Gastroenteritis

While I have lost 6.2 lbs in 48 hrs (yeah, I'm magic) due to the wonders of only eating 700ish calories Saturday (most of which came violently out one end of the other, oh and also out my nose) and drinking 38 calories yesterday and 20 today (chicken stock and low or no sugar sports drinks plus as much water as I can handle). I am however, still experiencing diarrhea and have realized the drawback to keto when suffering gastrointestinal distress: nothing I would normally eat in any way sounds like a good freaking idea. The very thought of something fatty right now makes my guts scream at me (did I mention the god-awful cramping?) So, advice? The only thing I have come up with so far is cooking/shredding some chicken into my broth, which would probably be tolerable and at least give me some protein.

Ideas welcome.

Oh and to top it off, I have required clinicals tomorrow (and the day after) at a psychiatric hospital. These are usually on lock down and don't have the quickest/easiest restroom access for students. Immodium, you'd better damn well work!

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    So, advice? The only thing I have come up with so far is cooking/shredding some chicken into my broth, which would probably be tolerable and at least give me some protein.
    Ideas welcome.

So sorry to hear about the stomach bug, Nic. I do have to agree that's one of the hardest things to try to deal with when Keto-ing. :-(

I'd go w/ bland chicken or very basic scrambled eggs. Shredded chicken in broth is a good idea, or egg drop soup, which is easy to make and should be tolerated well. Sugar free jello w/ just a touch of cream? I don't know if you're into the "muffin in a minute" idea, but I make mine savory w/ some sunflower seeds thrown in, and I've discovered it's pretty tasty if you cut it into little slices or cubes after microwaving, and then brown it in some butter, stirring while cooking. Changes the texture and makes it taste less card-boardy, but the flax meal required in the recipe may add to your troubles more than help.

Not necessarily recommending this idea, but I have been known to just say, "higher carb day, it is!" and make a little bowl of instant mashed potatoes or brown rice with butter to get me through. Keto is the goal, but feeding a distressed tummy trumps that, IMO. Think of it as a necessary "carb cycle," and get back on the WOE immediately as your stomach tolerates it. ;-)

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    I ended up eating the odds and ends of the family's meal as impromptu chicken soup: 55g pan-seared chicken and 21g green beans in a cup of chicken broth, heh. Wasn't bad, but my stomach is now full and deciding whether to stage a riot. The sugar free jello isn't a bad idea, just too late in the day now to make it I think.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Sugar free jello kept in a thermos as a liquid. Gotta have it really hot for it to stay that way. BUT it's gotten 3 friends through the god awful winter flu and vet school clinicals. Stays liquid drinkable for hours if done right, and if you have a small thermos and take small sips itll fit in the pocket of your scrubs or coat. ;)
  • Lil14U
    Lil14U Posts: 40 Member
    Nuts if your not allergic to them have high energy and low to moderate carbs
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    While I have lost 6.2 lbs in 48 hrs (yeah, I'm magic) due to the wonders of only eating 700ish calories Saturday (most of which came violently out one end of the other, oh and also out my nose) and drinking 38 calories yesterday and 20 today (chicken stock and low or no sugar sports drinks plus as much water as I can handle). I am however, still experiencing diarrhea and have realized the drawback to keto when suffering gastrointestinal distress: nothing I would normally eat in any way sounds like a good freaking idea. The very thought of something fatty right now makes my guts scream at me (did I mention the god-awful cramping?) So, advice? The only thing I have come up with so far is cooking/shredding some chicken into my broth, which would probably be tolerable and at least give me some protein.

Ideas welcome.

Oh and to top it off, I have required clinicals tomorrow (and the day after) at a psychiatric hospital. These are usually on lock down and don't have the quickest/easiest restroom access for students. Immodium, you'd better damn well work!

Nic, are you doing any better today?

Dan the Man from Michigan

• zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    I've done egg drop soup (essentially chicken in broth and I stir in scrambled egg while it's boiling)...extra ginger added really helps settle the gut. And diet ginger ale.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    DittoDan wrote: »

Ideas welcome.

Nic, are you doing any better today?

Dan the Man from Michigan

I seem to be mostly back to normal today. At any rate, the 4 eggs and steak I ate today are settled fine.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Oh this is great news. So glad it has finally passed.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Oh this is great news. So glad it has finally passed.

sadly my 14yo daughter is now suffering it... and she can't afford to lose much weight (unlike me)
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Aw I am so sorry for both of you. I hope she kicks it off quickly.