Why MCT oil?

Options
photo_kyla
photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
I've read a lot of posts on the LCHF and Keto forums talking about MCT oil and I'm hoping someone can answer some questions. What is MCT oil? What does it come from? How do you use it? What are the benefits of using it over, say, coconut oil? Is it worth the roughly $1/oz price?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I've never personally understood the purported benefits of it. If I was even slightly convinced, I would probably just go with coconut oil (because of price). But, I don't even bother with that.

Some people say they handle it better than coconut oils or other fats. MCTs are known to raise ketone levels, but I've never seen any evidence that those increased ketone levels are identical (in regards to weight loss) as those raised by carb/protein restriction.
  • aggie2145
    aggie2145 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I took the bait and bought some MCT oil to see what the fuss was all about. I did not notice any difference than TJ's Coconut Oil in my daily butter coffee.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It is just coconut oil with the long chain fats removed based on what I read. It makes my stomach ache for some reason but coconut oil does not. I think coconut oil is 62% MCT's.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I used MCT oil during a business trip to fatten up my coffee, since I didn't trust packing coconut oil and a blender in checked luggage. :)

One thing potentially in its favor is that the taste is neutral, where unrefined coconut oil tastes quite like coconut.