June check in and chat:June-o mess with these chicks

Options

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    But ... but ... she's askeert!

Actually, I've pretty much already decided that I'ma do a full reset and Stronglifts it for a couple months or so, so that by the time the dates are set and sign-ups are available, I can gauge better if I'm going to be in any sort of competition mode by the time September rolls around.

Plus, I have to see if I can just compete on Saturday because of my work schedule, as it's shaping up to probably be a Friday/Saturday event.

I think I have a good enough foundation to get cracking. Hopefully my ADD will keep me interested long enough, now that I actually have something to train for.

Also, they make you wear those skin-tight lifting suits. Mama isn't super excited at the thought of having to wear one of those ... seriously, why oh why?
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    My guess is that the spandex is to ensure proper form is actually achieved. Like in the bench, you cannot lift your butt off the bench and the only way to catch that is if the shorts are tight.

To keep the ADD away, you can always mix up the lifts a little. I'm doing that for squats and it keeps it different enough I don't always feel like I'm really doing squats 3x a week. Plus it lets me work on other components in the squat that the standard up down doesn't hit.

If it works within your work schedule I would say go for it. At the least you will take away a new point of view in lifting, meet women who also do what you love, and see other women rocking the competition.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You're quite welcome. All this stuff is so technical, every little bit helps to get our heads around it. It's really not as simple as "here's a barbell, now go lift it".

Hey, you're gonna have those days where everything is hard and every lift seems to go to crap. Lifting is a mental game as much as a physical one, and your mental state has everything to do with it. Not to mention diet, sleep, overall stress burden, etc. Then you're gonna have days where everything clicks and you breeze through the whole thing and come out on cloud 9. And days in between.

You're doing wonderfully!!! Great numbers!!

Thanks, again :flowerforyou: I left for my anniversary trip just feeling "off" (the bad workout was right before I left--boo). Reading this cheered me up.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Great numbers, ladies! And for the ones who will be competing: GO FOR IT! :flowerforyou:

Regarding plate math: I suck at doing math in my head. I use the LiftBig app to keep track of my workouts, which means I always have my phone, so I always have a calculator. :embarassed: This morning I had to use to figure out how much to put on the barbell for my deadlifts.

Workout B this morning:
    Squats: 90lbs - 55555 - Felt good at five reps, I'll probably try for six next time and then see if I can go for 95lbs. I won't get to my goal of 100lbs for July 1st, but I'll get close and I'm proud of that.
    OHP: 55lbs - 55544 - Couldn't manage the last rep on the last two sets, BUT it's finally at 55lbs! WOO! Weak shoulders finally improving a bit!
    Deadlift: 110lbs -5 - Felt really good, going to try to go for 115lbs next time.

I just want to say how much I love this program. My bodyweight isn't changing much, and I don't think my measurements are changing* but I don't care. I love knowing I'm getting stronger and it's such a rush when you hit a personal record. :heart:

*Tape measure isn't moving, but maybe I'm losing in places I don't measure. I think my thighs looked smaller this morning. One month progress photos are being done this weekend.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    So, I watched a guy who is probably 5'4" and 180-200 lbs of muscle deadlift 315 today. Always fun to see 3 45 lb plates on each side. I've also watched him do a one arm clean and press using the oly bar at a weight of 95 lbs.

OMG. That's astounding.

Glad you were able to carry 30 pounds of blueberries. Did you do it as a waitress carry or a farmer's carry? :wink:

I trained yesterday.

Squats 100 3X5 felt good, feeling it a little in my butt this morning.

Bench 65 3X5 felt good. Not as easy as I would have wished for, but definitely owned it.

Power Cleans (yay!) 45 1X3 50 4X3 I added weight to my power cleans! I was so stoked. And I puffyheart power cleans soso much. I would love to move into Olympic lifts someday.

Lifiting took about 45 minutes to do. Then I cycled for 20 minutes. And had a blood sugar crash. :sad: I remember now that I had my pre-workout snack early, 'cause I was hungry -- I'm sure that was what was wrong. I hate blood sugar crashes. Even after I had the shakes under control, my brain was left a fuzzy, empty wasteland. I had no idea how to do all the things that I had planned to do after the gym so I just came home and asked DP for help. Thankfully, he's a great guy and he did my errands for me after we'd finished dinner.

