ANNOUNCEMENT: Earned Days Off

Options
caradae
caradae Posts: 743 Member
For anyone's who's worried that you won't be able to exercise or stick to your diet for a solid month, I'm offering the option of Earned Days Off.

Here's how it works:

1. You can earn up to 3 days off.

2. An "Earned Day Off" is defined as a day on which you don't have to keep track of your calories, or eat within your calorie goals, or exercise. You can relax on an Earned Day Off. I don't encourage you to binge, but the day is yours to do with as you please.

3. Some good uses for Earned Days Off: holidays, birthdays, weddings, reward for sticking with the challenge, 3-day break between challenges (taking the last 3 days of June off, for instance--a little break, if you intend to participate in July's challenge).

4. You must already have earned an Earned Day Off in order to take a day off from the challenge. If you slip up and don't have an Earned Day Off saved up, you're out.

HOW TO EARN "EARNED DAYS OFF"

To earn a day off you must:
1. Read a book or article, watch a show, movie, or documentary, or attend or watch a lecture,
and
2. Write a brief essay about it. The essay should be at least two paragraphs long: one paragraph describing what you watched or read; one paragraph giving us your opinion of it,
and
3. Post your essay here.

The topic of the book, article, show, movie, documentary, or lecture must be health-, weight-, or diet-related. Each essay is worth one day off. You can earn up to three days off per month. Earned days off don't roll over: any days off earned during June must be used during June or not at all.

You can read/watch whatever you want (as long as it's health-, weight-, or diet-related), but here are some suggestions*:

-ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS: BIG BOOK (a non-fiction book used by Overaters Anonymous (OA members replace the word "alcohol" with "food"; "alcoholism" with "overeating"; and "alcoholics" with "overeaters"))
-THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF DIETGIRL by Shauna Reid (autobiography)
-THE ANOREXIA DIARIES by Linda and Tara Rio (autobiography)
-APPETITES: WHY WOMEN WANT by Caroline Knapp (autobiography)
-THE BIGGEST LOSER (TV show)
-BORN TO RUN by Christopher McDougall
-BRAIN ON FIRE: MY MONTH OF MADNESS by Susannah Cahalan
-THE CHINA STUDY by T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell II (non-fiction book)
-COMFORT ME WITH APPLES by Ruth Reichl (autobiography)
-DISFIGURED (movie)
-THE EMPORER OF ALL MALADIES by Siddhartha Mukherjee
-FAST FOOD NATION by Eric Schlosser (non-fiction book)
-FAT CHANCE by Robert Lustig (non-fiction book)
-FAT VAMPIRE by Johnny B. Truant (fiction book)
-FOOD RULES by Michael Pollan (non-fiction book)
-GOOD CALORIES BAD CALORIES by Gary Taubes (non-fiction book)
-GOOD GIRLS DON'T GET FAT: HOW WEIGHT OBSESSION IS MESSING UP OUR GIRLS AND HOW WE CAN HELP THEM THRIVE DESPITE IT by Robyn Silverman and Dina Santorelli
-GULP: ADVENTURES ON THE ALIMENTARY CANAL by Mary Roach (non-fiction book)
-HEALTH AT EVERY SIZE by Linda Bacon (non-ficiton book)
-HOW DOCTORS THINK by Jerome Groopman
-HUNGRY GIRL by Lisa Lillien (cookbook series)
-THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS by Rebecca Skloot (non-fiction book; biography)
-IN DEFENSE OF FOOD: AN EATER'S MANIFESTO by Michael Pollan (non-fiction book)
-JEMIMA J by Jane Green (fiction book)
-THE JESUS DIET: AN EASY WAY FOR CHRISTIANS TO LOSE WEIGHT by Philip and Agnes Maynard
-JULIE & JULIA by Julie Powell (autobiography, movie)
-THE OBESITY MYTH by Paul Campos (non-fiction book)
-THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA by Michael Pollan (non-fiction book)
-PALEOFANTASY by Marlene Zuk (non-fiction book)
-THE SIMPSONS (TV show, certain episodes)
-SIZE 12 IS NOT FAT by Meg Cabot (fiction book)
-SIZE 14 IS NOT FAT EITHER by Meg Cabot (fiction book)
-SKINNY ***** by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin (non-fiction book)
-SOUTH PARK (TV show, certain episodes)
-SUCH A PRETTY FAT by Jen Lancaster (autobiography)
-SUGAR: THE BITTER TRUTH by Robert Lustig (lecture, available on YouTube)
-SUPERSIZE ME (documentary)
-THINNER by Stephen King alias Richard Bachman (fiction book, movie)
-WHY WE GET FAT: AND WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT by Gary Taubes

*I don't necessarily endorse or agree with the opinions presented in these titles; I'm suggesting them because I think they're interesting and would spark some good discussions.

