What are your obstacles, and how are you approaching them?

ScrAgnX
ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
My biggest obstacle since January 2012 has been a long commute. I spend 3+ hours every weekday and ~¼ of the Saturdays driving to and from a 10+ hours a day job. As a result, the last three years I've lamented the fact that I am tired a lot, that I don't have time to exercise, and that the convenience types of food are making me fat.

Not any more.

In 2011 I lost 70 lbs. by sticking with a diet plan and tracking on another site, with minimal exercise. I've gained it all back and then some because I've pitied myself for the long commute, and lived with it long enough to forget that I'm in control of my own life and decisions. So now I'm here on MFP.

To make the change that I want to see in myself I'm going to (and have been for the last month):
  • Wake up earlier so that I can get home from work earlier in the day.
  • Track all of my calories consumed, and exercise activities using Garmin Connect & MFP.
  • Eat the same general foods and quantities for all meals except dinner; this will help remove the stress of picking meals and tracking calories.
  • Prepare dinners for the week on Saturday and Sunday; this will help remove the stress of picking and making meals during the week.
  • Walk the dogs with my wife nightly for ~30 minutes.
  • Begin a cycling training program, and build up my endurance (and tolerance for sitting on a bike seat). Eventually working to ~1 hour 3 weeknights a week; this is a large time commitment for me, but I'm wanting to complete a 100km ride in October.
  • Take things slow and steady and add the items above one at a time to keep from feeling overwhelmed.

I've found the transition to be easier for me this time (and less of my goals to be dropped off this time) by adding just one item, then letting it set for a few weeks. I started counting calories and walking occasional days just after Christmas, and I added the cycling a few weeks later and increased the amount of days that we are walking.

In all I've had more energy the last few weeks, and am excited about the opportunities ahead. I just have to avoid slipping back to the convenience food (McDonald's, microwave dinners, boxed meals, etc.), and continue keeping track of my calorie intake and burn.

What do you foresee as your biggest obstacle, and how do you plan on approaching it?

Replies

• zilannoj
    zilannoj Posts: 138 Member
    I really identify with taking things slow and steady. Sometimes I tend to overwhelm myself with too many goals, and that tends to derail my progress. Planning ahead, while tedious at first, is so worth it. Once I started meal prepping every week, I no longer had an excuse to order pizza or walk around the block to Subway. And I'm saving so much money.

For me, my biggest obstacle is me. I have no difficulty with logging food or exercising. In my current position, my co-workers and supervisors are very understanding if I need extra time to exercise during lunch or need a day off if I'm in a lot of back pain (which happens frequently). My problem is me, and I never realized that until recently. I thought I just needed better goals or to change everything about my life. Nope, I just needed to get out of my way. How I'm approaching this obstacle:
    • I write. A lot. Most of this journey is mental, and I think it's important to understand myself.
    • On days where I feel my motivation completely failing me, I do it anyway. It's not easy, but it helps when I remember when I couldn't do all the amazing things I'm doing today. I want to make myself proud.
    • I recognize when I'm being negative and change it. This is really difficult. It's hard stopping when you feel like you're about to binge or skip a workout but when I do, it's such an amazing feeling changing it before it's too late.
    • I celebrate every little victory. Even if it's just staying under my calorie goal or walking another mile. I stop looking at how far I have to go and appreciate how far I've come.