calories

Options
embersdream
embersdream Posts: 401 Member
according to the keto calculator i needed to up my cals, which i have done. at first weight still came off and now its slowing a bit. should i lower my total calorie intake? or hmmm. more exercise . or is 1400 cals a day just right? its more than i have eaten in a long time.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What's your height/weight/exercise routine?
  • embersdream
    Options
    5"7 173 pounds at the moment only very light exercise due to injury. but i did the body mass calculations and they were pretty low for that, 27% . just not sure whilst on keto if it matters so much or not?
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1400 sounds low for someone your height/weight. Unless your metabolism is seriously damaged, I think you could eat more and still lose weight. Which calculator puts you at 1400 calories? How many pounds per week deficit is that?

When I put the stats you've provided here an on your profile into http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/, using sedentary, your basal metabolic rate comes up as 1493 and TDEE comes in at 1792. I see in your profile on your ticker, you want to lose 5 kg/11 lbs, so losing it very quickly would be difficult.

Using a 15% deficit, it shows 1523 cals, 20 g carbs (5%), 90 g protein (24%), and 120 g fat (71%). You can also see a predicted date for your weight loss goal.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I had to put my deficit to 27% to get the calories DOWN to an amount I can handle eating at 1500. 5% Carb 20 % Protein 75% Fat.

I have no problem with eating under the 1500 calories and keeping my macros in line or close. Carbs for me are the most important number. I have to work to eat 1400 calories. Do it well for a few days then slide back to the 1200-1300. Could it be I really am not eating enough overall?

So confused on all of this. I am F 65 5'5" 208, I used light activity but some times I really work hard. People always tell me how hard I am working even hubby. I walk but not daily. I do light Cable Flex resistance exercise about 4-5 times a week. Do not even break a sweat but it is cold in my work out room. I feel like I am causing my stall of over three weeks.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    So confused on all of this. I am F 65 5'5" 208, I used light activity but some times I really work hard.

One common strategy here is to just put sedentary to get a baseline amount of calories and then adjust based on how active you were that day.

Of course, that would lower your calories on your off days. Honestly though I *really* don't think a 27% deficit is going to trigger any sort of starvation mode or anything, but maybe changing something up for a few days could break it, who knows.

What does your carb/protein/fat ratio come out to in grams? When you run the keto calc are you at the very low end of the protein suggestion? With more activity you want to go a bit above the minimum there and that might end up increasing your calories since that might decrease fat a little (you may already be doing this).
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My protein is set for 75, Min is 65 Max is 113. I rarely go over and when I do it is not by much.

Carb is 19, Protein 75, Fat 125. Calories set for 1500.

My food log is open. I do try hard to eat more. It seems I go along in the 1200-to 1300 calorie range then one or two days I really do feel hungry for meat so I go with how I feel knowing I am always within range. So every few days my macros are much higher but within range. It appears to be a pattern with me. And honestly I have just added coconut oil to my tea last thing to get the calories and fat up. Some times taking another bite of food is just out of the question.

Yesterday I was 4 tenth of a pound down and this morning I was 2 more tenths down so maybe tomorrow will be the magical day and I will drop down to the next pound. I do not log the tenths because they go up and down too fast.
  • embersdream
    Options
    1400 sounds low for someone your height/weight. Unless your metabolism is seriously damaged, I think you could eat more and still lose weight. Which calculator puts you at 1400 calories? How many pounds per week deficit is that?

When I put the stats you've provided here an on your profile into http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/, using sedentary, your basal metabolic rate comes up as 1493 and TDEE comes in at 1792. I see in your profile on your ticker, you want to lose 5 kg/11 lbs, so losing it very quickly would be difficult.

Using a 15% deficit, it shows 1523 cals, 20 g carbs (5%), 90 g protein (24%), and 120 g fat (71%). You can also see a predicted date for your weight loss goal.
    i need to update the ticker!! haha. i have to have surgery soon and need to lose about 20 pounds give or take and so going the lower end of the scale. !! but yep 1479 sounds more accurate. thankyou! and i meant that my fat 5 was 25% but i thought it shouldve been more like 27% and id like it to be about 21-22

• embersdream
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    What's your height/weight/exercise routine?
    not a lot of exercise, some walking , as i need surgery and am a bit impaired physically at present. ( i need a knee recon, torn cruciate off the knee doing trail running)