paleo mayonnaise-mayoleo?

Options
ladychloe
ladychloe Posts: 12 Member
I just made my first batch of homemade mayo and ate some on top of eggs this morning. It came out runny but not broken....so I'm counting it a success. Anyone else tried this? Any tips/hints/idiot proof recipes?

Replies

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I tried to make paleo mayo once and that was enough for me. Now I just buy Sir Kensington's. ;)
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Google "no-fail paleo mayo." It's made with an immersion blender. I bought my immersion blender for bulletproof coffee, but I found I LOVE making mayo with it as well. I used to make mayo in my blender. It took forever, drizzling the oil in ever so slowly, and my blender had a plastic jar which was a pain to wash after blending grease. Now I just make the mayo in a 1 pint wide-mouth mason jar, it takes 30 seconds, I don't even have to wait for the egg to warm to room temperature, and it works every time! And when I'm done, I just put the lid on the jar and put the jar in the fridge.

Video here:
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/39474749548/whole30-day-2-paleo-mayonnaise

This is my go-to recipe:
    http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/
    (I like to add a tsp dry mustard, or crushed garlic, for extra flavor; and I have substituted raw apple cider vinegar when I've been out of lemons without a problem.)

Oh, and I now use my IKEA milk-frother most days for BP coffee. It works, and the cleanup is really simple.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I make paleo mayo all the time. A little olive oil some egg yolk, garlic, lemon and mustard. Delicious! My favorite is using macadamia nut oil.

It's easier to make in a food processor though. Skip the emersion blender. I use this mayo to make all my salad dressings. We'll eat it with avocados, or we'll just dip veggies into it. It's dinner quite often.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I use avocado oil when I make mine. I LOVE it!!
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I use this recipe and it works every time! http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

She says the key is to have the egg at room temperature. I have a mini food processor that I use but the video shows a traditional blender.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you have to drizzle the oil in slowly, I don't consider it easy. That's why I got tired of making mayo with my Blendtec blender (along with the inconvenience of getting grease off the plastic). I love, with the immersion blender method, the fact that you just throw all the ingredients in a jar, you don't have to worry about whether they're room temperature, you don't have to slowly drizzle oil in and worry about the mayo breaking. You put the immersion blender in, turn it on, like magic mayo forms in the bottom of the jar, you slowly (and way faster than slowly drizzling oil in the other methods!) pull the immersion blender upward, and end up with mayo from bottom to top. To me, it's much less hassle.

It used to take me 40 minutes to make mayo. 30 minutes to wait for the egg to warm up to room temperature. 10 minutes of slowly drizzling oil into my running blender. Now I can make mayo in a little over 30 seconds -- just enough time to put egg, oil, and seasonings in a jar and then blend it up.

My food processor isn't any better than my blender, for this task. It also has a plastic bowl, which is a real pain to wash grease off of. The metal stick on my immersion blender is a breeze to clean after making mayo. So, to each his own. The "no-fail" recipe works for me. I won't try to talk you out of using your food processor, though, if that method works well for you.
  • punchgut
    Options
    It takes me less than 5 minutes to make mayo. I actually do an aioli, but regardless. I take cloves of garlic and smash them up in a mortar with some salt. Add lemon juice to that and stir. While that sits, grab the food processor and two or three yolks (depending on volume of oil 1 or 2 cups) and 1-3 tsp. of dijon mustard, a little salt and pepper. Assemble the processor with the yolk/mustard mixture and add garlic lemon juice. Turn processor on and pour oil through the opening at a steady stream (not a drizzle/not a dump). Done. Taste for seasoning and adjust. If mayo is too thick add more lemon juice. Too thin add more oil.

