Need advice

Options
I am 20 years old, height 5' 2", weight 70 kg.
I just decided to loose the weight. And i need help.
I live with friends in an apartment and my parents live in another country. So i need help in order to know what to cook and what is healthy.
Please give me tips and advices.

Replies

• dmcrawley
    Options
    I started my journey almost one year ago and have since lost almost 100 lbs. Start slowly so you aren't overwhelmed. First, try to begin eating more plant based foods and begin to weed out processed foods. Lots of water. Work towards a gallon a day. And TRACK TRACK TRACK what you eat. Then begin to move by walking and stretching. Next, educate yourself. Here are some sites I found helpful.

Vegetariantimes.com
    Allrecipes.com

Watch some documentaries about food and our bodies that are free on Netflix or Amazon Prime. Some of my favorites are:

Hungry for a Change
    Fat Sick and Nearly Dead
    Forks over Knives
  • crispywalker
    crispywalker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    To lose and keep weight off... make sure it's a change you can keep for life. I started with no coke, soda, etc. Small changes can add up after many years!
  • mom2atw
    Options
    The best advice I have gotten EVER is to "add the good foods in and crowd the bad out" don't go cold turkey and feel like a failure if you eat something bad. Add in the good and keep adding. Then you don't fail.

Try adding lettuce, spinach to every meal. I made chili the other day and instead of eating it in a bowl - I dumped it over a bed of greens. My daughter laughed at me making a salad outta everything. Why not right!?

Each shopping trip grab some more produce. Cuties are a super easy snack. (Clementines or tangerines)

Change it up. If you like pancakes - how about making the one banana mashed with two eggs recipe instead. Tastes awesome with a little cinnamon and topped with some yummy berries or pure maple syrup.

• TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    mom2atw wrote: »
    The best advice I have gotten EVER is to "add the good foods in and crowd the bad out" don't go cold turkey and feel like a failure if you eat something bad. Add in the good and keep adding. Then you don't fail.

Try adding lettuce, spinach to every meal. I made chili the other day and instead of eating it in a bowl - I dumped it over a bed of greens. My daughter laughed at me making a salad outta everything. Why not right!?

Each shopping trip grab some more produce. Cuties are a super easy snack. (Clementines or tangerines)

Change it up. If you like pancakes - how about making the one banana mashed with two eggs recipe instead. Tastes awesome with a little cinnamon and topped with some yummy berries or pure maple syrup.

I completely agree. When you really start eating enough nutritious foods to get what you need for the day, there isn't much room left for junk.
  • devoslosingit
    devoslosingit Posts: 48 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Dont beat yourself up if you slide back. Everyone has at least once. You'll start craving processed food as you cut it out more because of all the chemicals companies put into them to make them taste better or last longer. What really helps me when I'm craving something processed is looking at the ingredients and reminding myself that they are not healthy for me (specially the ones you cant pronounce or that are in bold black letters). If you don't know much about those then research them. For example general mills cereals have TSP which is a cleaner used by painters before they paint. Eating clean is a long road and you will learn more and more as you keep at it. The more you learn the more you'll want to eat clean!
    #1: try to shop on the outer parts of the stores, example vegi's, fresh meats, dairy
  • dishasareen94
    dishasareen94 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thankyou All :)
    That really helped .
  • fathan2slimhan
    fathan2slimhan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello all I too would like to eat cleaner and healthier and this feed just helped very much.
  • FORAPURPOSE
    FORAPURPOSE Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone, dmcrawley I will be checking out netflix and amazon I am one to believe that changing our eating will help and it is hard if you are use to eating one way lol on the chili TBrownCVT.
  • giro629
    giro629 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've found the glycemic index helpful. Pick a numer on the index (50?) and avoid anything higher on the index that that - the inevitable result is that you end up eating more whole grains, beans and veges. Good luck and enjoy the journey