June check in and chat:June-o mess with these chicks

Options

Replies

• grandmoo
    grandmoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just reporting in:

Warmed up for squats thusly: 2 x 5 @ 45 lbs, 1 x 3 @ 65 lbs, 1 x 2 @85 lbs, then
    Squats - 100 lbs 5 x 5.

Warmed up for OHP with fixed weight bars (much shorter): 2 x 5 @ 15 lbs (don't laugh), 1 x 3 @ 25 lbs, 1 x 2 @35 lbs then
    OHP - 45 lbs (oly bar) 5 x 5. Almost didn't make the first full set, but the following 4 sets were oddly enough, easier.

Didn't warm up for deadlift as I was already *rather* warm - lol.
    Deadlift - 110 lbs 1 x 5

Next time on OHP I'll add my teeny tiny 1/4-lb to each end for a whopping addition of 1/2-lb. I've OHP'd at 45 five times now and since my fractional plates finally came in I've no excuse not to up the weight. Maybe. That freaking bar is so awkward for me. Not sure whether or not I should continue with just the bar until it becomes less of a struggle, or forge ahead and see what happens.

And Jimeny Christmas, I feel like I've turned into Hungry Hungry Hippo. I eat low carb (have for over a year with NO cheats) and the great thing about that is/was the decreased hunger. Haha, not anymore. So I eat more, without guilt or shame. :-)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Was going to do fractionals on squats but changed my mind, got to 50kg and did 566 instead and will work up that way. Of course I only thought of it after my first set, which was going to be a warm up for 55 lol... Anyway amazing how much harder that extra rep is!

Bench I finally broke out the fractionals. One bag in my ankle weight thingies which I think adds to about 700g including the housing so Approx 33.5kgs was fine but I'm very aware of my form flaws so trying to remember to use my legs!
    pendlay 40kg 555 all good and felt strong :-) just the HIIT on the bike after, I'm so sore from yesterday's little circuit at home, lots of pressures!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    ETA: I checked the club site again and it is open to community members as well!!!! ROCK ON! So, Dani, yes, I will be doing it as a team sport!

Awesome! I'm really excited for you !!! I know you're going to have a blast and lift all the things and go to the Olympics and break world records and carry cars around and stuff. Go you! :drinker:
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Go ladies! these no's are rocking and I so wish I could fly across this big pond - make a banner and scream and shout and cheer yous on - go go, heavy lifting competitors!!! absolutely amazing and in awe of yous.

Well this morning workout b - end of week 4

squat 35kg 5 x 5 (77lbs)
    ohp - crap, crap form, tweaked my neck and had to deload (shame shame) so 2x 4 @ 17.5 (38.5lbs), 3@ 17.5 (38.5lbs) (I wiggled nad wobbled and was crap!!) 2x 5@ 15 (33lbs) - so back to 15kg (33lbs) for next time till I sort my form out
    deadlift 35kg 5x4 (77lbs)

3 x 30sec prone planks, 5 x chin ups, 40 air squats

sooooo loving squats/ deadlifts sooooo hating ohp - away to watch videos again
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    oh Daisy I hear you - check out the video recently posted in the helpful videos section about the hip wiggle. I haven't got this sorted out yet but I think it will make a difference!
  • inkysmurf
    Options
    Cheers lwoodroff! on it now :-)

been so excited about going up and up in weight and then doh! fail.
  • inkysmurf
    Options
    Well what difference in my OHP just from watching a youtube clip.

so just managed 3x5 @17.5kg(38lbs) so workout b completed "properly" - phew that was driving me mad.
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Still got a groin injury, so sticking with OHP and bench press with barbells. Moved up to 18kg on the barbells, so I'm happy about that! Not too down about it as I'm very lower body strength heavy anyway. Might be good to give my upper body a chance to catch up!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Workout B and bumped the weights up a little. Except OHP.

Squats: 150lbs 3x5---These felt amazing.
    OHP: 65lb 3x5
    Deadlifts: 180lbs 1x5----I didn't know if I was going to hit the last rep. My grip is rather pathetic.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    CC your squats are incredible!! I'm looking forward to being able to do 60kg at some point..
  • inkysmurf
    Options
    with you on that one lwoodroff - bring on the 60kg squating power and I also bow down to cc's OHP!! go girl x
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Did Workout B today and meant to scale back on weights (I am in training for a 5 day cycling tour of the Finger Lakes next month and need to conserve energy for that) but ended up increasing on the OHP and DL. Need to bring notes so I know where I'm at, LOL.

Squats 100# (down 5# from last week)

OHP 45# (up 4#)

Deadlifts 115# (up 5#)

If anyone has any training tips for a 5-day cycling trip covering 300-400 miles let me know. I'm just kinda winging it. Currently take 3-4 spinning classes per week and ride on the road twice. Tomorrow I'm doing a 38 mile trip and plan to do the same again on Sunday.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    kitkat - no tips, but that sounds like an awesome trip!

B day, still working up from my deload - astonished at how much strength I seem to have lost.

Squats
    3x5 @145

OHP
    2x5 @75, 1x4 @75 Should have rested longer, I could have nailed it. Next time.

Deadlift
    1x5 @185

Lat pulldowns on the double pulley - harder than the single for some reason
    3x8 @35

Back extensions/leg lifts 3x10 superset

Pushups 3x10/Pallof press 3x10/Baby pullups 5x1 superset

Again, wiped out - but enjoying this superset business. And - GASP - I saw a guy squatting ATG with 185 on the bar - he looked so good form-wise (and in other ways, but I'm a happily married lady :smile: ) I had to tell him. Turned out he wasn't sure how low he was getting, so appreciated the comment.