If you would like to suggest some titles, please feel free to post them in this thread. I will add your suggestions to the list above.

Replies

• armywf07
    armywf07 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you read Julie and Julia the lobster part in the book is funny as all get out!
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I like this idea! Thanks! My sisters wedding is coming up and I might get a couple of earned days off just in case I don't do as well as I hope I do! I'm still going to plan to NOT slip up, but it's nice to have a backup. :)
  • JessiokaFroka
    JessiokaFroka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This is a really good idea :)
  • caradae
    Options
    I'm glad you like the idea. I wasn't sure about it, since I think some people are attracted to this challenge for the all-or-nothingness of it. But I think it's still pretty challenging even with the days off.
  • caradae
    Options
    My first essay for June's challenge.

Lecture: "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" by Dr. Lustig (available on YouTube)

Description of the lecture:
    "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" is Dr. Lustig's highly viewed lecture on YouTube about why sugar--not just high fructose corn syrup, but ALL sugars--is essentially poison to humans. Our extremely sweet diet, Dr. Lustig argues, is the primary culprit behind the world's recent "obesity epidemic." Fairly accessibly, Lustig spends a good chunk of the lecture explaining the bio-chemical processes involved in our metabolization of sucrose and other non-glucose sugars: basically, our bodies aren't designed to metabolize sucrose in the huge quantities that we've been consuming it in recent years. Dr. Lustig explains that, while many areas of our bodies can use glucose, the only area of our bodies that can use sucrose and other sugars is the liver. And once the liver has had its fill of the sucrose we've given it, the excess sugar is stored as fat. Because massive amounts of sucrose is packed into pretty much every piece of processed food out there these days, everyone is fat or getting there.

My opinion of the lecture:
    I've known for several years that high fructose corn syrup is horrible for our bodies. I remember learning in 2006, during a nutrition course I was taking in college, that we don't process high fructose corn syrup in a normal way; our bodies have real difficulty processing it. And I remember learning that almost every processed food out there contains high fructose corn syrup, which means that we're consuming massive amounts of this thing that our bodies don't really know how to metabolize. Thus, fat. Thus, disease. But I didn't know, until I watched Dr. Lustig's lecture, that our bodies don't easily metabolize ANY kind of sugar besides glucose. I think about all the sugar-packed tablespoons of creamer I dump into my coffee every morning, and I wonder how much of my body fat can be attributed to that alone.

The one thing I wasn't sure about, while watching "Sugar: The Bitter Truth," was Lustig's claim that sugar is addictive. I mean, sure--maybe sugar is mildly addictive. But if I wanted to stop eating sugar, I could do it easily, I thought. So, I spent yesterday and today trying to limit my sugar consumption. I usually eat a TON of the stuff. I did pretty well yesterday, but today I ate four donuts. Four. Donuts. I have no idea why. I was all set to did this thing--to never eat unnecessary sucrose ever again. And I ate four donuts. So, yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say that, for me anyway, sugar is extremely addictive. I'm going to continue to try to plug away at my new low-sucrose diet, but I'm going to have more respect for the control sucrose has over me. I binged today because I hadn't eaten any breakfast or taken anything to snack on at the swap meet a friend and I were going to. When my friend pulled out a huge box of donuts, I was done for. I was hungry and I had nothing else to eat. And, let's face it, I'm a sugar addict. Of course I ate those donuts.

I'm glad I watched that lecture. Dr. Lustig is a little bit alarmist and I think sugar probably isn't quite the demon he's making it out to be, but I think he's right overall. I believe I'll have an easier time with our limited-calorie diet, taking the processed sugar out of it.
  • shuki_cotren
    Options
    My first essay for June's challenge.

