Avoiding those alcohol calories?

So while I'm excited I've been doing so well on my calorie intake, it occured to me that alcoholic drinks obviously can have high calorie contents. As college students, do you guys have any go to drinks or any tips for keeping your calorie intake low/on goal while enjoying our time in college?

Replies

• ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    For me at least, it's not really the alcohol that adds up. It's the mixers (margaritas, sodas, juices, etc) and the food that I eat when drinking! I'd suggest sticking to diet coke/other low calorie mixers for mixed drinks, and try avoiding the munchies!
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    For me personally I try to plan it into my budget. I also like red wine on ice (and sometimes even just diluted with water) so it adds volume and I don't finish is as quickly.
  • grainnebaker7
    grainnebaker7 Posts: 2 Member
    White spirits like vodka with a low calorie mixer (like tonic water) can be a good option. I always try to drink moderately and plan it into my calorie limit for a particular day though.
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    White spirits like vodka with a low calorie mixer (like tonic water) can be a good option. I always try to drink moderately and plan it into my calorie limit for a particular day though.

This is spot on for me. Vodka, gin, rum and tonic or seltzer. Also, now that I am in bourbon country I do the same with bourbon and diet coke, diet ginger ale, and even sugar free redbull.

Dry wines are also very essy go toos because the calories are less because of lower sugar content.

Whatever you do, dont fall into the beer trap. It is really calorie heavy even for just one.
  • x_makewar_x
    x_makewar_x Posts: 8 Member
    i feel like if you wanna drink it is impossible to avoid having extra calories. But using low calorie or calorie free mixer really helps when drinking a mixed drink!
  • I usually drink red wine because it has less calories and doesn't need a mixer. 100 calories per glass sounds fair to me and i metabolize it faster than well drinks so i can study hangover free lol
  • White spirits like vodka with a low calorie mixer (like tonic water) can be a good option. I always try to drink moderately and plan it into my calorie limit for a particular day though.

This is spot on for me. Vodka, gin, rum and tonic or seltzer. Also, now that I am in bourbon country I do the same with bourbon and diet coke, diet ginger ale, and even sugar free redbull.

Dry wines are also very essy go toos because the calories are less because of lower sugar content.

Whatever you do, dont fall into the beer trap. It is really calorie heavy even for just one.

I hate beer, so no need to worry about that!!

Thanks for the advice to everyone. It looks like even my "normal" drinking habits were quite healthy!!
  • Just drink water >:)

• Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    I always go for wine or diet rum and coke. I'm okay with going over my calories on a weekend.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    As someone who doesn't drink except at holiday festivals, the fun is not in getting drunk or buzzed. It is in watching the people around you get drunk and do stupid-drunk-person things.