Help! I need tips for travel

Options
barlovo
barlovo Posts: 151 Member
Hi everyone, I'm traveling next week and most of the next for work (air travel, hotel rooms). Any tips for staying on track? Success stories that will keep me inspired?

One of my biggest problems when I travel is that I get really stressed about whether I will get hungry/cravings and binge eat on the junk food that is usually available at hotels. So then I overeat at meals to "protect" against getting hungry. Typing this out, it sounds weird, but it's a long standing pattern.

Replies

• mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound weird at all. Take some nuts with you in case you get cravings. A handful of nuts does the trick for me, if I eat them 1 or 2 at a time. If you are eating out look the restaurant menus up on the internet and decide what you are going to have before you go. Have part of you meal put in a to go bag and take it back to the hotel with you for later. Pack some rice cakes if you like them. I think the white cheddar are good. Being mindful of it is half the battle. I will be rooting for you!
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I pack a few healthy snacks to bring with me, if I can. If not, I try to stop at a grocery or convenience store pick some up. Things that travel fairly well: snack bags of nuts, protein bars (watch out for the ones with too much sugar), string cheese or babybell cheese (if you have a fridge available or won't be out for hours & hours), cut up veggies & dip (for vacations or long trips I'll spring for the individual size dips), single serving peanut butter (Jif to go Natural is my fave) with apple slices even some of the Fiber One stuff isn't too bad, at least it's made with whole grains & leaves you feeling full longer, but be careful, they can make you toot if you eat too much!!!

I know exactly what you're talking about when you say you overeat to protect against being hungry later, I used to do that all the time! I still have to tell myself no to that kind of mindset! I just bring an insulated lunchbag full of healthy snacks and keep a couple in my purse, and I try to only eat when I'm hungry, not when I think I might be hungry. It's not a perfect system, sometimes I eat all my snacks up early in the day, sometimes I don't eat any of them. At least this way I don't feel panicked that I won't be able to eat anything.

Hope this helps a little.
  • aprilcv00
    aprilcv00 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also... carry a couple little Jif to Go pb things and a small pack of almonds in the bottom of your purse at all times.. then psychologically you will have the the reassurance that it's okay.. you do have food with you if you need it. If you eat it, refill it so you know it's Always there.
  • FindingCindy721
    FindingCindy721 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Barlovo~ When I travel for work..I have been gone up to 5 weeks at a time and we have no fridge availability unless we are diabetic. Our main training facility is in Norman OK...so I understand. Try to plan some healthy snacks that you like such as Fibre One bars, nuts, etc and pack them in your bag. Once you are there find a Wal Mart or grocery store that you can get some fruits and vegetables that don't need refrigeration, maybe some peanut butter and stuff that you can just set on a desk in the room. See if your hotel has work out facilities...if not walk the stairs there...I did this and lost 8 lbs on a 3 week trip. Good luck to you my friend!
  • barlovo
    barlovo Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Everyone thank you so much these are such great tips!! Also it is great to know I can check in to this group while I'm travelling for support.
  • FindingCindy721
    Options
    We're always here for you!
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Have a good trip barlovo!!!
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Have a good trip and stay safe during your travels Barlovo
  • FindingCindy721
    Options
    I hope you are doing well my friend! Traveling is hard! Are you in a place that is warm? Do your hotels have a gym? Remember to stay safe 1st and foremost!!! We are thinking of you!