Have a great weekend, all!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Kira - Awesome work!

Kitkat - My only training advice would be to get the bottom ready for sitting on that seat.

So...I found out from the University club contact person that community members are no longer allowed to participate with the clubs. That means I won't be competing with a team unless I can find another one in town. But, the girl did say that she would try and help me get started. The club puts on an open meet in November. Since it is in my town and it gives me some prep time to focus on increasing my lifts, I think it would be the better first meet for me. I will probably be able to meet other people from the community and get linked up with another group. With that said, it is time to start training in earnest for November.

I'm shooting for the following training goals in the next 4 months:

Bench 150 lbs 1x5 (current PR 1x5 @ 125)
    Squat 185 lbs 1x5 (current PR 1x5 @ 150)
    Deadlift 260 lbs (2x body weight) 1x5 (current PR 1x5 @ 200)

I deloaded a few weeks ago and am getting back to the higher weights, but I am considering adjusting things to give me two DL and two Bench press days a week along with my other accessory work. I'll stay at 3x week Squats with one heavy day, and two lighter days with the pause and pulse variations. If I'm going for it I might as well give it all I got.

Today was a more traditional B day:

Front squat 1x5 @ 80, 85, 90 with a 3 second pause at the bottom.
    OHP @ 80 lbs 4,5,4 - 80 kicked my butt before the deload, but wow, today it just wasn't there. So repeat next week @ 80 3x5
    Dead 1x5 @ 135, 155, 175 - I decided to deload again since I my knees were caving in at 185+ lifts. 175 felt better, but I'm going to have to start really focusing on these.

I finished up with 3 rounds of my barbell finisher @ 35 lbs. So that is 8 reps of each: upright rows, overhead squat, good mornings, lunges (each leg), push presses, cleans, front squats. I gave myself 1 min between sets.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    @kirabob, fantastic numbers. In fact, those numbers boggle my mind! Who knows, one day I may be lifting that heavy.

There was a wisp of a young woman in the gym today doing 150# barbell squats. She is about 5' tall and doesn't weigh more than 105-110 pounds. However, she did not get thighs to parallel. But she gave it a good go. Made me want to just walk over there to see if I could get the bar off the rack much less do a squat. I kept my cool. Didn't want to embarrass myself, LOL.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I finished up with 3 rounds of my barbell finisher @ 35 lbs. So that is 8 reps of each: upright rows, overhead squat, good mornings, lunges (each leg), push presses, cleans, front squats. I gave myself 1 min between sets.

^^WOW--that is tough after the heavy lifts!

Great lifts, Kira!

Kitkat - a friend of mine just did an Ironman distance triathlon, which includes a 100 mile bike ride. To train for that, she just rides and rides. She brings all kinds of treats to eat along the way. Oreos, snickers bars, luna bars; just about anything she likes to keep her energy up. I'm guessing that you'd get some nice breaks and wouldn't be going 100 straight? If you're going 75-100 miles in a day, that would still be about 4-6 hours. Just keep taking rides on different types of terrain and get used to being in the seat :)

Today, workout B -3x5 cuz I wasn't feeling that energized -
    Squats 3x5@160 - form feels good, but I don't think I can increase from here right now. I think I'll deload to 145 next week and work my way up.
    OHP 1x5@80 & 85, 1x4@90 - still stalled at 90.
    DL - 1x5@200 - same as squats - feels good, but too heavy to add. Probably deload to 185.

Then a couple sets of bicep curls with the bar and 3 unassisted pullups. My finisher seems so wimpy compared to Jstout's!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Cleo - ALL of our finishers are wimpy compared to jstouts! :smile: Have you thought about going to 3x5 for good? You are in a weight range where taking some of work away might help you push through some of those stalls. . . just a thought.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Kira: Love your new workout. I may steal stuff from it.

Jstout: Your bench is phenomenal. Wow!

kitkat: That is an incredible goal.

Cleotherio: You're making me believe I will get past 70 on the OHP. Your numbers are great :)

My first workout after taking a week off with these darn hip flexor issues. This puts me at week 12.
    Squat: 185 3x5
    Bench 95 (fail 5/3/2)
    Row 110 3x5 (will likely hang out here until I like my form again)

My new squat plan: BW 2x5, 95 2x5, 135 2x5, 165 2x5 & 185 3x5 seemed to work well today. I'm still a bit stiff, but no pain. YAY! :happy:
    Having some dumb issue with my left wrist and shoulder. I think that's why I failed that 95. Ah well, I'll nail it next time for sure. I see the chiro Monday, hope she has some insight. She's already helped me tremendously.

Good to see all your awesome workouts! Inspiring :)
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are super inspiring!! They look like huge numbers! It's seems cray cray to think I could ever lift that heavy... But if you can do it, so can I (I hope!)...
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are super inspiring!! They look like huge numbers! It's seems cray cray to think I could ever lift that heavy... But if you can do it, so can I (I hope!)...

Absolutely you can! Just be as awesome as you can be! Keep working at it and you will get there!

cpiton - Thanks! I like your squat #'s :flowerforyou:

Kira and Cleo - I blame Vegas :drinker: for giving me the barbell finisher idea :laugh: It is easier for me to go with more accessory work to finish with because I most often have a different main lift split than the standard A/B workouts. Today was just a "cram two missed days into one" kind of day.