Geek Dating?

Options
13»

Replies

• Stefie_G
    Stefie_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    "Nice" is NEVER the reason women decide you're not a great bet for a romantic partner. You might need to do some serious evaluation about your actions and attitudes.

Many of the traits that make people "nerds" are very attractive to a lot of women. Intelligence, curiosity, the ability to develop skills and have interesting things to say, for example.

Agreed! I have never friend zoned a guy for being too nice, but have been accused of doing so on a few occasions.
  • NordicLifter78
    NordicLifter78 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's so difficult to come out of your shell I find when you're a "geek" , it's partly my fault for not being more outgoing of course but I keep thinking that someone's out there for me :)
  • Desalinadokaz
    Desalinadokaz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's so difficult to come out of your shell I find when you're a "geek" , it's partly my fault for not being more outgoing of course but I keep thinking that someone's out there for me :)

I don't think it is your 'fault'. You can't help who you are :smile: I agree that it's about getting out there, sharing hobbies and seeing what's what. The biggest turn off (for me) is desperation, where you get the feeling that any girl will do. I think it's about getting to know the person and connecting that way.

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    eraser51 wrote: »
    I am usually "too nice" to be boyfriend stuff and get dumped in the friendzone :/

Other people have covered this well. Don't be a doormat, and don't put women on a pedestal. They're people. You can get into some weird problems with esteem issues and whatnot, on this road. Always look out for yourself, and the people around you too. Dating should be a "win-win" situation.
    Also where do you meet gamer girls!?

Mostly wanted to post to address this. IMO, it's not the similarity in hobbies that makes for a good relationship. Other personality traits and actions are way more important, like the partners being supportive of each other.
    I've dated a few "gamer girls" and the relationships with the non-geeky girls were much, much happier because of these better personality traits. Not to say that gamers are inherently defective or anything; my point is that personality traits are a much more useful thing to keep in mind. It's nice to share hobbies, but I'd rather have gaming time be something I do without my partner and be happy the other 90% of the day.

This is a really good article, I think, which explains a lot of research into this:
    learning-mind.com/psychology-finally-reveals-the-answer-to-finding-your-soulmate/
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I've dated a few "gamer girls" and the relationships with the non-geeky girls were much, much happier because of these better personality traits. Not to say that gamers are inherently defective or anything; my point is that personality traits are a much more useful thing to keep in mind. It's nice to share hobbies, but I'd rather have gaming time be something I do without my partner and be happy the other 90% of the day.

Personality is always important. Character is always important. But a lot of non-gamer girls can be quite intolerant of what can be a quite serious hobby, in both time & money investment.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options

Personality is always important. Character is always important. But a lot of non-gamer girls can be quite intolerant of what can be a quite serious hobby, in both time & money investment.

I agree, on my Mommy board I see women complaining every day about their partners playing video games, and how silly they think it is that they spend their free time and money on a "kid's activity". My husband and I understand each other if the dishes don't get washed or something because a new patch just dropped - makes for a happier marriage, lol!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I agree, on my Mommy board I see women complaining every day about their partners playing video games, and how silly they think it is that they spend their free time and money on a "kid's activity". My husband and I understand each other if the dishes don't get washed or something because a new patch just dropped - makes for a happier marriage, lol!

Seconded. Although it can still be aggravating sometimes, lol. We're both gamers but I've 'grown up' and take care of chores first. He hasn't (and we're not playing MMOs anymore so really, there's that thing called 'pause').
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

True, yeah. I've heard of that but never experienced it personally. I'd consider that intolerance a personality flaw though, and wouldn't proceed.

Edit: maybe I should clarify, and say I wouldn't encourage dating anyone who is "uncool," ha. That's a broader range. Partners should let each other do their things without a hassle.
  • RougeSara
    RougeSara Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've always found my BF's offline because they're the ones I've shared the most interests with. I met my husband on the ancient MMO Ultima Online 5 years ago. I ended up having to go through a long visa process and moving from England to the USA but its totally worth it. Try MMO's but be careful of course..cat fishing is easy, always make sure to video chat and stuff.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Best advice I can give is to make sure you truly love yourself and enjoy being alone with yourself before you even attempt to bring someone into your life.
    ^^ Love this!

I used to crush on people based on my fantasy of what they were like (behaviors not looks). Figured out that since I liked those characteristics, why not develop them myself? Now I like myself :laugh: and so does my DH of 25yr.

There are people who may not be considered "physically" attractive - but who, due to their personality (kind, wise, generous, brilliant, funny, gentle, loving, adventurous, intelligent, enlightened, entertaining, uplifting, etc etc etc) are actually very attractive. We can develop those characteristics. A big first step for me was listening to others and thinking less about myself.
  • alien_type0
    alien_type0 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    TheGoktor wrote: »
    ^^ This.

There's no such thing as the friendzone, it's just something some butthurt guys made up to keep them from facing the fact that there are girls who don't find them sexually attractive.

Fact of life - someone either wants to have an intimate relationship with a person or they don't. There is no obligation to jump into bed with someone simply because you get on well and have shared interests. Why do people seem to think there is?

It's rather naive to assume that because you (think you) are a reasonable human being, people who like the same things as you should want to date you. It doesn't work like that. And actually, in my experience, people who claim they can't get a date because they are 'too nice' are generally not reasonable human beings - they're usually people who get butthurt and whiny whenever they can't get their own way.

Don't be one of those people - take note of the advice given here, especially by @MikaMojito :smiley:

Thaaaaaaaaaank you.
  • alien_type0
    alien_type0 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately meet most gamers online, rarely through mutual friends. Personally, I'd love if there was some secret hangout all gamers and geeks hang out but I don't play magic and conventions are too seldom...

Honestly, most guy gamers I've known personally have been barred from my life for the "friend zone" battle. If you can't respect a woman enough to grasp the concept of "she doesn't owe you sex for you being a good friend" then you're a *kitten* human being who doesn't deserve the "grace" of my company.

P.S. My hubby is actually the opposite of a geek, he's actually kind of a jock (god am I still in high school?) our relationship works better than my more common interest relationships because we are so different. It has a certain kind of romance where he tries to play my games just to be able to relate. It's like trying to teach someone how to use the internet but more adorable.
  • orochiwarrior
    orochiwarrior Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Mostly wanted to post to address this. IMO, it's not the similarity in hobbies that makes for a good relationship. Other personality traits and actions are way more important, like the partners being supportive of each other.

This is a really good article, I think, which explains a lot of research into this:
    learning-mind.com/psychology-finally-reveals-the-answer-to-finding-your-soulmate/

I feel this is true. When I first met my now husband ( we met on a dating site )he wasn't that much of a gamer where I have been for years. He does play games more now but we have different tastes in games and hardly play games together. I fell for him as a person, not because he is a fellow gamer
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options

It took me years to embrace my "geek" as openly as I do now. I'm a bit of a chameleon; I can blend in pretty well with many types of people so I would often hide my love of geeky things in fear of being judged. But as I get older the more I realize how stupid that is; people should like you for who you are, period.

I think my problem is that I tend to be attracted to more the "corporate jock" type but I adore geekiness and it's harder to find that combination. I'm also probably entirely too picky and need to work on that.