Friday is a killer for me.

Options
Rena42
Rena42 Posts: 66 Member
I find Shabbat so much easier than Friday - IE - preparing for Shabbat. I need to taste everything I make, even if I don't plan on eating it at the meal. How do other people cope with it? What do you write on your food diary?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    The time or 2 that I actually logged Fridays, I was so over calories, that 2 friends dropped me.
  • Rena42
    Options
    That's horrible - people un-friend you if you have a bad day? Who needs them!
  • hipop61
    hipop61 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Idon't taste everything, just hope for the bes t:)
  • hipop61
    hipop61 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Its more difficult on summer Fridays in the UK as at this time of year we don't eat till around 11pm:ohwell:
  • shosh413
    shosh413 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If your really eating enough for a meal then maybe don't eat lunch? I would only suggest not eating lunch if ur not tempted to snack later on account that your probably hungry because you didn't eat lunch...

Whenever i taste something i always estimate it- my problem is cake batter- lol i end up logging that i ate a cookie or something.. always estimate
  • Flmommy1
    Flmommy1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Ya too bad if you type in "2 bites chocolate cake" nothing comes up
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    you can put it in
  • Rena42
    Options
    I stopped eating lunch on Friday's a while back.I can be really annoying to watch my family chow down at the kitchen table while I'm cooking dinner. I don't think that I eat very much of what I'm making, but it all adds up. I'm still not quite sure how to track it all.

I try to plan out what I'm going to eat before Shabbat and I try to stick to it. Why does Shabbat food need to be so many calories? Challah alone is a huge chunk. I find myself having less than a slice with every meal. What are other people making that isn't crazy high in calories?
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    You have to eat a certain amount of challah to wash and bentch. Maybe weigh it before Shabbos.

I make a lot of vegetables instead of kugel and lay off the mayonaisey foods. I also don't make desserts.
  • kugelette
    kugelette Posts: 25
    Options
    I stopped eating lunch on Friday's a while back.I can be really annoying to watch my family chow down at the kitchen table while I'm cooking dinner. I don't think that I eat very much of what I'm making, but it all adds up. I'm still not quite sure how to track it all.

I try to plan out what I'm going to eat before Shabbat and I try to stick to it. Why does Shabbat food need to be so many calories? Challah alone is a huge chunk. I find myself having less than a slice with every meal. What are other people making that isn't crazy high in calories?

Shabbos food doesn't have to be high in calories or inherently unhealthy. Go with regular chicken breast instead of shnitzel, roast veggies for sides, skip the dips for challah and go whole wheat (that alone is enough to discourage me from eating much challah :D ), make your own kishke (I use ground oats and carrots as the base of mine - it is yummy and much healthier than the flour-and-oil packaged kishkes), and shred a couple zucchini into your potato kugel. Opt for small pieces of whole fish over gefilte, have crudite on the table, make fruit salad without sugar instead of compote, and add salad. Make chicken soup with skinless chicken and skim it for fat, then add in lots of nutritious veggies near the end (and skip the soup mandel). There are a LOT of options for healthy shabbos foods, you just have to think about what your family likes to eat and write down ideas.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Kugelette, you're back! You were gone so long I gave up & Defriended you!
  • kugelette
    kugelette Posts: 25
    Options
    Ha, yeah. Gonna get back into the swing with a vengeance. :)
  • sarah6336
    sarah6336 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just snack throughout the day on Friday. It is tough, because Friday night is such a heavy meal. I still make kugels, and eat two slices of challah at each meal. I watch portion sizes of what I eat, and make everything from scratch. I found a challah recipe where two slices are 130 calories. I estimate caloies and just eat how much makes sense depending on how many calories I have. When I'm a guest, I just try to watch portion size. At home, I use a salad plate to eat off of for most meals.
  • Rena42
    Options
    I like the salad plate idea. I'm going to have to try it.

I make everything from scratch too. My challah is 70% whole wheat and doesn't have any eggs or sugar in it. I use 1/2 date honey to sweeten it. It's about 1kg flour for 2 medium challahs plus 3 rolls. I have no ideas how many calories it is. How do you figure that out?

Just talking about it has made me better and helped me what what I eat on Friday.
  • Michal833
    Michal833 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Do you know how to enter recipes on MFP? You go to recipes and enter each ingredient and how many servings and it will calculate the calories per serving. With Challah it can be tricky because how do you figure out how many servings if you make several challahs, all different sizes like I do and who counts the slices?