Fruits, Are there any Low Carb?

DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
From my spreadsheet. Bananas and grapes the worst.

Starfruit and strawberries the best for lo-carb. I have never had Starfruit. I guess I'll have to try some. What is your opinion on the taste of Starfruit? Is it bitter? (like a lime)?

IMO, avocados are the best overall because they have a lot of good fat.

m2mjco9s19tm.jpg

If you see some I missed, let me know.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

P.S. I probably should move the other melons over to this page (remove from the veggies page)

Replies

• aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    So sad because apples, grapes and pineapple were my favorite fruit. I really really missed apples in the fall and it was one of the only things I craved time-to-time. Oh well, not worth it.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Star fruit is tasty. Tart. At least the one i tried was tart. Easy too. just wash, slice and go. I do prefer strawberries. I've been having 4-5/day with my lunch, or as afternoon snack. I too missed apples a lot. I used to have an apple every single day.
  • ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    What about canteloupe? I think it would be in range with honeydew?
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    I'm diabetic, so I'm always monitoring my blood glucose before and after meals. I've found that a handful of berries doesn't impact my BG much at all. YMMV.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    I know avocados are botanically a berry but they should probably be on your Fats spreadsheet. :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,749 Member
    edited January 2015
    Raspberries are my favorite fruit by far, and their carbs are over half fiber. I ate a ton of them all summer long (before I went keto and yes, I lost plenty of weight still). Right now I am doing very strict 20g or less total carbs, but if my weight loss continues nicely, I plan to up the veggies and add back in raspberries/strawberries come summer, (and possibly full-fat freek yogurt) while still controlling my carbs to a max of 50 total. The couple times I've gone over (hello tortilla chips, nice to see you onion petals), I've managed to stay in ketosis, so I will play with it some and see how high I can get and stay ketotic.
  • AtlGlamBabe34
    AtlGlamBabe34 Posts: 16 Member
    It would also depend on whether you're doing total carb count or net carb count, and what a typical serving of the fruit is. For example, a typical starfruit is around 3 oz, so that would be 5.7g of total carbs, and it has a net carb count of 1.13g/oz, which for our 3-oz serving would be 3.4g. Raspberries, which you have around the middle, have a typical serving size of 2 oz, with a total carb count of 6.8g, but a net count of 1.54g/oz, for a 3.1g net, due to all the fiber. The highest fiber fruits seem to confound your spreadsheet. Blackberries and raspberries are generally ranked 1 and 2 in lowest carbs. I will say, that I don't recall a list with starfruit before, though, so I will be looking for some when I shop. I do appreciate this useful info you've shared with us!
  • DittoDan
    It would also depend on whether you're doing total carb count or net carb count, and what a typical serving of the fruit is. For example, a typical starfruit is around 3 oz, so that would be 5.7g of total carbs, and it has a net carb count of 1.13g/oz, which for our 3-oz serving would be 3.4g. Raspberries, which you have around the middle, have a typical serving size of 2 oz, with a total carb count of 6.8g, but a net count of 1.54g/oz, for a 3.1g net, due to all the fiber. The highest fiber fruits seem to confound your spreadsheet. Blackberries and raspberries are generally ranked 1 and 2 in lowest carbs. I will say, that I don't recall a list with starfruit before, though, so I will be looking for some when I shop. I do appreciate this useful info you've shared with us!

Thank you AtlGlam... I could easily add a column with net carbs. I'll try to post this evening.

I also moved some of the melons from veggies to this sheet.

I hope this helps,

• DittoDan
    Here is the Fruits, again, but sorted by net carbs (Carbs - fiber). I also moved the melons from the veggies to this sheet.

And the winner is? Avocados, but you knew that. Lo carb, Hi fiber, hi Fat, and highest Protein among all of them. Its like a perfect keto food.

Maybe we can post some avocado recipes here? Since I am a simple recipe maker, I like Avocados, lemon juice, lots of mayo, chopped up tomatoes, onions & bell peppers. And lets not forget using pork rinds to scoop it up!

csmz8psgzmai.jpg

I hope this helps,

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Hi Dan, thank you so much for all the info. Starfruit is ok but not worth the carbs, IMO. Looks good as decor.

I save my carbs for berries (and chocolate). I found that my favorite fruit is now raspberries, that I never liked before. To me they used to taste kind of bitter/sour and now it's like I'm eating candy. Still miss the lower half of your chart, though - but it's probably more a memory than a real craving. Had a bit of mango the other day and it tasted sickeningly sweet. Good to see my palate going in the right direction. :)
  • AtlGlamBabe34
    AtlGlamBabe34 Posts: 16 Member
    I know Alton Brown (Good Eats guy) had an avocado frosting recipe, and I think he had an avocado ice cream one too. Maybe swap out any high carb sweeteners in those? Personally, here are a few of my favorite ways to eat avo (in no particular order):
    sliced in half and sprinkled with bacon salt, diced on a salad with ranch dressing, stuffed with spicy tuna and mayo, topped with hot LC chili and cheese, and just like Dan, guac with pork rinds! I did try avo topped with an egg and broiled, but it had an unpleasant taste when cooked (to me). I do like it on scrambled eggs with salsa (add after cooking, on the plate).
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Hi Dan, great spreadsheet! I have some quick newbie questions, though: do you have mangoes listed anywhere? Also, do green bananas have a different count than ripe yellow?
  • DittoDan
    kodiakke wrote: »
    Hi Dan, great spreadsheet! I have some quick newbie questions, though: do you have mangoes listed anywhere? Also, do green bananas have a different count than ripe yellow?

I'll add mangos. I wouldn't think it matters much about green versus ripe, yes, there is more sugar in a ripe fruit. How much? I don't know. Its like, if I cook an onion and it "caramelizes" is there more sugar in the onion? IDK....

I hope this helps,

• kirkor
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Its like, if I cook an onion and it "caramelizes" is there more sugar in the onion?

There will be more sugar per gram in the edible portion, ya, due to water loss during the cooking process.
  • DittoDan
    kirkor wrote: »
    Its like, if I cook an onion and it "caramelizes" is there more sugar in the onion?

There will be more sugar per gram in the edible portion, ya, due to water loss during the cooking process.

So that's what happens, I thought the heat did something to the chemistry. So, whether you eat an onion raw or cooked, its the same amount of carbs?

• DittoDan
    kodiakke wrote: »

Here ya go. Mangos look bad, near the bottom.....

p5j25t24om4i.png

• kirkor
    So that's what happens, I thought the heat did something to the chemistry. So, whether you eat an onion raw or cooked, its the same amount of carbs?

Yes, in the end, but the insulin response will be different ... the fat from the sautee will blunt it, the increased concentration from the lost water will spike it ... probably pretty close to a wash for the amount of onion in a given dish.

• hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Glad I was never really a fruit person. :P