Request for Challenges

OK...Megan had a GREAT idea...she suggested we have mini challenges to keep us motivated. So my question to all of you is...would you like to try daily challenges, weekly challenges or monthly challenges? And what are some of the things you struggle with most that a challenge may help with? For example if getting enough water in is your weakness...maybe trying to drink 1/2 your weight in oz of water 3 x a week would be our challenge for that week. If exercising is your weakness maybe trying a whole new workout that you have never done before 2x a week then 3x the next week etc. We can do these challenges together and post our successes!
Anyone up for some challenges please chime in with some ideas and suggestions and I will put together some challenges based on what we would like to work on...we could start next week end. :D Thanks Megan!!!!

Replies

• barlovo
    barlovo Posts: 151 Member
    Great idea! I like the idea of a weekly challenge that we can all try together.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    I love the idea! I was reading about a squat challenge yesterday
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-28-day-squat-challenge-youll-want-to-start-now/
    I would love to do this one, I can't do squats, but would like to learn and practice.
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    I love the idea. I also think weekly is a good idea.
  • MdwstQT
    MdwstQT Posts: 230 Member
    I'm in! I think weekly challenges are a great way to go.

Some ideas I have:
    -Exercise challenge: I'm struggling in this area.

-Body positive challenge: Affirm positive things about ourselves.

Just a few ideas. I can't wait!
  • FindingCindy721
    FindingCindy721 Posts: 834 Member
    OK looks like our 1st challenge will be the squat challenge! It's actually a 28 day challenge and there are rest days built right in to this challenge. I will also make a smaller weekly challenge including MdwstQTs idea for the positive affirmation challenge! We will start these next Sunday! I will start a post for both later in the week!!! :)
  • mysticlizard
    I'm so excited!!!
  • MdwstQT
    :D I'm geeked!
  • FindingCindy721
    OK...so I've been thinking about the 1st challenge. Since we are all at different levels of ability , I don't want to leave anyone out and some people may have certain exercises that they just HATE or can't do (do to an injury from years ago...I can not do a push up on the floor)...I put together a list of half a dozen basic exercises that work out different parts of our body ( I LOVE an all over work out). I was thinking we could start off light with a few reps of each one and increase our number of reps as well as build on difficulty weekly (or as we are ready)... many of them have harder variations that we can try as we get better. What are your thoughts?
    Here's what I was thinking to start off...
    1. The Plank
    The plank pose is a personal trainer favorite because it is simple enough to perform anywhere, and it works your body’s entire core. It also can help to elongate the spine, strengthen the arms and wrists, and increase balance. To Perform a Modified Plank: Begin by facing the floor on your hands and knees. Inhale and draw the body up and walk the hands forward until you are on your toes, and your hands are beneath your shoulders. Tighten your stomach muscles and try to maintain a straight line from your shoulders all the way to your heels. Exhale and breathe slowly with the neck relaxed and the eyes looking toward the floor. Hold the pose for 15 seconds, and then release. Repeat 5x.
    Modified

gpoc2a0l71o2.jpg

full plank

rk92vwpbwv77.jpg

2.. The Superman Pose
    The Superman Pose targets the three main muscles that run along the spine and helps to prevent injuries, improve posture, and eliminate back and neck pain. To Perform the Superman Pose: Begin by lying down on a comfortable flat surface, like a yoga mat. Extend your arms over your head, with your elbows shoulder-width apart. Slowly and simultaneously, inhale while you lift your arms and your legs slightly off of the floor, putting your weight on your abdomen. Hold for a count of 5, and then exhale as you release back to the floor. Repeat the exercise 5x.
    goocmczrc1t5.jpg

3. Side-Lying Leg Lifts
    Side-lying leg lifts are easy for anyone to perform and target the hips and outer thighs. To Perform Side-Lying Leg Lifts: Lie on your side with your legs stacked and your head resting on your arm. Tighten the top leg and lift it directly up into the air. Be careful to keep your hips perpendicular to the floor and the body in a straight line. Hold the leg in the air for 1 count, lower it until it touches your bottom leg, and then lift it again. Repeat 10-15 times on each side.
    kxw979uvnu3l.jpg

4. Assisted Squats
    This beginner move is a modified version of traditional squats and targets the muscles of the lower body, including the thighs, hips, and butt. It is also effective at building core strength and strengthening the bones, ligaments, and tendons of the lower body. To Perform an Assisted Squat: Stand tall with the feet shoulder-width apart in front of a chair. Place your arms out in front of you for balance. Push into your heels as you inhale and slowly bend your legs, keeping your chest open and your head held high. Lower your body and stop just before your butt hits the chair. Exhale as you push into your heels and returning to a standing position. Repeat 10-15 times.
    grs9xl66l38n.jpg

5. Modified Pushups
    Like traditional pushups, modified pushups target the arms, chest, shoulders, and core. To Perform a Modified Pushup: Stand in front of a wall, chair, or piece of sturdy furniture with your arms shoulder-width apart. With your palms flat against the wall, walk your feet out until your body is at a slant. Exhale, bend your elbows, and lean into the wall. Inhale and push your body back to starting position. Be careful to maintain a straight line from your neck to your heels. Repeat 10-15 times.
    acaxc1qdjo7p.jpg

6.Pelvic tilts
    Lie on your back and bend your knees so that your feet are flat on the floor. Slide your arms out to your sides at 45-degree angles, palms facing up. Tighten your core, then squeeze your glutes to lift your hips an inch off the floor. This is the starting position. Raise your hips toward the ceiling until your body forms a straight line from shoulders to knees. Pause, then lower to the starting position. That's one rep. Do 10-15.
    9lkwk4qrupns.jpg

Let me know what you all think!

• barlovo
    barlovo Posts: 151 Member
    Cindy this isgreat. There a couple of these that I can't do because of injury but others are really good for me. Since there are lots of options we can each pick the exercises that we can do and report back on our daily commitment and reps.
  • mysticlizard
    I look forward to trying and doing them. Then do we start?
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    This is a great allrounder Cindy.

The plank is actually hardcore, ladies you may want to try three times 15 seconds. It is a fantastic burn for sure.

Since I do Curves three times a week, I am doing all of these already. When you all start your challenges, I will either add an additional step day, or add extra step days to my day.

I don't mind starting on Sunday
  • FindingCindy721
    I'm glad everybody so far is happy with the challenge I'm excited!
    I was thinking of starting Sunday and you can choose what days you want to do them through out the week! You can do 3 days or 5 days...whatever days fit into your schedule! :) You just post your results as you do them!
    If you can do more...go for it! I started light so we could build up slowly!
  • MdwstQT
    I'm so in :)