Lecture: "The Hunter-Farmer Healthy Weight Solution With Mark Liponis, MD" (Watched on WTVS Detroit Public Television)

Description of the lecture:
    The The Hunter-Farmer Healthy Weight Solution" is a book by Mark Liponis and he gave a lecture/seminar for public television. The lecture was an overview of the book, and provided everything someone would need to know to categorize themselves into one of two groups- a "hunter" or a "farmer". A hunter is typically someone that's primary weight issue is around the belly, and a farmer is someone that carries weight in the butt/thighs. It can also be determined by a variety of blood tests that he names, or simply a calculation of waist:hips. His theory is backed by Stanford University's A to Z Weightloss Study. The doctor claims that the two groups of people "differ genetically in how their bodies respond to insulin and certain hormones, as well as how they metabolize carbs and fats" (http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/body-type-diet-solutions-big-belly-or-big-butt). According to his diet, "hunters" need a low-glycemic diet that fuels their metabolism by eating a high-protein diet and limiting carbs/starchy foods and should limit their meals to 2 a day; "farmers" need to prevent drops in blood sugar by eating lots of small meals, eating carbohydrates, reducing fat intake, eating more slowly, and avoiding skipping meals.

My opinion of the lecture:
    This lecture made a lot of sense to me, although I have almost no knowledge of biological functions going on in the body. His points seemed to be logical and well-backed up with clinical studies (although I did not go look at the studies myself). I read the reviews on amazon for his book, and they seem very mixed. I believe many people do not want to be told that the human race can be divided in 2 and then all problems will be solved. The reviews also indicated that the book does not have much more information than the summary information I provided above. There are some recipes, but according to reviewers, the book cannot be followed as a diet plan because it lacks practical recipes and food lists. Based on my experience watching the lecture, and reading the reviews on amazon for Dr. Liponis' book, I believe that his theories sound plausible. I, however, as a "farmer", would never cut out healthy fats or eat pretzels and crackers all day. Just hearing him say I could do that made me want to go pig out on carbs, and that just does not seem like a good weight-loss strategy. I also don't believe it would be good for the "hunters" to stop eating whole grains, although I'm not sure if the "rules" for people in these two categories are actually about "limiting" or "reducing" certain foods rather than completely cutting them out. I would have to read the book to find this out, and I don't plan on doing that.

All in all, I learned a little about my body type (why I have thick thighs instead of belly fat) and I find that I will take a few things from what I heard today, but I do not plan on dropping my current strategies on MFP (which have been working fine) or making any drastic changes to my diet. I am working on implementing eating small meals throughout the day, but I was doing that before hearing this lecture. At least the point has been reaffirmed for me.
  • shuki_cotren
    Options
    I'm glad I watched that lecture. Dr. Lustig is a little bit alarmist and I think sugar probably isn't quite the demon he's making it out to be, but I think he's right overall. I believe I'll have an easier time with our limited-calorie diet, taking the processed sugar out of it.

I agree- I think some sugar is okay, but def. high-fructose corn syrup is BAD and any processed/sugary foods are BAD. I don't think a little bit of white/processed sugar is BAD though. If you don't buy junk food (cookies/candy), you're already cutting out almost all added sugars from your diet.
  • caradae
    Options
    So that's the hunter/farmer hypothesis I keep hearing about. What if you're a hunter AND a farmer? I feel so productive, suddenly...

Good essay, shuki. You have a day off now. Spend it by not signing in for a day.
  • caradae
    Options
    My second essay for June's challenge

Title: Julie & Julie (film)

Description:
    Julie & Julia is a true-story film about blogger Julie and her idol Julia Child. The film switches between perspectives, now in 2002 following Julie as she cooks and blogs her way, one recipe at a time, through Julia Child's famous cookbook _Mastering the Art of French Cooking_, now in the 1950s following Julia Child as she becomes, well, Julia Child. The movie is about so many things. Cooking and blogging, of course. But also: Internet obsession, being a writer who's trying to get discovered, turning 30, peer rivalry, marriage, love, friendship, persistence, and McCarthyism.

Opinion:
    Julie & Julia is very much a story of our time. Almost everyone I know who's seen this film loves it, even if they're not normally into "chick flicks." It's immensely relateable, every part of it. But, because I'm writing this report for a weight management group, I'm going to focus only on the cooking aspects of the movie. Firstly, the lobster. Oh. My. Gosh. I couldn't have done it. I couldn't have killed the lobster "humanely" (by stabbing it in the head, as Julia Child suggests), but I couldn't have tossed it alive into a pot of boiling water, either. I know the scene is supposed to be funny, and it is, but I don't think I've ever been closer to becoming a vegetarian than I was when I saw that scene for the first time.

