all are really amazing! I just started and am trying to stay somewhere between 40-50. I'll keep experimenting until I find the right combination.
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Goal is net 20-25; most days I'm under. Just adding 1/4 cup of berries per day (I really miss them) but doesn't really make a big difference.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I average net 20, most often my carbs are from green leafy veggies and nuts.

fatchimom: You'll figure it out, and finding alternatives can be fun :)
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I first started I aimed for 20 - 25 Net and now I'm around 35 - 40 Net.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Have to say, I really adore this group. Every single person has given what works for them with no expectation that others need the same levels. You don't find that consideration on many forums!!!

I'm on Day 8 (wow, is that all?) and have been aiming for between 30-40g carbs per day. My daily actual figures have been 34, 38, 48, 31, 28, 34, 30, 38, 54, 36, 40, so 2 blowouts, both due to ignorance when I was away from the computer to be able to check carbs before I consumed.

Loving it so far and congrats to everyone here for what they are achieving. It's so good to be able to share journeys with you.

• DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I aim for 20g, with the understanding that the food logs are not 100% accurate and if I have a big carb day, then I still have a lot of wiggle room...once in ketosis at least. I find the longer I eat very low, the easier it gets. My issues are always around ToM or social occasions (usually weekends with a little too much time and booze), and then I kick myself out of ketosis and have to work really hard for 2-3 days to get back into.

To each their own though, as some people do best really low and other's need to be a bit higher. Tracking is really the only way to know what works best for the individual, so good for you for keeping track in the first place and reviewing the data to understand how it affects you. Keep at it!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm not low carb, "for realsies" as we know, lol. But today (a mostly plant based day), I decided to count. My net was 48 grams. :)
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It's been a little over two weeks and I have had so many questions. So glad I found this group and thanks to all the posters above For all the great info!