My next training session is on Thursday and I will be in Orlando. I found a gym that is owned by Brian Schwab, a legendary powerlifter. I'm going to go check it out and I'm exited about that!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Elaine - are you doing power cleans in place of rows? I 've been thinking about doing that since I HATE rows. Anyway--great numbers and increases :)

As for plate math, my 8-year old daughter is really good at doing math in her head. If she's watching me lift, she always adds up what's on the bar. She's only been of by 5 lbs a couple times, which is better than I've done on occasion!

Dani and JStout - do you have a plan for competition training? I'm interested in hearing how you prep for that, since I have some minor interest as well.

This morning - I did 3x5 of everything
    Squats - 160
    Bench - 100 - with the "competition pause"
    Rows - 110 (although my form was !@#$ on these--will drop back down 5 lbs or switch to cleans.)
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Dani and JStout - do you have a plan for competition training? I'm interested in hearing how you prep for that, since I have some minor interest as well.

I have absolutely no plan other than secretly getting out of it, personally, and profusely lying to JStout about how I deadlifted 600 pounds that day, because ... magic! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

In all seriousness, Stronglifts/Starting Strength is my plan. I'm still far from tapping out on noobie gains, so for me that would be the most predictable way to make relatively quick strength gains and then switch to something more intermediate after that. Powerlifting meets are all about 1RM on back squats, deadlifts (classic or sumo) and bench press, so crank those as high as possible and use accessory lifts to help get your numbers up. Rip mentions those in Starting Strength.
    My next training session is on Thursday and I will be in Orlando. I found a gym that is owned by Brian Schwab, a legendary powerlifter. I'm going to go check it out and I'm exited about that!

Oooooooooh. I'll have to bookmark his page and pay a visit next time I'm in O-town. We live only an hour away!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I have absolutely no plan other than secretly getting out of it, personally, and profusely lying to JStout about how I deadlifted 600 pounds that day, because ... magic! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    Options
    Elaine - are you doing power cleans in place of rows? I 've been thinking about doing that since I HATE rows. Anyway--great numbers and increases :)

I did Stronglifts at first for a couple of months (Pendlay Rows and all!) but have switched and I am now doing Starting Strength. I chose Starting Strength for a few reasons.

Rippetoe has far better credentials than Mehdi. I found the explanations clearer and more thorough, and that's because Rippetoe has both more book learning and more experience.

Rippetoe doesn't send my e-mails trying to get me to join his stupid inner circle LOL.

The Rippetoe progression to intermediate makes more sense to me than the Mehdi one does. I'm older, I have fibromyalgia, and I find that the SS universe has more information about tweaking things to fit *me* than the SL universe does. Instead of just switching routines one day, I have options to make small changes here and there that can (hopefully) keep me progressing linearly for longer.

Lastly...

Apparently there's a bit of a p!ssing match between Mehdi and Rippetoe about Pendlay Rows... I chose to side with Rippetoe.

Pendlay rows are an incredible back exercise, extremely useful. Rippetoe sees them as an assistance lift supporting deadlifts. He says that cultivating speed and explosive power -- the kind that Olympic lifters use -- is essential to being a well-rounded athlete. I can agree with that. My example is that you see a toddler teetering on the edge of a counter or something -- you need a burst of speed & power to grab her & get her to safety. I sometimes need explosive power when I'm riding, like when I park and forget to put my kickstand down and need to grab my bike before it goes over.

And I tried power cleans and loved them.

When I master my power clean technique, I will be adding in assistance lifts for my back, including Pendlay Rows.

So, there's more information than you probably wanted, but at least it could help balance things out for you. Subbing in Power Cleans because you hate Pendlays maybe isn't the best reason to do it, but if there are other factors that help tip the scales, then go for it! If you don't have it, I can't recommend the book Starting Strength highly enough. No matter what program you are doing, the information is absolutely invaluable.

And, of course, I couldn't write a long-winded post without a link:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#Three_Flavors_of_Starting_Strength
  • BikerGirlElaine
    Options

Oh, don't do it if it makes you feel stressed. It should be fun!

Oooooooooh. I'll have to bookmark his page and pay a visit next time I'm in O-town. We live only an hour away!
    [/quote]

I am going to have a lot of free time on this trip. I'll PM you about maybe meeting for coffee!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Came in kind of halfway through a lot of things....so my apologies if I'm off on anything somehow....

