Exercise routines

Options
I was wondering, thyroid buddies, what your favourite workout routines are? Anything that works particularly good for you? What do you do to combat stress? Please share.
My routine is:
1. commuting to work on my bike ( about 15 km / day on workdays )
2. a 30 - 45 mins workout in the evening ( DVDs, think Jillian Michaels or a kettlebell workout or an interval training using dumbbells ( 3-5 kg )) 6 days / week
3. making sure I average 10k steps / day
When I get "thyroid-tired" I do yoga or pilates in the evening.
I like my routine but it is not particularly effective - my legs are fairly muscular but I still have about 25% BF and a belly pouch ( not to mention not losing weight ), so I am looking for some new ideas / tips. Thanks!

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    For me, the two things I do consistently are:
    1) Lift heavy 3x per week (barbell exercises: squats, deadlifts, etc. -- Starting Strength style). Every 6-8 weeks, I'll usually take a rest week because I'll start to feel run down and just walk/hike or do yoga.
    2) LOTS of walking. I've got a treadmill desk at work and I routinely walk 6-8 miles per day on it. So over the week, I'm doing at least 30-40 miles of slow walking (1.8 mph pace)

Occasionally I'll also do:
    1) HIIT work outs -- like hill sprints -- I'd like to do these once per week, but haven't been very consistent
    2) hot/Bikram yoga -- I like it a lot, but am not terribly consistent with it either.
  • rvan73
    rvan73 Posts: 1
    Options
    The two things I do consistently are walking and yoga, as they're the two I can still do even when in the midst of a thyroid funk &/or inflammation flare up and feeling completely raggedy. They also cover the the main workout priorities for me, health-wise: cardio, strength, flexibility, and balance.

In good weather, I strive to incorporate running 1-3 times a week. I also do some Tai Chi - which is especially good when feeling run down, stressed out, or generally out of sorts.

• irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Mondays - Zumba class
    Wednesdays - swim (less lately with the blizzards)
    Fridays - Kickboxing class
    Saturdays - Kickboxing & Circuit Training class

I find all of them combat stress, because they keep me focused and expend lots of energy. And I have lost all the weight I wanted, but I still have a little belly pooch. :wink: :blush: We even do plenty of crunches with dumbbells and abdominal leg lifts in the Saturday class. I care, but not enough to do more about it.