Equipment for Home Gym?

Options
mphillip6
mphillip6 Posts: 28 Member
Hi guys! I want to start lifting weights to add to my cardio (and maybe one day get to the point where I can lift heavy), but I don't have enough money to pay for a monthly gym membership to use their machines. Are there any suggestions for the type of equipment that I could buy to get good workouts at home, but won't cost more than I can handle?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing the replies here as I'm in the same boat! I keep hearing about "Stronglifts program" and looking online at "power cages" and "olympic barbell sets" but its rather intimidating as I have no one offline around who knows anything about such things.

Meantime I just started doing Nerdfitness beginner bodyweight workout:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

It made me very sore, so I imagine that means it's working for now LOL!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    i started with a set of adjustable dumbells (10-60lbs)and a bench...With a few assorted smaller dumbells...I've added a set of kettlebells because I like kettlebell workouts....

DVD wise I have Chalean Xtreme, P90X, Cathe Friederichs and a few Jillian Michaels that I started with.

I would love to get a barbell set and a squat rack - squats with more than 60lbs in dumbells on my shoulders is getting an issue - and as I don't have a spotter I would need a rack...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Door frame pull-up bar, where you can also put it at arm length from floor for flat pull-ups for upper back, and dips at waist height.

Then all those great body-weight exercises. As long you as you are in the below 20 rep range, and 2-5 sets to almost failure of good form, it's heavy for you.
  • mphillip6
    mphillip6 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I will definitely give it all a try!
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of exercises you can do with just your own body weight. Push ups, lunges, squats, etc... Google body weight exercises or convict conditioning and you'll find lot of resources.

If you have $10.00 a month to spend, look and see if there is a Crunch or YouFit in your area. The Crunch I go to is fabulous and definitely worth 10 bucks a month.

Also check to see if you have a used sporting goods store in your area or watch the ads on Craig's list. I bought a used weight bench that had hardly been used from Play It Again Sports. I wouldn't recommend investing in dumbbells you'll quickly out grow. Instead buy one's that use interchangeable plates. And buy a barbell at the same time. As you get stronger, you just buy more weight plates. You should be able to find used one's fairly inexpensively.

Good luck!