Adding Stronglifts?

Options
bonniejo
bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
I was thinking about adding Stronglifts to my routine. This is my current routine:

Mon: Step and strength (50% intense step aerobics, 40% high rep lifting or body weight exercise, 10% stretching)
Tues: Rest (could lift here)
Wed: Step and strength
Thurs: Step and strength
Fri: Rest (could lift here)
Sat: Pure step
Sun: Rest (could lift here)
Fitbit reads 10,000-13,000 steps per day, but I'm a student so am relatively sedentary most of the time. I also do 20-30 minutes of other exercises (Bosu, TRX, floor) most days.

Although there are 3 days I could lift, I'm nervous about not having a rest day. I was thinking about taking Tuesdays as my rest since I have step and strength Wednesday and Thursday, although taking Fridays off is certainly appealing! I've already noticed some muscle definition and strength gains from my class, but want to accelerate them. I love my class, it's often the best part of my day (sad, I know), so I don't want to drop it.

Currently eating 1700-1750 calories/day, losing about .5 lbs/week, which is what I am aiming for. BF varies from 22-29% depending on the method used, since I have a small waist but large thighs. Weight 134 lbs, height 64 inches. 110 g protein/day.

Is it a good idea to start stronglifts now? Should I wait until I'm at my goal weight and eating at maintenance? If I add stronglifts, should I increase carbs and calories on lifting days? I'm worried about feeling even hungrier if I add something without increasing calories, I've been ravenous lately. Thanks for the feedback!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a 3day/wk workout. I liked it, but you will want to cut back on the step and strength. Here's an example of how you could work it out:
    Monday: lift
    Tuesday: pure step
    Wednesday: lift
    Thursday: rest
    Friday: lift
    Saturday: pure step
    Sunday: rest
    If you are into doing morning and evening workouts, you could lift in the morning and do one step and strength in the evening on a non-lift day or on the weekend. I would not recommend doing a step and strength on the same day as you lift. Heavy lifting is different than the cardio sculpt classes and your body needs more recovery time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    bonniejo wrote: »
    Is it a good idea to start stronglifts now? Should I wait until I'm at my goal weight and eating at maintenance? If I add stronglifts, should I increase carbs and calories on lifting days? I'm worried about feeling even hungrier if I add something without increasing calories, I've been ravenous lately. Thanks for the feedback!

Only during start of strength training do you get the rare opportunity to gain strength and muscle while losing fat.

You won't get that later, not as well anyway.

You would of course eat more calories if you are burning more, to maintain the same deficit.

And you would likely find yourself hungry in the 12-36 hrs after the workout when body is repairing - eating more on the same day may leave you really hungry the next day when you really could use it.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    So heybales, are you saying that it's worth doing right now, since I'll be mostly beginner with my strength/muscle gains?

How many more calories should I add on the days after my lifting? 100? 200? Thanks for the advice :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It's about 3.5 x resting calorie burn for that type of lifting, that's what MFP has as Strength Training in the database, so just use that.
    It's not huge compared to cardio, but it still counts.

And yes, start now. Last month actually! oh wait.