Non-dairy, no caffeine recovery drink suggestions

Options
Like many, my go-to recovery drink is chocolate milk. Unfortunately for my wife, dairy and caffeine are both migraine triggers.

Any suggestions for recovery foods/drinks? Currently she'll have something like a ham sandwich for the protein/carb combo, but she doesn't have much appetite after working out so a drink would be better.

Don't worry about trying to avoid other migraine triggers. Just make some suggestions that would be good for recovery, and we'll do due diligence on the migraine stuff.

Replies

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Coconut water. Good amounts of potassium in that stuff.
    Or, one of those non-dairy protein powders mixed with something like coconut water or fluid of choice.
    Oh, did I mention coconut water? :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How about soy or almond milk? They also come in chocolate and vanilla (and other) varieties.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Has she tried any of those vegan protein powders? I think it's pea protein or something like that.....with banana and water might do the trick?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Equate, Boost, Ensure nutritional drinks.
    They have items from milk but usually not milk totally, like the whey protein, so it depends on what part of milk she's allergic to.

And if this is post recovery for intense cardio and needing those carbs, those all have 4:1 ratios of carbs:protein for the non-high protein version (which probably has more whey protein in it too).