Toss mayo in storage container and throw processor in the dishwasher. Not hard at all and room temp. egg yolk doesn't make a huge difference, even if you're whisking by hand.
  • ColwellCat
    ColwellCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do the magic stick blender in a jar method - so ludicrously easy. I used to use my food processor which was certainly not difficult, but stick blender in a jar all the way. Same method also makes a mean hollandaise.
  • punchgut
    Options
    MMMM. Hollandaise!!!
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I use avocado oil and use the recipe in well fed 2 cookbook. I make it in a blender and it is delicious but if you don't add the oil REALLY slow it won't thicken and stays runny and there is no saving it. I have made it 3 times successfully and failed twice so not easy!!!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't have the exact measurements but I make mine with olive oil or Mary's oil blend if I've made it (equal parts untoasted sesame, olive and coconut oil) and add a tablespoon of homemade whey liquid. Then I leave it at room temp for 24 hours. It keeps longer in the fridge (up to a month) and beneficial bacteria proliferates. I realize that not everyone has homemade whey around and I don't know if using plain powdered whey would work...sorry this is not actually all the helpful. I've never made it in the jar with the immersion blender but I will definately try it!
  • KombuchaCat
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Update, I made the whey mayo last night with the immersion blender and it worked GREAT! I'm never using the blender or food processor to make it again. My recipe is 1 cup olive oil or Mary's Oil blend, 1 large egg, 1 tablespoon whey liquid, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, generous pinch of salt. Let sit 8 hours at room temp to activate the enzymes in the whey. Probiotic mayo!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    For those who still have bad luck making mayo, don't have the equipment, or just don't want to make it, Mark Sisson's Primal Kitchen mayo is out! It's currently only available at Thrive Market, but you can get free month trials and membership discounts or whatever to pick up a jar or three. It was literally just released...like...today, so there's the new item rush thing right now (so it may be on back order when you try to buy it), but it should settle down after a while.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-kitchen-mayo-is-now-available-plus-a-chance-to-win
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Google "no-fail paleo mayo." It's made with an immersion blender. I bought my immersion blender for bulletproof coffee, but I found I LOVE making mayo with it as well. I used to make mayo in my blender. It took forever, drizzling the oil in ever so slowly, and my blender had a plastic jar which was a pain to wash after blending grease. Now I just make the mayo in a 1 pint wide-mouth mason jar, it takes 30 seconds, I don't even have to wait for the egg to warm to room temperature, and it works every time! And when I'm done, I just put the lid on the jar and put the jar in the fridge.

I've made this Mayo and it is fantastic and crazy easy!!!! No waiting for things to come to room temp and has the texture and consistency of Hellman's but tastes WAY better! LOL

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to use the best quality oil you can, especially if you are using olive oil. Bad oil will be bitter and that bitterness will carry through to the aioli.
  • tshirtartist
    Options
    Kombuchacat what is whey liquid and where do you get it?
  • Victoriakitten
    Options
    I agree with the immersion blender technique being the easiest. my biggest tip would be to make sure to bring all ingredients especially the eggs, to room temp before you start :smiley:
  • KombuchaCat
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Kombuchacat what is whey liquid and where do you get it?

Whey is the liquid that separates out of dairy (like the rhyme curds and whey :smile: ) I make my own out of plain whole milk yogurt. You put the yogurt in some cheesecloth (I put a double layer over a large mesh strainer) and suspend it covered with a dishtowel over a bowl for about 24 hours. The whey drips out and you also have cream cheese in the cheesecloth. The whey will keep in the fridge for something like 4 months and you can use it to ferment veggies, make beet kvass, the mayo, sometimes I add some to smoothies. FYI the cream cheese does not last too long, I would eat it within the week.
  • tshirtartist
    Options
    Just tried immersion blender and it worked like a charm! WooHoo! No more drizzling oil in for 5 minutes.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    After over two and a half years of trying to make my own mayo, I finally found a win. I'm really picky on the flavour so.... Recently I had bought refined (yes refined!), cold pressed avocado oil. It's even lighter and less flavourful than light olive oil. It made the best mayo I've had so far. I wouldn't eat it in huge quantities all the time because it's my opinion that animal fats are best for me, but I haven't ever felt the need to go crazy with mayo since going Paleo anyway. I used immersion blender too, but did pour it in somewhat slowly. It also was the best consistency of any mayo I've ever made as well... besides baconnaise (which is AMAZING btw).