Are there any Lo-Carb Sugars?

DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
Well that's a trick question. Let's define our terms. Sugar meaning sweet stuff that isn't highly processed or artificial. I didn't include: Stevia, Splenda, aspartame, nutra-sweet, etc. Yes, I know your thinking that stevia is natural or monk fruit. Maybe if you grow it yourself. But if you purchase them, they are highly processed. If you don't believe me, go to Wikipedia:

Wikipedia: Stevia

Wikipedia Monk Fruit

With that said, do I avoid Stevia? No. I use it all the time, I also use Splenda. If I ever find Monk Fruit, I'm going to try it too. I am not Paleo, and Keto isn't Paleo.

So, are there any lo-carb sugars: NO! Try to avoid them.

dp46f9ohaq2r.jpg

I am posting this so you can see that there are any good sugars, they are basically concentrated carbs.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Have you tried lakanto? A friend recommended it so highly that I ordered some (lakanto.com or amazon) and it is by far the best I've tasted but it is absurdly expensive so I'm keeping it for the occasion when I crave sweet tea.
  • DittoDan
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    Have you tried lakanto? A friend recommended it so highly that I ordered some (lakanto.com or amazon) and it is by far the best I've tasted but it is absurdly expensive so I'm keeping it for the occasion when I crave sweet tea.

Yea that's 18 cents a teaspoon.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Dan- what's your thoughts on coconut sugar?
  • DittoDan

Its natural and high carb. Pre-keto, I bought some, thinking I need to get more "less processed" and more "organic". It tasted great on my cereal. But now that I am keto, it has no place in this diet. Its in my chart, its 100% carbs, so its no better than white sugar or fructose. Looking at the chart. one teaspoon of all those sugars is basically one day's allotment for carbs.

What is your take?

• x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    I used to use stevia, which says only 5 carbs, but then again it always put me off track (makes me have sweet cravings,) so I don't do any forms of sugar (fake or otherwise) anymore.
  • DittoDan
    I used to use stevia, which says only 5 carbs, but then again it always put me off track (makes me have sweet cravings,) so I don't do any forms of sugar (fake or otherwise) anymore.

Stevia has zero carbs, Splenda has less than 1.

r983nwhca7dj.jpg

I use both, when trying to drink more water. I use it in tea.

I hope this helps,

• hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member

In my two coffees a day, I use either Stevia or Splenda flavors, BUT I am totally with you on the sweet cravings. It keeps you in a mindset that sugar is very much a sweet treat to desire. I should be desiring a steak instead :)

Caro
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    This is nifty. Perhaps a sugar subs would be a good one, too, since some have carbs? I wish I remember where I saw it, but I found a chart one time that had carb count of each of the sugar subs (mainly the alcohols, IIRC) and sweetness relative to table sugar.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    DittoDan wrote: »

Its natural and high carb. Pre-keto, I bought some, thinking I need to get more "less processed" and more "organic". It tasted great on my cereal. But now that I am keto, it has no place in this diet. Its in my chart, its 100% carbs, so its no better than white sugar or fructose. Looking at the chart. one teaspoon of all those sugars is basically one day's allotment for carbs.

What is your take?

Basically the same. I've run out of the stuff and am not replacing it. If I have to use a sweetener for something, I'll use maple, like for baking on the rare occasion. I have adjusted myself to drinking a bulletproof coffee without it already, so I feel pretty good about it.

YAY for kicking the habit! lol
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Article re: sweeteners and low-carb with comparison tables:

ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/06/10/Top-10-Natural-Low-carb-Sweeteners

I bought some 100% monk fruit a while back, but I've been so pleased with using erythritol+stevia that I haven't tried it yet.
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Awesome information DittoDan. As much as I'm not one for artificial sweeteners anymore, making keto friendly desserts around the holidays with strevia might help me avoid annoying conversations with family when I refuse to eat desserts or certain food items lol.

I can't believe I am just now, thinking of this.
  • DittoDan
    oyadancing wrote: »
    Article re: sweeteners and low-carb with comparison tables:

ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/06/10/Top-10-Natural-Low-carb-Sweeteners

I bought some 100% monk fruit a while back, but I've been so pleased with using erythritol+stevia that I haven't tried it yet.

Excellent website! Thank you Oya for posting. I tried to add it to MFP blog, but MFP wouldn't allow it...oh, well... I am going to try to make some sugar free chocolate/cocoa butter fat bombs with Erythritol.