Starting Regular Exercise- Add more protein?

hippygirl325
hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
I have my macros set at 75/20/5. If I start moderate exercise like 3 x a week do you think I need to add more protein or just make sure I get the full 20% on days I work out?

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Depends on the exercise, calorie limit, goals for the exercise, etc.
    Strenuous weightlifting, might want a bit more, walk/jog cardio, probably not. I up my protein on days that I lift a lot....but I lift pretty heavy stuff.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    I don't think so. If your macros are already set to provide .6 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, then you are already supplying your body with the right ratio. I have been reading "the art and science of low carbohydrate performance" which talks about the science of keto and working out. It's really technical, but I feel the authors have a solid and scientific view of low carb which is really interesting and eye opening to me.

I too am at the point where I want to start adding in more regular exercise, which is why I bought the above book. I don't plan on upping my protein in anyway, nor my calorie intake. At least not initially. If I get back to my pre keto routine (cardio 2-4 times week of 2 mile runs, and strength/resistance training 2-4 times week), and feel like I am hungrier, I will up my calories without modifying my macros.

Good luck in whatever you decide.