What's Your Superfood of the Day??

Options

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    careful about the lemon juice drinking....my dentist told me to cut down because it was hard on the enamel on my teeth. Too acidic. Who would have thunk it?
    Yeah, when Id go to restaurants most places would automatically add a lemon wedges.
    When I found out about this, I started making it a routine to let them know "ice water, with no lemon please!"
    Besides, you don't know if the lemon was prewashed before being sliced so that helped me overcome my desire to have it in my glass :confused:

• 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Windnancy wrote: »
    my super food today is oat bran...i learned today it lowers your blood sugar level which in turn lowers your insuline production which cuts out hunger...i made energy balls with almond flour, cocoa powder, chia and apple sauce and oat bran...great snack post workout!
    Wow, sounds interesting!
    Whats the nutrition info...cals, protein etc, they sound good!

• 2BeHappy2
    Options
    538k9ct05uvl.jpg
    Honeybell Oranges shipped from Florida only in January. I don't know if they qualify as a superfood but they are the best oranges I've ever tasted.
    Hmmm...this is a new 1 for me, haven't heard of them before.
    Whats the taste difference from the standard?
    Has anyone tried blood oranges....that's something I started noticing w/in the last month or so.
    I haven't tried them yet!

• shemama1
    shemama1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    my super food today is oat bran...i learned today it lowers your blood sugar level which in turn lowers your insuline production which cuts out hunger...i made energy balls with almond flour, cocoa powder, chia and apple sauce and oat bran...great snack post workout!

Recipe please? pretty please?

• aimeechristian
    aimeechristian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    538k9ct05uvl.jpg
    Honeybell Oranges shipped from Florida only in January. I don't know if they qualify as a superfood but they are the best oranges I've ever tasted.
    Hmmm...this is a new 1 for me, haven't heard of them before.
    Whats the taste difference from the standard?
    Has anyone tried blood oranges....that's something I started noticing w/in the last month or so.
    I haven't tried them yet!

Honey bells are soooo sweet! Love them and like Meyer lemons they are short lived. We are lucky to have relatives in FL that ship us a box every year.

Blood oranges are beautiful. Somebody in marketing should be fired for calling them blood oranges though! I've seen th listed as Moro oranges which is much better. They are lovely when baked with chicken or segmented over yogurt. I don't think they have a major taste difference - maybe a little on the sour end of oranges.
  • aimeechristian
    aimeechristian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Red beets...delicious roasted or shredded in a salad. They are nutrient dense & I love the intense red color! My favorite is to cut into chunks along with a sweet potato, toss in olive oil, salt & pepper, roast. Top with a bit of goat cheese. I'm drooling just thinking about it lol

Now you have me drooling too. Love beets - over a salad with the ubiquitous goat cheese and balsamic dressing. Or how about in a creamy borscht? If it warms the Russians, it's good enough for me.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have been eating liver pate made with chicken livers this week. I know ... gross.

My mom gave us a tiny portion in a holiday goodie bag. The guys got the sugary treats and I grabbed her pate. Woof. So I promised DH I would make it using her recipe. I did. Chicken livers, onions, a stick of butter, fresh herbs, sea salt. I woofed down 2/3 of the pan before I thought to look up it's nutritional value.

Major superfood, especially veal, beef & lamb, but chicken too. High in Vitamin A, D, E, C, many B' s, selenium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper, calcium & phosphorus.

I'm not a liver lover but I love my Mom's pate. Very happy it's very healthful. Would much prefer a thin slice of toasted homemade honey wheat bread with a few tablespoons of pate to almost anything. Tasty. Now I'm going to tweak the recipe and try ghee or coconut oil instead of butter. Cholesterol is somewhat high so this is going in the recipe rotation for every other month.
  • athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Please share your recipe. Sounds so delicious.
  • Graycpearls
    Graycpearls Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eggs ove sautéed kale. That was breakfast!
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What are cocoa nibs? Where do I get them?

They are like raw chocolate beans, health food stores carry them. I haven't tried them yet.... But here's a link with all their benefits.
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-nutrition-of-cocoa-nibs.html
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My son & I use cocoa nibs in our homemade fruit & nut bars. They must be sugar free because you probably would not be tempted to woof down a palmful. Mixed with almond / peanut butter and sweet dried fruits they do add a nice chocolate taste. I miss chocolate, been months. Have a huge craving for Almond M&M' s. Help.
  • shazzar66
    shazzar66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    TBrownCVT wrote: »
    Cauliflower. Fills me up with less calories, and it contains lots of B Vitamins. It also has Vitamin C and Potassium. Plus, it's so versatile.

I have a new love for cauliflower too. It's great as a rice substitute. Can be roasted or steamed with some tasty herbs and spices. Love it.
  • flatlandrunner
    flatlandrunner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My current fave super food is shrimp- good in a salad, with a small slice of polenta, wrapped in bacon and takes other flavours on nicely :) 100g boasts 70 cal, 0.4 g fat, 1 carb and 15 g protein.

Yay shrimp!
  • lyndsayfletch
    lyndsayfletch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds all the way for me today!! As a type 1 diabetc, diagnosed as a child, I find chia seeds sustaine my sugar levels aswel as my energy and hunger cravings! I put a spoonfull in my water when I go for a run! Looooove them!!!
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Almonds! I buy raw almonds and roast* them at home with no salt or oil. They really taste wonderful all by themselves.

* bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    Almonds! I buy raw almonds and roast* them at home with no salt or oil. They really taste wonderful all by themselves.

* bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes.

I love almonds! I buy them in bulk and keep them around for a quick healthy snack.
  • amyrllin1
    amyrllin1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds all the way for me today!! As a type 1 diabetc, diagnosed as a child, I find chia seeds sustaine my sugar levels aswel as my energy and hunger cravings! I put a spoonfull in my water when I go for a run! Looooove them!!!

Do they not cause your water to turn to a gel like substance? I can't use running gels so I am always looking for new ways to add energy to my water. I put honey in mine
  • lockeshop
    Options
    I am obsessed with red peppers. Raw, they replaced chips or crackers. Great with my hummus or cauliflower or guacamole dip. I saute them almost everyday and throw them on my proteins. mmm
  • monicaowens813
    Options
    jazzyjez wrote: »
    drmkfab wrote: »
    ... (I have a new goal to try at least ONE new food a week) ...

Awesome goal!

TURMERIC! GINGER! CINNAMINSON! I mix my super spices into cold applesauce. It's great for inflammation! I started to see my belly fat go away faster! My legs even look slimmer. ♡ :)
  • iambold
    iambold Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been making smoothies each morning with my 9 yr old for almost 3 wks now, She loves them! " Kale-Spinach-Oranges- b.b.'s-ras.B.'s-Straw.B.'s- 1/2 a banana - lactose free Van. Yogurt- 3 ice cubes- " amazing ", her energy level is up, school work is exciting, I just had to share this, because it's made such a huge difference for her. Eating healthy & sharing it with our kids, " PRICELESS " =0)