First....yay for Dani and jstout for competing! I can't wait to see how awesome you ladies do :bigsmile:

Second....in regards to the SS vs SL debate.....both are totally solid programs and it's best to just pick what works best for you. With that being said, I do find that the form on the SL lifts a bit easier to get down if you aren't working with a trainer. I have researched and watched a lot of videos regarding Oly lifts and I have to say, jumping up and down with even just a 45lb barbell, not knowing if my form is right really kind of freaks me out.....but that's just me and I workout at home :happy:

So I'm in my second week of BB and loving it! One thing I have noticed though, is that it might be a good idea for me to alternate my schedule a bit. I have always lifted every other day with cardio on non lifting days, but I'm finding now that I am doing upper/lower splits, it's harder to do my runs on my non-lifting days after lower body....does that make sense? lol Anyway....thinking of going lower/upper/cardio 3 day rotation rather than lower/cardio/upper/cardio. We shall see how I make out!
  • DaniH826
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason to not sub out power cleans for Pendlay rows and maybe doing some (heavy) dumbbell rows if you're so inclined and are looking for an alternate rowing movement while at the same time wanting to train an explosive lift and Pendlays aren't doing it for you (which, by the way, Pendlays are supposed to be explosive also ... cause Mr. Pendlay happens to be an Olympic lifting coach).

Rippetoe trains professional athletes, and Starting Strength's premise is to max out strength gains in 90 days or less. Starting Strength is only one of many 3x5 lifting programs.

Mehdi's main marketing premise is to get young skinny lads big, strong and muscular in 90 days or less. Stronglifts is only one of many 5x5 lifting programs.

Both concepts have been around for a long time, and there really is no debate, because it's not an either/or premise. I mean, heck, do 4x5 and settle in the middle. Cause why not? You'll still get stronger, as long as you do the compound lifts, and as long as you regularly put more plates on that bar!

Having said all that, when it comes to expertly advice, I'll take Rip's over Mehdi any day, but as far as the programs go ... it's fine to tweak them according to your own preferences as long as you maintain the basic premise and you understand that your results are going to probably not be typical, because to get the results of a specific program, you have to follow the specific program. If you deviate from the program, then your results are going to deviate also. That's just common sense.

So yanno, pick what works for you, and lift on!

I personally did Pendlays and power cleans both on the same day for a good while, just because I could and I didn't want to have to choose. I might go back to that again because it was actually quite fun. Cause ain't no rule saying I can't do both. Or neither. :wink:
  • jstout365
    Options

I have no training plan for competing as of yet. I have an altered schedule that isn't a true SL program right now that I would continue with for the time being.
    I have absolutely no plan other than secretly getting out of it, personally, and profusely lying to JStout about how I deadlifted 600 pounds that day, because ... magic!

You don't have to lie to me! I think you can kick @ss at any weight you pull because you didn't let your fear stop you from being even more AWESOME!!

Okay so I did some research last night and read some of the USAPL rules on competition and wow. It isn't just getting a singlet to wear, but also making sure my shoes are approved, getting the correct type of t-shirt for under the singlet, and determining if the wrist wrap I have is legal. BUT....I did find a competition about 3 hours away from me scheduled for August 10th.

http://www.purepowerlifting.com/New/

It is only bench and deadlift, but those are the two lifts I am solid in so I figure it would be a great start. I have to register by July 10th so not too much more time to get my head out of my backside and woman up to do it. I'm going to try and change my gym schedule a little so I can talk to the PL coach I met a few weeks ago. Even if he isn't able to work with me, I am sure he knows of others in the local PL community who can.

I am not planning on any crazy training between now and then and will give it a go just to get my feet wet in the PL competitions and see where I stack up.
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Okay so I did some research last night and read some of the USAPL rules on competition and wow. It isn't just getting a singlet to wear, but also making sure my shoes are approved, getting the correct type of t-shirt for under the singlet, and determining if the wrist wrap I have is legal. BUT....I did find a competition about 3 hours away from me scheduled for August 10th.

http://www.purepowerlifting.com/New/

It is only bench and deadlift, but those are the two lifts I am solid in so I figure it would be a great start. I have to register by July 10th so not too much more time to get my head out of my backside and woman up to do it. I'm going to try and change my gym schedule a little so I can talk to the PL coach I met a few weeks ago. Even if he isn't able to work with me, I am sure he knows of others in the local PL community who can.

I am not planning on any crazy training between now and then and will give it a go just to get my feet wet in the PL competitions and see where I stack up.

That is awesome!! I'm going to have to check into the financial aspect cause I still lift in my Nikes and quite frankly have no desire to purchase all this equipment, plus pay sign-up fees, when I'm trying to get a company off the ground and have other obligations coming up.

