Encouragement and Goals for February

Options
PaytraB
PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
Our motivation group did really well in January. I thought it might be nice to start another thread for February. We could list our goals (if we have any) or just drop by every day or so to encourage and comment on anything at all.

Who's in? If you have specific goals, what are they? How's the weather in your area? What's new?

Replies

• PaytraB
    Options
    I have a general "100Kms walked and run" goal each month in order to (hopefully) walk & run 1200 Kilometers by the end of the year. I reached 91 Km in January but I pulled my back and didn't walk or run for a few days. Guess my February goal is 109Km, to make up for it. February is a short month, so I may not reach that goal but that's okay.....there's always March. :smile:
    I'm (virtually) walking & running the Trans Canada Trail. I enter my mileage on my exercise days onto the Trans Canada Trail website and it tracks my progress. I started in Victoria, BC and am currently about 60Km North of Calgary, Alberta. It's taken me about 2 years.

My plan for today is to go for a run after work. I hope the rain will stop so that I can run outdoors (much nicer than the treadmill).

• Chr1ssyH0ys
    Chr1ssyH0ys Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love that you can virtually walk like that, can you tell us more about it?
    Do you "see" any scenery??
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Chrissy, people can upload pictures that they've taken on the trail at the points that they took the pictures, so there can be some scenery in some places. Just visit their website (http://tctrail.ca/).
    As for one's own personal walking map, you have to sign up and then just start entering your mileage. It shows a little walking figure that moves the distance you entered so that you can see your progress across the map of Canada. It's a fun, motivational thing to do.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Yesterday, I ran/walked on the treadmill for 9.1K (ran 7K, walked 2.1K). I got home early from work and decided to use that extra time working out. I finished listening to The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver during this time. Really good book! Anyone read it?
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Tai-chi class tonight. The instructor actually said I was improving on a move tonight! Then he corrected many other moves. LOL!
    Next week, I may be the sole student and get a private lesson. It would be hard but I'd learn a lot.
  • Chr1ssyH0ys
    Chr1ssyH0ys Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Paytra, sounds like you are doing awesomely well and have heaps of motivation.....well done!!
  • nev888
    nev888 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My goal for February is just to maintain/not gain. On vacation for 2 weeks starting the 17th - looking forward to some sun and sand but will need to watch my eating/drinking. Not normally a big drinker, but those pina coladas taste so good.... and packed with calories.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Nancy, that's a good goal. Vacations are tricky but I know you'll do great.
    I should add a goal of losing a pound or two. I think I gained some weight but I don't have a scale so I'm not quite sure. It just looks like my belly is a bit bigger. Anyway, I'm just keeping a careful eye on the snacking this month. Too many snacks have been finding their way into my lunch bag. Boo! Luckily, I'm loving the pomelos at this time of year and am eating a lot of segments in my lunch each day.
    Went for a run after work on the treadmill (it's pouring rain outside). Ran 6K and then had a cool-down walk.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    How did everyone do this week? Anything new?

I've been watching my intake a bit. I haven't cut back on meals or good snacks but have cut way back on the snacking. Snack foods have been sneaking their way into my lunch bag and I've been noshing in the evenings, too. That's stopped this week.

I've gotten out for 3 run/walks for a total distance of 24.5K (ran 19K of that) and I've practiced tai-chi twice already and had one lesson.

All in all, it's been a great week. Much better than for a long time.

I'm planning a family dinner for Chinese New Year in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to that.
  • 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    New goal for this month would be to get below 140, 3 pounds. I feel like that's asking a lot, as I've been stuck at 141 for the last month, and have been at 142 all week. Had appendectomy on Monday, so exercise has been limited, coupled with being at home all day. I really haven't over done it on the food, but lack of my being able to go the grocery store makes it difficult to have all of my normal food choices around the house. I've been on a couple of mild walks this week, more just for the movement and healing of my body than the "exercise" benefits, and I plan on hitting the gym tomorrow. Unfortunately it will likely be the treadmill only, and not hard core, but I've got to do what I've got to do. The hardest part of going to the gym will likely be carting my gym bag as I load it up pretty good.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Take care of yourself, 3lilkids.
    You can do this. How frustrating that those 3 lbs. won't go away! It will happen!! You can do this. Sometimes our bodies just stick at a weight for awhile but then it comes off. Hang in there.

I had hoped to run outside today but it was raining (again) so I ran on the treadmill. After 5K, I walked for a few minutes, then ran another 1K on an incline of 3. I'm going to try to include some hill work from now on. There is one hilly route in my neighbourhood and I'm very slow running up that hill. Next spring, I plan on running it a titch quicker (I'll never be fast).
  • walker306
    walker306 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I got a swim in today before work at the Y. I haven't been swimming in a while so it is nice to change it up. So...to treat myself, I bought myself a snorkel and a bathing cap (ordered it online). Should get it in a couple days. When I took my bathing suit off, I noticed it is starting to disintegrate ...because it is 100 years old and very unstylish...so I am looking forward to getting a new bathing suit now. So I will be pumped to go swimming in all my new duds soon! Anything to motivate me!

Tomorrow I will be doing the elliptical and lifting.