Advice for early mornings?

Hi everyone, I just finished W1D3 (x2 because I've repeated W1) and I'm discouraged by my Friday runs. I've been really fortunate to have a schedule that allows me to work Friday-Sunday 12+ hour shifts, so I have Monday-Thursday off to take time and work on my fitness goals. My Monday and Wednesday runs are going well and I feel a little bit of progress, but both Friday runs have been awful. I have a mental block because I'm trying to perform at 0430, and I can barely push through the minimum. My other runs are mid-morning once I've had a chance to wake up and start my day, but I don't have that option for my third run. Any advice on getting it together, or am I going to need to accept that every Friday will be a craptastic run?

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    If you really cannot do an early run, I would consider doing a run as late as you can on Thursday. It is not ideal, one nights less rest but see how that goes. It's a choice about how you pull it together to get it to work for you. I only get Saturday and Sundays off but run most days of the week (Sunday is long run day). I have got used to running early in the mornings on an empty stomach and refueling when I get back. You need to find something that works to you, everyone's physiology is different. I struggle to run in the evenings.

Have fun and well done for starting this awesome programme.
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    I also have a hard time with early mornings. I agree to try to do a late Thursday. It won't give you as much time in between the runs, but it might be more successful. Good luck!
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    I am not an early morning workout person either. Like you, I find that mid-morning is when I'm at my best. I actually feel like I am more tired through out the day if I work out early in the am, even if I'm not actually getting up early. I also agree to try to do your third run on Thursday. You're doing great!
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    C25k doesn't require a day off between runs like strength training does. You can do it every day if you want. It's just suggested to do it at least 3 days a week to keep in a routine.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    edited February 2015
    C25k doesn't require a day off between runs like strength training does. You can do it every day if you want. It's just suggested to do it at least 3 days a week to keep in a routine.

I disagree. Taking a rest day in between runs helps prevent injury.

Are you eating anything before you run? I find that having a protein bar or a peanut butter sandwich before my morning runs seems to make them go easier. (There are some things that I can't eat before running though! Bananas make me queasy.)
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited February 2015
    I wasn't saying not to take rest days, just that it's not necessary. You can do cardio every day if you wished, there are many programs that do, like T25 or Insanity. One of the great parts about the C25k program is that it is very flexible.

For me, I usually get up at 4am and I'm running by 4:15-4:20ish. I don't eat anything until after the run, just a glass of water to rehydrate after sleeping.