Not trying to make excuses (okay, maybe just a little :blushing:), but there is a financial consideration involved that I'm going to have to seriously mull over. If they'd let me lift in my Nikes with my tanktop and shorts, I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about it. Getting serious about competition is an investment. And well, I'm a cheap skate, so there you go. Signing up for something 3 hours away would be out of the question, so hey, mad props to you!! :drinker:
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'll have to go back and read everything later, but want to get this in writing before I forget it all.

Workout 2 of the new 3x5 Superset Madness

Squats 1x5@ 135, 145, 155 Hoo boy was that 155 heavy.
    Bench 665 @102.5 That last one just wasn't happening. Superset with 3x10 Pallof Presses at 20 lb.
    Rows 3x5 @ 100 - First time back after the break, and probably could have gone up, but. .
    -superset with glute bridges, 3x8 @95 and woodchoppers, 3x10 @30
    Farmers walk, 60 steps each side, 40 lb.
    Waiters carry, 60 steps each side, 30 lb.

And then I was wiped. Totally, totally wiped. :smile:
  • jstout365
    Options
    That is awesome!! I'm going to have to check into the financial aspect cause I still lift in my Nikes and quite frankly have no desire to purchase all this equipment, plus pay sign-up fees, when I'm trying to get a company off the ground and have other obligations coming up.

Not trying to make excuses (okay, maybe just a little :blushing:), but there is a financial consideration involved that I'm going to have to seriously mull over. If they'd let me lift in my Nikes with my tanktop and shorts, I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about it. Getting serious about competition is an investment. And well, I'm a cheap skate, so there you go. Signing up for something 3 hours away would be out of the question, so hey, mad props to you!! :drinker:

The financial aspect is a big one. Especially if it isn't something you think you would do more than once. Oh...and according to the regs for USAPL meets, no tank tops! Must have sleeves no longer than the elbow and no shorter than the deltoid. The rules even go into how the stitching of the material is done. I don't know what other associations have for clothing requirements.

3 hours is a bit of a drive, but I'm smack in the middle of PA so pretty much anything that is not involved with the university is a drive for me. I figure my next step will be to try and catch that PL coach in the gym and to email the University PL club contact to see if there are any meets a little more local to me. I would like to try my hand at a competition, but I would like to get some ducks in a row before I start laying out the money to do this in August. If I can get it sorted by July 10th, then I will give it a go.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Wow--so impressed with those looking into/starting to compete. Also, I looked up pistol squats on YouTube and I was like :noway:

Yesterday was a B day for me:
    Squats: 80 (5x5)
    OHP: 40 (5 x 5)
    Deadlift 70 (1 x 5)--I sense that I could probably go higher but I want to get my technique down first.

On a separate note, my sister--who is an NFL cheerleader--came to help celebrate my birthday week before last and we were talking about workouts so I told her what I was doing for SL 5x5. She said "that sounds like our lifting workout." So net/net--at least one NFL cheerleading squad is doing the same thing as us!
  • DaniH826
    Options
    3 hours is a bit of a drive, but I'm smack in the middle of PA so pretty much anything that is not involved with the university is a drive for me. I figure my next step will be to try and catch that PL coach in the gym and to email the University PL club contact to see if there are any meets a little more local to me. I would like to try my hand at a competition, but I would like to get some ducks in a row before I start laying out the money to do this in August. If I can get it sorted by July 10th, then I will give it a go.

Is the university's lifting team only for students? There's some out there that let non-students join. Maybe check into that, if you haven't already, and make it a team sport?
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hello pretty, strong ladies! That's pretty and strong, not pretty strong. :happy:

Awesome workout for me today, which is odd, because B is not my favorite.

Squat 70# 5x5
    OHP 45# 5x5 I've done this twice now, so it's not a fluke. YAY!
    DL 1x5 65 95 115

Hope everyone's having an super day, and for those of you thinking of competing, you all are bada$$. :drinker:
  • jstout365
    Options
    Is the university's lifting team only for students? There's some out there that let non-students join. Maybe check into that, if you haven't already, and make it a team sport?

The club website states "for students and faculty," but I am an alumna so they may be able to let me join. It is only a club sport so there would be a chance. If it was an NCAA team I know I wouldn't be eligible. I think there are some groups in the area not affiliated with the university that I can look into, but I will have to catch up with the guy from the gym again to find out about those.

ETA: I checked the club site again and it is open to community members as well!!!! ROCK ON! So, Dani, yes, I will be doing it as a team sport!