Cooking for non paleo family

Options
2»

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I cook with my child too and she loves it. I do large cook-ups so that there is stuff to eat quick all week. It's not hard, just a choice.

It makes me sad that this society encourages us to basically not parent our kids or see them as worthy of our time and attention. They aren't important enough to invest time in? Only paid employment and electronics?

Personally, I don't agree that kids shouldn't eat Paleo. If it's healthy for me, it's even more important that my child be healthy too. Yup, there's arguments and compromises. Hint: kids will eat when they get hungry enough. They will not starve to death.

And yes, I'm a single working mom too. I am glad to not have to argue with another adult about it though. More work, less hassle. ;)
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I cook with my child too and she loves it. I do large cook-ups so that there is stuff to eat quick all week. It's not hard, just a choice.

It makes me sad that this society encourages us to basically not parent our kids or see them as worthy of our time and attention. They aren't important enough to invest time in? Only paid employment and electronics?

Personally, I don't agree that kids shouldn't eat Paleo. If it's healthy for me, it's even more important that my child be healthy too. Yup, there's arguments and compromises. Hint: kids will eat when they get hungry enough. They will not starve to death.

And yes, I'm a single working mom too. I am glad to not have to argue with another adult about it though. More work, less hassle. ;)

If I had kids, they would definitely be Paleo as well. I see NO reason to feed kids junk food because they want it. We are here to teach them, not give in to their whims.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I amend my post.

My kids are thirtyish. I am no longer responsible for feeding them, it is a gift of my time & love to do so. I no longer work and have lots of time to cook and grow food.

The "parenting" tally turned out like this:

1 Junk eater
    1 philosophical whole food eater whose fall back plan is whatever is available
    DH on the white bread/ hot dog / ice cream diet

Like my strictly brought up college roommate who found her inner wildwoman when set free, kids are going to find their own path. We can only give them as many tools as the year's allow before the decision becomes individual.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's different when the kids are grown and gone, but modelling remains just as important. Even as adults we look to our parents for guidance and support. Even if it doesn't look like it, the adult kids are watching. They might still choose junk, but you never know when they might get tired of feeling crappy and your example will show them exactly what to do about it. Which is way better than taking 40 years to figure it out for oneself. lol