It's amazing, the effect movies and commercials can have on our eating choices. My reaction to the lobster scene in Julie & Julia was a very conscious one, but most of my reactions to things I see on TV are, I know, subconscious. My 231-pound body: is it entirely my fault that it's that heavy? No, not entirely. Every year, food companies pour millions of dollars into research to find out precisely how to make me want to eat their food. Sometimes I feel as though it's not a matter of simply having will power; sometimes I feel as though it's a hopeless battle. That, no matter how determined I am to lose weight and eat the right things now, I'll always succumb in the end. But I'm tired of thinking that way. I figure, if watching commercials and shows on TV can influence me to eat poorly, then maybe watching another kind of show on TV can influence me to eat well. Every couple of days, I've been re-watching that "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" lecture on YouTube to remind myself how important it is not to succumb to all the propaganda that makes consuming sugar seem normal and harmless. I hope this strategy works.
  • JessiokaFroka
    Options
    1st essay for June

Julie and Julia (film)

Julie and Julia is about a blogger who finds her life's calling and expresses her passion for cooking by working her way through all 500+ recipes in Julia Child's famous cookbook, 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking.' The story also follows the life of Julia Child herself, cataloging day-to-day and major life events as told by Julia's and her husband's old letters. The film is about following one's passion in order to find joy in life through the medium of cooking.

I love this movie. I've seen it about 7 seven times (give or take) and I fall on love with both Julie and Julia a little more every time. I love that both characters are fun-loving, hard-working, and make the difficult leap to doing what they love for a living. This movie actually inspired me to try French food, which I had never had before, and I love it! It has inspired a passion in me to love cooking (although finding the time and energy after a long workday is still an area in which I need to make some progress.) I love that neither character seems to have a bad, self-loathing relationship with food. Food brings them joy and they feel no shame for it. It's inspiring to strive toward this outlook on my own relationship with food.
  • JessiokaFroka
    Options
    2nd essay for June

Sugar: The Bitter Truth (1.5 hour lecture by Dr. Lustig, video on YouTube)

Dr. Lustig approaches the correlation between high fructose corn syrup and the obesity epidemic simply and clearly. He approaches the subject of obesity from several different angles, and all of the evidence points towards the insane amount of high fructose corn syrup that is in all of the food that we eat. He goes on to show in great detail how, exactly, our bodies metabolize different types of sugar, including glucose, ethanol, and high fructose corn syrup, Culminating in the conclusion that high fructose corn syrup is the cause of many of today's health problems, including obesity, type two diabetes, and hypertension. Finally, the lecture gives the audience a simple list of changes that he gives to his own pediatric patients in order to drastically change their BMIs and overall health.

I found this lecture to be fascinating and, even though I would consider myself to be a layperson in this area of nutrition, the lecture itself was given simply enough that I could understand everything being set. Dr. Lustig Is a powerful speaker and gets his point across clearly, concisely, and without talking down to the audience. I left the video of this lecture feeling like weight-loss and avoidance of disease was far more within my reach with this knowledge. I was appalled and fascinated to learn how the US DA works, how fiber is not considered to be an important nutrient according to the government, and exactly how much sugar is in the formula that we are feeding to our babies. Within hours after watching it I found myself turning down things like soda and candy, simply because of the new knowledge that I have. I am going to be purchasing the book 'Fat Chance' by Dr. Lustig and reading that as well
  • armywf07
    armywf07 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl cookbooks

By me...lol

I am cookbook collector, I have 60 plus gooseberry patch cookbooks, the joy of cooking, and more. I recently purchased the Hungry Girl to the max cookbook. I really like this cookbook and it's a smash up of all her cookbooks plus extra recipes rolled up in big book. One can say its almost Hungry Girl cookbook bible.

Description

Hungry Girl is a concept of eating great food that is also healthy for you. The writer loves food but not the empty carbs and high calories that go with it in massive portions. Each recipe in the book explains a little about each yummy recipe with nutritional facts such as serving size (which a lot of the time is 1 serving- almost 2 cups), calories, carbs and great hints/tips as well. The writer's opinion and mine as well is who said healthy food can't taste good too? Hungry girl recipes vary from egg mugs to desserts, comfort to international favorites such as Mexican and Chinese.

Opinion

I love hungry girl cookbook despite it having pink pages. I have made many recipes from the cookbook and granted some may need tweaking or others I couldn't finish the full serving because I became fully. If your wanting to enjoy food with flavor and not feel bad than this cookbook is for you. I will warn you the s'mores oatmeal is to yummy to express and only at 299 calories for an 8oz much you get have chocolate and marshmallows oh my! It's good to find a cookbook that will leave you full, that's healthy and not full of hidden nasty surprises like cookbooks.