Calorie/excerise/HRM tracker

Options
duckykissy
duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
I would really like to keep track of my exercise a bit better so I was thinking of getting something like the Fitbit or UP3 but I really can't afford them and can't find a place that sells the UP3 in Australia. I also need it to be more plastic than metal as I have several metal allergies. (It's also a bonus if it's waterproof/resistant as I swim)

Can anyone recommend a good one, preferably under a hundred.

Replies

• myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If you decide to get a Fitbit there are plenty on Gumtree for sale (depending where you are)
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Or look into a suitable Polar product
  • Fridge67
    Fridge67 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use the sony version , good for swimming except salt water
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The Polar FT4 is a great all-rounder starter watch. All plastic. Mine was about $96 a year ago Online so it has probably dropped down. Have a look at Wiggle.com.au, Gumtree, Facebook buy sell and swap groups in your area, Ebay, etc. It's been a great little gadget and helped me lose 22kg. You might be able to get something second hand as well, though I wouldn't use a second hand chest strap-those can be purchased separately online etc anyways :)
  • Jmatacz
    Jmatacz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love my polar f4 but I'm going to get the fitbit charge hr once it comes out in plum (hopefully not too far off).
  • walruslike
    walruslike Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There is a dirt cheap chinese band called the Mi band by Xiaomi that costs $13. I think it's still only avail in China. Or you can look at the $50 Zip or Flash counters. They will do the basics.

The Up3 isn't avail anywhere yet.... Production issues. I stopped waiting for Up3 and got a Charge HR.... it's great.
  • petakenchington
    Options
    Had a Jawbone for Xmas pressie, works well, seems to have a poor record but is working well for me,
    plenty on Gumtree , quite cheap.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I have a stupid question but will ask anyway as I'm thinking of getting a HRM to replace my fitbit one. If I get a chest strap one do I wear it all day long and can I swim in it? Or do I only put it on when going to exercise. I don't like wearing the massive watches ... And fitbit is only really good for counting steps. I want to know how much I'm burning from weights
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I have a stupid question but will ask anyway as I'm thinking of getting a HRM to replace my fitbit one. If I get a chest strap one do I wear it all day long and can I swim in it? Or do I only put it on when going to exercise. I don't like wearing the massive watches ... And fitbit is only really good for counting steps. I want to know how much I'm burning from weights

I don't wear my chest strap all day long. I only wear it when I'm exercising. I've worn mine in the pool before, but, I think the strap gets loose when I'm in the water & never picks up my heart rate, so, I don't bother with it in the pool anymore.

• ozziedamo
    ozziedamo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What's the best activity band on the market. This is all new to me and I'm think about tracking my fitness. I have a gps on my bike and purchasing the heart rate monitor to suit. Don't know if I should get a activity band as well?? Anyone got any ideas cheers ??
  • exerciseforhealth
    exerciseforhealth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    duckykissy wrote: »
    I would really like to keep track of my exercise a bit better so I was thinking of getting something like the Fitbit or UP3 but I really can't afford them and can't find a place that sells the UP3 in Australia. I also need it to be more plastic than metal as I have several metal allergies. (It's also a bonus if it's waterproof/resistant as I swim)

Have you thought about using a phone app? What sort of activity do you do?
  • ozziedamo
    ozziedamo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mostly MTB and road bike play a bit of squash as well I have a I phone 4 but some of the apps require later version software I got strava it seems pretty good
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Have you thought about using a phone app? What sort of activity do you do?
    I mostly do walking atm, although I want to get back into yoga and swimming. I looked at phone apps, but either I'm looking at the wrong ones, or my phone is a bit special. It may be both because my phone hates MFP app and a few others. Still I think that a pedometer is the best I can do with a phone and that's just not what I want.

• wolfbiteaus
    wolfbiteaus Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit charge hr for all day use and a scosche Rhythm+ while exercising (more accurate and wears on wrist/arm)
    also have a chest strap but hate wearing it
    most hr device are not that crash hot for swimming unless you buy more expensive types
    for swimming your probably better off with a chest strap
  • davjohang
    davjohang Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I use a Timex ironman it has a separate harm strap and the watch has many great features