Yet....Another MACRO Question

Howdy Keto Friends,

Sorry to bring this back but I need a little clarity. So quick question for you about macros. Now what I want to know is which - if any - is more important: (1) Hitting your exact macros or (2) Staying within your macro percentages?

If this isn't clear I will provide an example. My macros are set to 75/20/5 which totals 133g fat, 80g protein and 20g carbs accordingly. I do not always hit 133/80/20 but my percentages will equal something like 72% fat, 21% protein and 7% carbs.

So, I am wondering which is more important? Is there a difference? I am working on getting the hidden carbs down still and will try to get as close to ideal macros as possible, but I wanted to see what others thought.

Thanks much :)

Replies

• DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Didn't mean to scare everyone away :(
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Did not scare me away I was downloading books. My poor computer is gasping.
    I am not sure on your question. I have my macros set about like you. I just get as close as I can. I do not think I ever hit it exact and if I did it is an accident. I think the macros are more of a guide for you. I am new to this too so just trying to answer the way I do it.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Howdy Keto Friends,

Sorry to bring this back but I need a little clarity. So quick question for you about macros. Now what I want to know is which - if any - is more important: (1) Hitting your exact macros or (2) Staying within your macro percentages?

If this isn't clear I will provide an example. My macros are set to 75/20/5 which totals 133g fat, 80g protein and 20g carbs accordingly. I do not always hit 133/80/20 but my percentages will equal something like 72% fat, 21% protein and 7% carbs.

So, I am wondering which is more important? Is there a difference? I am working on getting the hidden carbs down still and will try to get as close to ideal macros as possible, but I wanted to see what others thought.

Thanks much :)

Welcome Darling,

I guess everyone is out tonight. Welcome to the group. This a very friendly group and most of all ~ very helpful.

Macros are just a guideline. Monitor how many carbs you eat is probably the most important. Try to keep them under 50 grams for the first few weeks. Then after you get the hang of it, gradually bring them down to less than 25 a day. Your protein shouldn't be too high or too low. Eat fat primarily. if you're going to err, its better to eat too much fat then the other two.

Tips on MFP:
    Some values aren't entered right.
    Watch the serving sizes, weights of things and you can really over eat if you use "heaping tablespoons". When a portion/recipe calls for one Tablespoon, its a level tablespoon. You find that out really fast when you get a digital scale and start weighing foods. I highly recommend you get one.
    I set my calorie goal back, so that when I have an indiscretion, or can't weigh the food or am eating at someone's home, I have some padding. 1800 cal a day is my goal, but I set it at 1400. (I am going to adjust it downward because I am now lighter than before.)

The way I do my meals is NOT to eat a macro balanced meal, but eat the first meal however I like. Before my next meal, I look at the macros on MFP, I use the pie chart. You can see exactly where you are deficient. Then on your next meal, eat more fat or protein to balance out your daily macro. Learn what foods are high in protein foods, especially the foods that are high fat foods.

If you can stay low on carbs ~ even a "0%" is ok. The best weight losers can do this (I have a hard time because I am a recovering carboholic). In other words, don't look at my diary for a good example. The people that have lost over 100 lbs can have days where their carbs are under 10 grams! I am lucky if I can keep it under 40.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member

Grams are what matters. Screw percentages. Percentages don't mean anything.

Priority 1: Do not go over your carb limit.
    Priority 2: Attempt to meet your protein goal. Obviously in the real world this won't be exact every day, but you don't want to go way way over or way way under often.
    Priority 3: Eat fat to fill you up and stay satisfied.

Basically, the percentages will end up coming down to how much fat you needed in a day to feel full, if you're able to meet goals 1 and 2 reasonably well.
  • DarlingNikki2011
    Thanks all of you. You all basically said what I have been thinking and doing (all be it on and off for a year). But as I've decided to stop saying next week or next time and make this a change in my life now, I wondered if I was just wingin it all this time. Lol.

I am going to stick with this. You guys rock :)

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    KCKO!
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Yeah, me personally I worry about the percentages more and staying under 24 net carbs. That's my goal every day. I don't worry if I go a little over or under in regards to fat and protein, within a few percentage points, because it does fluctuate a bit day to day. It's been working wonders for me so far.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Yep, what @radii said:

* carbs are a limit
    * protein is a goal
    * fat is to satiety
  • DarlingNikki2011
    kirkor wrote: »
    Yep, what @radii said:

* carbs are a limit
    * protein is a goal
    * fat is to satiety

That's succinct! :)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited January 2015
    Yep, what @radii said:

* carbs are a limit
    * protein is a goal
    * fat is to satiety

Well said Kirkor & Radii!

Dan the Man from Michigan

• embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    well so far for me , i have noticed the percentages are what has mattered most , but thats just me . Because I discovered i have been eating too little
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    If I stay under on carbs, a bit over on either fat or protein and never much under on either I'm happy. I don't eat much on this diet so percentages really matter.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    For those that follow % and have a calorie deficit, it's important that protein not be *too* low otherwise muscle-wasting is a concern.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    This is a great thread, good question Darling!
    Especially love "carbs to limit, protein to goal, fat to satiety". I won't forget that!
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    For those that follow % and have a calorie deficit, it's important that protein not be *too* low otherwise muscle-wasting is a concern.
    agreed. m stuck at home at the moment and have run out of protein almost!! and therefore my ratio is down . frustrating as some fish or a steak would be damn good about now.