what to do when still hungry and out of calories

Options
2»

Replies

• jazzyjez
    jazzyjez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Rebeccamom wrote: »
    Hot tea (flavors like peppermint) helps me! It makes me feel like I'm getting something hot in me. I don't add sugar or cream, so it's 0 calories.

Rebecca

Me too. Decaffeinated. I really like fruit teas (no sugar added of course - I see so many in the store now that have sweetener additives?) and Traditional Medicinals Throat Coat.

The real trick for me, though, has been avoiding being hungry by choosing low glycemic foods - foods that will keep me satiated for longer.
  • WVMountainMamma
    WVMountainMamma Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Maybe work on spacing your meals. Low carb at dinner. I drink a GIANT mug of hot tea around 7 to 8. Try flavors that have a comfort feel to your taste buds...not just any tea. I put about a teaspoon of Splenda to make sure there is no bitterness. Plus it's a good boost if you have trouble meeting your water intake.
    Also plan the day before and allow you self maybe 100 of your calories for a late snack.
  • gidget415
    Options
    I would eat an apple, some celery sticks or cucumber slices. Cut them into pieces so you chew more and it will be more filling.
  • azneee
    azneee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Afte reading about the "hunger hormone" ghrelin awhile ago, I started eating a high protein breakfast (about 30-35 grams). I found that my evening cravings dissapeared with this change! I no longer had to fight for self-control over late in the day snacking.

Too over simplify it, ghrelin is released throughout the day to tell your brain to consume calories. I saw a study that showed if you consume only carbs for breakfast or didn't eat a breakfast at all, ghrelin levels rise, causing cravings for especially fatty and high-caloric foods later in the day. The study showed lower levels of ghrelin in subjects eating high-protein breakfasts. These subjects were observed to eat less in the evening than subjects who ate a carb breakfast or no breakfast. Basically, eat a HPB and you won't fight your ghrelin-addled brain later in the day.

Try a couple eggs and cottage cheese in the a.m. for a week and see if you tell a difference at 7 p.m.! I'd also encourage you to read up on ghrelin. Learning about it worked big-time for me.
  • darcyshewbert
    Options
    I try to eat my larger meal at lunch. Don't. Drink too much at night or I have to go to the bathroom. I treat myself with a tootsie roll pop. It is low calorie and take a long while to suck!
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    azneee wrote: »
    Afte reading about the "hunger hormone" ghrelin awhile ago, I started eating a high protein breakfast (about 30-35 grams). I found that my evening cravings dissapeared with this change! I no longer had to fight for self-control over late in the day snacking.

Too over simplify it, ghrelin is released throughout the day to tell your brain to consume calories. I saw a study that showed if you consume only carbs for breakfast or didn't eat a breakfast at all, ghrelin levels rise, causing cravings for especially fatty and high-caloric foods later in the day. The study showed lower levels of ghrelin in subjects eating high-protein breakfasts. These subjects were observed to eat less in the evening than subjects who ate a carb breakfast or no breakfast. Basically, eat a HPB and you won't fight your ghrelin-addled brain later in the day.

Try a couple eggs and cottage cheese in the a.m. for a week and see if you tell a difference at 7 p.m.! I'd also encourage you to read up on ghrelin. Learning about it worked big-time for me.

I like this.

• Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    What I am learning is to decide if its true hunger or craving / boredom .
    If I am truly hungry I eat a healthy snack such as
    Low calorie yogurt
    Fruit
    Cottage cheese
    Protein shake
    All of these can be 100 calories or less which is far better than end up binging if you become too hungry
  • rayofsunshine2368
    rayofsunshine2368 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Rebeccamom wrote: »
    Hot tea (flavors like peppermint) helps me! It makes me feel like I'm getting something hot in me. I don't add sugar or cream, so it's 0 calories.

Rebecca

I do the same hot decaf sleepy time tea is great
  • rayofsunshine2368
    rayofsunshine2368 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    ctalimenti wrote: »
    azneee wrote: »

I like this.
    Thanks for that piece of information will try that to