La Tortilla factory low carb tortillas

Options
RenaTX
RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
Hi I'm wondering about whether this is a safe option for someone who is trying to remain in ketosis ?

I'm currently count net carbs right now and one of these are low net carbs.

I'm not really sure how processed foods work in regards to net carbs. I understand with unprocessed foods such as a vegetable that I can see how the about of fiber can balance out the carbs but does it work the same with processed foods?

I can't wrap my head around it. Doesn't seem logical to me. If I baked some bread with a few tablespoons of Metamucil powder into it does it lower the carb count?

Thanks for putting up with my silly question!

Replies

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    RenaTX wrote: »
    I can't wrap my head around it. Doesn't seem logical to me. If I baked some bread with a few tablespoons of Metamucil powder into it does it lower the carb count?

You can't add fiber to something with a lot of carbs and reduce the net carb count. You can replace (or limit) the carb heavy ingredients with something loaded with fiber though. It looks like this brand mentions Oat Fiber and Soy Flour high up on the ingredient list along with the standard carb heavy wheat flour, so they're making some replacements to try to limit the amount of standard flour required. This may or may not heavily impact the taste as well.

I am generally distrusting of products like these. I'm not sure if they've come up here before, as searching MFP is just awful, but I've seen discussions about various low carb tortillas over on reddit's keto sub, there are definitely some people who use some brands of them and say they have no issues with them.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=tortillas&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

There's a search of the keto sub on "tortillas", feel free to browse through some of the discussions.

As for specific advice, I would suggest not messing with a lot of "replacement" items like these if you are new to keto. Once you're keto adapted (in ketosis solidly and comfortably for a couple months), maybe try one and see how your blood sugar reacts compared to normal keto meals, and see if you get kicked out or not.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Your net carbs are total carbs minus fiber/sugar alcohols. If you add something like metamucil you aren't cancelling out anything...you are adding to the total carbs while adding fiber...so it really doesn't have an affect on net carb count.

I also try to shy away from replacement low carb items such as bread and tortillas. It can be a slippery slope for me. Its easier for me to stick to my goals that way. However you are correct that the net carbs would be fiber subtracted from total carbs...but like the PP it might still knock you out of ketosis, everyone is different.
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have eaten the tortilla shells from time to time. I personally think they taste very good, but I am cautious of these food alternatives. If I eat one, I typically do it sparingly and only when nothing else will help my craving. This is one of those items where YMMV, it could cause you to stall or you might be fine. Also, with the Metamucil if I'm not mistaken also has carbs in the product so it will not reduce your carb count, otherwise we would probably be adding fiber products to our foods =)
  • RenaTX
    Options
    My last question was really in jest :smile: I say that JIC anyone really did take me seriously. I don't think you did but you know .. internet communication and all.

Dang Metamucil has carbs too? There goes that idea LOL.

Anyways thanks for that link to reddit. I may try it and see how it does. I do have Quest bars which has the extra fiber and ends up with a low net carb amount and I haven't had issue so maybe an occasional use of this product won't hurt.

Thank You!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I don't know about low carb tortillas, and I love all the great info there, but I do want to say that the Joseph's Lavash Flatbreads Wraps (particularly the variety with flax seed taste pretty good and work great for a pizza substitute if you don't want to go the cauliflower or cheese crust method. I haven't done this in months and months, long before LCHF, but the calories are 80 cals per wrap, half a wrap is a serving is 7 grams carbs, but 3 is fiber, so Net 4 grams carbs. Obviously not something to do all the time, but the flavor is quite good - or was to me then. I don't know about now. The original ones are flimsy and can tear when used as a wrap, but the specialty ones are sturdier.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My last question was really in jest :smile: I say that JIC anyone really did take me seriously. I don't think you did but you know .. internet communication and all.

Thank You!!!
    No problem!
    Honestly I think I have seen someone get confused in all seriousness about adding fiber but not realizing it does add to the total carb count and net carb confusion, so yes I did take it seriously! Lost in internet translation lol

• RenaTX
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »

Thank You!!!
    No problem!
    Honestly I think I have seen someone get confused in all seriousness about adding fiber but not realizing it does add to the total carb count and net carb confusion, so yes I did take it seriously! Lost in internet translation lol

Ha ha ! I don't blame you for thinking I was serious if you have ran across this question a few times already. I'm a newbie! I'll admit it :) I probably will ask some obviously silly questions for sure so no worries :) Thank You for helping me.
  • RenaTX
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I don't know about low carb tortillas, and I love all the great info there, but I do want to say that the Joseph's Lavash Flatbreads Wraps (particularly the variety with flax seed taste pretty good and work great for a pizza substitute if you don't want to go the cauliflower or cheese crust method. I haven't done this in months and months, long before LCHF, but the calories are 80 cals per wrap, half a wrap is a serving is 7 grams carbs, but 3 is fiber, so Net 4 grams carbs. Obviously not something to do all the time, but the flavor is quite good - or was to me then. I don't know about now. The original ones are flimsy and can tear when used as a wrap, but the specialty ones are sturdier.

Thank You for the suggestion! I'll have to see if they are in my store or not.