Wheat flour substitute recipe

Options
Yields 5 cups. Nice to have on hand when cooking and baking.

2 1/2 cups rice flour
1 cup potato starch flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

Sift all together in bowl and mix. Store in a freezer bag in the freezer.

You can double recipe but combine mixture individually and then mix together in a bowl. Credit to Gluten Free Cooking for Dummies.

Replies

• ddailey0689
    Options
    Why not use coconut or almond flour?
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Why not use coconut or almond flour?

Have you ever tried baking with coconut or almond flour? They're not the same as wheat flour. You're texture and flavor will be completely off. They certainly have their uses, but they don't replace wheat flour.
  • kcarty1
    kcarty1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you bake with it the same way as white flour or only in place of whole wheat flour? Thanks
  • WillCams
    Options
    You just have to learn how to cook/bake with the alternative flour. It cannot just sub them for wheat flour. Coconut flour is very drying that is why recipes using it has so many eggs and/or liquid as it sucks up liquid. Have used it alot for all sorts of muffins and pancakes. At first had many 'opps', but finally got the hang of it. It was like learning to bake again. Personally I prefer it to starches. A little goes a very long way so you will see recipes calling for 3 tbsp or 3/4 cup, as it lasts a while. I tend to bake with nut butters rather than nut flour so cannot comment on almond flour. I can give you a great almond butter pancake that is cooked in the oven and takes 10 mins. Any nut butter would work I guess. I found it on the internet looking for grain free cooking. Pinterest has loads